I'm Really Losing Interest - Is this game even worth finishing?

Nebrule

I've been trying to find a realistic way to work all the side quests into the character arch of the main line but really just can't. I don't see why you would bother to hunt eddie winter tapes when you are instantly told to go to the glowing sea after the memory den.

I don't see why you would go help a settlement acrossed the commonwealth when you just survived a deathclaw attack, saved a group of people and need to go to diamond city to find your son.

The entire writing of the main quest was horribly pigeon holed.

They have so many chances to say "maybe this nearby settlement has information on your son's kidnappers." or "The trail is cold, maybe if we gathered some more components from these synths we could figure out a way into the institute."

As it is written there is no lul in the main quest, no logical freak out by a man/woman out of time in a post apoc hell hole of their own home, the murder of their spouse, and kidnapping of their son. The moment you exit the vault you should be freaking the frack out.

The moment you kill the deathclaw you should be freaking out about this nightmare creature.

And worst of all there is no break in the main quest line that justifies the open world and side quest exploration. This is what you get when you make a linear story line in a open world game, and really sets the game back.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first quest is to go home. There, your robot tells you to go to Concord. There, you meet the Minutemen and Mama-Jet-Junkie tells you to go to Diamond City. That's a shooter. Step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. with each step clearly labeled so that you don't have to think too much about them. Just follow the story and get to the next part where you get to shoot stuff.

Anyone else notice that all this happens within a half hour of this guy waking up to find his wife dead, son missing and WORLD DESTROYED?

I was like - holy crap, does this guy not get a moment to, y'know, take all of this in? He has no idea if it's been 150 years since his son was taken or a couple of days. So let's immediately smack him with a main storyline, throw the whole construction system on him and saddle him with the welfare of a group of people led by a drug-addled grandma having visions. ... you ever hear of "pacing", Bethesda? Try it sometime please.

1) Uh, if you talk to Codsworth, he'll tell you exactly how long it has been

2) No one forces you to do anything here - you don't have to go to Concord, you don't have to jump into any of this. You can go exploring first to get your bearings if you wish. You can go to a corner and cry. You can take as long as you want as a character to wrap your head around all this. The choice is yours.

3) That said, it's a harsh cruel world. A raider of deathclaw isn't going coddle you and ask if you are ok, need some time to yourself, before they blow your head off or eat you for dinner. It's not a world for wimps. But feel free to play as one if you wish.

Wow did you even play the game? Codsworth tells you it's been 200 years since the apocalypse. NOT how long it's been since your son was taken! That would be kind of a majorly important point to the character.

2 and on - that's all "No one told you to play the game and you're a wimp if you don't kiss the developers' butts" nonsense, and I don't want to hear it.

I've been trying to find a realistic way to work all the side quests into the character arch of the main line but really just can't. I don't see why you would bother to hunt eddie winter tapes when you are instantly told to go to the glowing sea after the memory den.

I don't see why you would go help a settlement acrossed the commonwealth when you just survived a deathclaw attack, saved a group of people and need to go to diamond city to find your son.

They have so many chances to say "maybe this nearby settlement has information on your son's kidnappers." or "The trail is cold, maybe if we gathered some more components from these synths we could figure out a way into the institute."

As it is written there is no lul in the main quest, no logical freak out by a man/woman out of time in a post apoc hell hole of their own home, the murder of their spouse, and kidnapping of their son. The moment you exit the vault you should be freaking the frack out.

The moment you kill the deathclaw you should be freaking out about this nightmare creature.

And worst of all there is no break in the main quest line that justifies the open world and side quest exploration. This is what you get when you make a linear story line in a open world game, and really sets the game back.

I'm trying a delay tactic on the main quest just for those reasons. I had the conversation with Preston, but backed out of the conversation with the drug-addled gramma spouting about visions. So that whole group is still sitting in the Concord Museum while my char is free to figure out what he's going to do with this situation.

So far he's explored the local area, started learning the biggest threats and has realized he's going to need to be a survivalist if he wants to survive long enough to find out what happened to his son. He HAS met non-aggressive people for the first time (traders and Abernathy Farm), so he knows it's not totally a living hell out there. So next he'll be focusing on finding population centers while getting more survival-related perks (I'm RP'ing that he can't build workstations without blacksmith + the appropriate perks).

So far, so good actually. The pace feels much better. After three days he's getting his stuff together and has a plan of action. At some point he'll go back to Concord and talk again with those people as at least two of them seemed to have their heads on straight, and he can use all the friends he can get.

I'm trying a delay tactic on the main quest just for those reasons. I had the conversation with Preston, but backed out of the conversation with the drug-addled gramma spouting about visions. So that whole group is still sitting in the Concord Museum while my char is free to figure out what he's going to do with this situation.

So far he's explored the local area, started learning the biggest threats and has realized he's going to need to be a survivalist if he wants to survive long enough to find out what happened to his son. He HAS met non-aggressive people for the first time (traders and Abernathy Farm), so he knows it's not totally a living hell out there. So next he'll be focusing on finding population centers while getting more survival-related perks (I'm RP'ing that he can't build workstations without blacksmith + the appropriate perks).

So far, so good actually. The pace feels much better. After three days he's getting his stuff together and has a plan of action. At some point he'll go back to Concord and talk again with those people as at least two of them seemed to have their heads on straight, and he can use all the friends he can get.

That's actually a good idea. A very good idea.

<snip>

<snip>

Thanks, it seems to be working out well. The quest marker does say "Join Preston in Sanctuary" but it's on the Concord Museum and I confirmed they're still sitting there. (Although Carla did show up in Sanc to trade. No biggie.)

I wonder if I can complete the whole main storyline like this, do sidequests I find interesting, then go back and do the Minuteman/factions lines. I found a walkthrough of how to get most of the factions living together peacefully instead of destroying each other (the Institute must fall for this to happen) and I'd like to see if I can get that ending.

Here's the Youtube link if you're interested and the required mission sequence is in text in the description.

One complaint that I have, that I haven't seen here (forgive me I'm not going to read all 19 pages of this) is there were too many settlements, given the time/resources needed to properly support them. And if you keep doing all the quests assigned to you, you eventually end up with all of them, and most of them come with a pre-population of settlers that you can't move to other settlements. If you do all the settlements, make many "supply lines," and lots of high-level merchants in many settlements, it's all too much to do, with not much in return, and not a lot of fun. Even if you like management, ala strategy games, the management tools are very lacking too so why would you want to do it in Fo4 instead of a better strategy 4x game?

I have to admit, I did get caught up in it for a while, building huge buildings with 2-story high ceilings to allow those 2nd and 3rd-tier merchant stands that were built too tall. OK it was fun for a bit. But it wears on you, this is a shooter, you expect to have more excitement than it had. Its exciting times are just too far apart, and once you get to about level 35 the game was too easy even on "survival" mode, before the April 2016 changes to it. And regarding those changes: I see plans to require you to sleep, eat, drink, and other new problems introduced that require even more character maintenance - MORE NON-FUN STUFF! WTF, Bethesda, people say the game isn't hard enough, so you add more mundane stuff to do, necessary to make it harder? Way to miss the mark with that IMO.

How about ramping up the AI shooting accuracy? How about enemies that can shoot you through walls - especially those glowing radiation-shooting ones? More enemies throwing grenades and fat boys at you? That's the way we want it to be tougher (including smarter AI pathfinding and tactics, we never get enough of that). Enemies that jet-pack up to your level to shoot you from an unexpected direction, other than just a few isolated scripted events; or (more that) drop from above (I loved it when Ghouls did this). And how about raiders that sometimes just shoot random places at times just for the heck of it, where if you happen to be walking into there where they start shooting, well you just take some unexpected damage. Yeah, people do this, haven't you ever seen the evidence of this today in hunting areas? Why not in Fo4?

And how about some unique high-level expensive loot when you open a "master" level lock, instead of just a weapon you can make from modding one you took off a raider, and a paltry amount of ammo?

And of course, like has been said here before, a much deeper story, with more unexpected twists, perhaps a betrayal or two mid-story that changes almost everything, and much less of the mundane "go here and get that, return there." Perhaps it's my age, but I seen all the story twists coming before they happened in Fo4; and I was disappointed on many occasions when I seen an opportunity for a twist and none happened.

That said, I have to say up to level 60 or so this was a great game, its just that it could've also been much better, with just a little better management of objectives on the developer's part.

Edited by HalloweenWeed

<snip>

<snip>

Thanks, it seems to be working out well. The quest marker does say "Join Preston in Sanctuary" but it's on the Concord Museum and I confirmed they're still sitting there. (Although Carla did show up in Sanc to trade. No biggie.)

I wonder if I can complete the whole main storyline like this, do sidequests I find interesting, then go back and do the Minuteman/factions lines. I found a walkthrough of how to get most of the factions living together peacefully instead of destroying each other (the Institute must fall for this to happen) and I'd like to see if I can get that ending.

Here's the Youtube link if you're interested and the required mission sequence is in text in the description.

Thanks for the youtube link. I felt the "wins" for any of the factions were "bad" in that they all had bad intentions in the end. Having none "win" is the best outcome to a dark inspired game (having nothing done for a higher purpose). The lightbringer seems to have arisen and become the most powerful, even in our fantasy worlds.

--------------------------------------

And the more I think about it. The first game I completed was Freelancer (a microsoft game...but the brains were not microsoft) and FalloutNV was my second. My first book I read and completed was whoa, I forgot, but I do remember it was when I was 20 years old. First book: 20 years old...cause me mom tortured me to read at 3 years old (I did read, I just got Clockwork Oranged)...

Completion is an attitude, and takes a force of will that I think is useful compared to the alternative. Or it's just my solopsist view given I got Clockwork Oranged and overcoming that was a demonstration of will not so ordinary.

Edited by jeffglobal

If you're losing interest in a game, stop playing it immediately. Doesn't matter what the title is or who it's made by. Life is too short to spend not having fun while playing video games.

Personally I'm still playing it and having a rollicking good time.

I've really given it a good run, I'm lvl 31, got plenty of mods, game looks and runs great (now that i've toned down the rainbow bright color palette), but... the more I play it,I just want to go back to FO3 or NV. FO4 just feels like a half ass shell of what the previous titles were. There's just no draw to it...

the sad part is i agree with you mostly and i have alot more to b&amp;@*&#036; about like the game had lack of building CC and when mods give us it they make us pay 5 bucks for most the stuff mods gave us free. they should of given us full CC in base game for building and added NEW crafting items.. the robot DLC i thought was ripped out of the game. IE. look at the main screen, u see a robot just laying there beside power armor. i thought i could build robots. everything in the DLCs so far have been ripped out of the game i feel and the BA where you find your follow it fells like thy also ripped out many quest there. hell theys proof they ripped out a main faction quest from BOS where u could of been the leader. i had more thne anything i had no chance to change the out come and im force to pick a BOS or I.T i would tried to make peace between everyone even if its harder.... the game had no side quest worth mentching since i could not find any. side quest i dont count are fraction based...

the hole game felt hollow and more incomplete and Beta best then anything. i think this was a pure cash grab and they did not care how bad it was BC there to lazy to make the game Awesome. it could of been one of the best if the map was not so painfully small. and the citys and towns. i felt to painfully small... and it also felt they added tomany NPCs to close together. (you could have a raider camp right nest to super mutants and Diamond city all together...... i also felt the fractions you fought was to little and the enemies very few all they did was rename them. instead of adding truly enemy's that look dif.. and i felt there weapons where so lazily made. when u have a effect on it they should of made the weapon look cool and nothing looking simmler to the others.. best exp is the double shot pistol. irl they have double shooting ability...