Settlement Population not re-increasing.

trepmaws

Hey, I'm having a bit of an issue with one of my settlements. If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it.

So, i have several settlements scattered across the Commonwealth, and all of them are growing quite nicely... expect for one: Sunshine Trading Co-op.

You see, I have a population of 17 in all my other settlements (7 Charisma), yet this one went from 16, down to 13, and won't rise back up. I've been attacked a couple of times by Supermutants there, but have always completed the "defend" objective, although I've lost 1 settler every time to each attack, and 1 settler ended up being a synth. What's weird is that the population is no longer rising back up to 17, it's just stuck at 13. I have over 100 defense, 20 beds, 20 food and water, and a bit of electricity (which shouldn't matter).

But, I should mention this settlement is unique to my other ones, as it has 6 provisioners being sent from it to my other settlements (an efficiency mistake I made early on in my playthrough, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it).

Am I missing something? If someone could help me out with this problem, that would be great!

Edited by trepmaws

The only thing that I've seen that limits the settlers, like you descibe, is the settlements objects being maxed out.

Everything you can control using the settlement system is counted as an object, including the existing trees and cars. Plus the settlers.

Objects must be removed by scrapping or storing in Workshop.

Once the object count is reduced, you should get more settlers in the usual way.

I am not sure why that number occasionally spikes. I have seen the exact same thing happen at Sanctuary. I noticed that I had 2 or 3 new settlers more than expected, and was worried about the bed count. When I got there the Recruitment Beacon was off and the total was back to what I expected. I am not sure if the population moves a little based on merchants, supply lines, or maybe even raiders that are attacking.

This has happened to me several times.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Sadly, none of these really solved my problem, but now my population is back up to 16 for no apparent reason. I have no idea why it took so long to fix itself, but it did drop down to 10 people at one point before going back up.

But, a new problem has arisen: I can't assign any of my settlers at Finch Farms to anything but defensive posts and supply lines (and even those bug out). What's worse, is they are constantly thanking me for helping to defend the farm from Muties and are all trying to start a conversation with me, and it's incessant, like they're stuck in a loop. I can't even trade items with them. It's liked they're just bugged to hell, and it's every single settler, not just the Finch family. I'm wondering if it's a navmesh issue, since the settlers that are on patrol have troubles moving around the farm. It's really weird, and it's starting to get on my nerves.

Has anyone else noticed this problem at Finch Farms or any other settlement?

Edited by trepmaws

Thanks for the tips everyone. Sadly, none of these really solved my problem, but now my population is back up to 16 for no apparent reason. I have no idea why it took so long to fix itself, but it did drop down to 10 people at one point before going back up.

But, a new problem has arisen: I can't assign any of my settlers at Finch Farms to anything but defensive posts and supply lines (and even those bug out). What's worse, is they are constantly thanking me for helping to defend the farm from Muties and are all trying to start a conversation with me, and it's incessant, like they're stuck in a loop. I can't even trade items with them. It's liked they're just bugged to hell, and it's every single settler, not just the Finch family. I'm wondering if it's a navmesh issue, since the settlers that are on patrol have troubles moving around the farm. It's really weird, and it's starting to get on my nerves.

Make sure that you are not trying to assign them to something which is broken, it can be really hard to tell. I had a broken scavenging station for several game days and never noticed. Very hard to tell when crops are damaged, but they are the first to fall usually.

Make sure that you are not trying to assign them to something which is broken, it can be really hard to tell. I had a broken scavenging station for several game days and never noticed. Very hard to tell when crops are damaged, but they are the first to fall usually.

No, this is not the problem. They DON'T move. They walk into walls constantly when left to themselves, and when I assign them to newly crafted items, they get up, start to move, then just ignore the order and go back to leaning on a wall or just standing there, leaving the item still unassigned. The guards will take 2 steps forward, then stop for a minute, then take another 2 steps forward, over and over, never getting to their posts.

Sometimes the supply line assignment works, sometimes it doesn't, often ending with the "provisioner" just standing there, and no link to the assigned settlement established. I'm telling you, something is very wrong with this area. It also makes no difference if I send settlers to a different settlement and then send them back. They function normally at the new settlement, but when I send them back to Finch Farms, it's buggy business as usual. And this is not present at ANY other settlement, just Finch Farms.

Is there anyway to reset the area with console commands?

No, this is not the problem. They DON'T move. They walk into walls constantly when left to themselves, and when I assign them to newly crafted items, they get up, start to move, then just ignore the order and go back to leaning on a wall or just standing there, leaving the item still unassigned. The guards will take 2 steps forward, then stop for a minute, then take another 2 steps forward, over and over, never getting to their posts.

Sometimes the supply line assignment works, sometimes it doesn't, often ending with the "provisioner" just standing there, and no link to the assigned settlement established. I'm telling you, something is very wrong with this area. It also makes no difference if I send settlers to a different settlement and then send them back. They function normally at the new settlement, but when I send them back to Finch Farms, it's buggy business as usual. And this is not present at ANY other settlement, just Finch Farms.

I can't test this theory, but looking at http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_bugs

One fix for the problem could be:

All NPC's in a settlement (including inactive companions, Brahmin, traders) will occasionally become stuck in an idle standing position, not moving through the map or attending to their tasks. Ringing the bell seems to fix this.

I can't test this theory, but looking at http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_bugs

One fix for the problem could be:

All NPC's in a settlement (including inactive companions, Brahmin, traders) will occasionally become stuck in an idle standing position, not moving through the map or attending to their tasks. Ringing the bell seems to fix this.

Tried that as well, and it didn't work. But, I did find a fix: I scoured the entire farm and removed any and all assignable resources that were present before I got access to the workbench, then I replaced them, and that seemed to alleviate the problem. There are still some navmesh issues with NPC's walking into walls, but I can live with that for now. Thanks for your help!

I've encountered the same issue with settlement growth becoming stuck. It seems some settlements attract more settlers than others. Starlight Drive in and TenPines Bluff all quickly get to 20 plus but others, despite the radio beacon, hardly grow at all. Sanctuary Hills gets to roughly 15 then stops.

I'm not sure if its a bug or due to the actually location of the settlement. I do send settlers from over populated ones to the less populated ones and that seems to fix the problem.