Meltdown - This game is just F'n lazy!

Guest deleted2588518

Guest deleted2588518

So I went to work today thinking about the overhaul on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. I had planed. Had a full day of jotting down notes and thinking up alternatives to ideas that came to me throughout the day. Came home and sat down at my desk ready for a long slog of attribute redistribution and whatnot. Armed with an encyclopedia worth of information from Fallout3, New Vegas and Skyrim... I was entrenched.

Knowing full well the mod tools are still incomplete and having no expectations to actually complete this work; I am not disappointed it cannot be done currently. But what I found in the guts of Fallout 4 has left me with disgust and disdain. This... abomination... is not even well put together. I apologize... My seething is getting the better of me.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why this game took as long as it did to create. Because after pulling this game's guts apart, it feels incredibly hallow... Shallow is on the Box. Its out there for all to see.. but I expected the guts of how the systems worked to have some sort of complexity. Well I can safely say its just as shallow on the inside as it is on the surface.

This game is lazily made. Almost insultingly so. Everything, and I mean absolutely everything.. has been boiled down into perks. AV skills don't even seem to be utilized, they are just a reference used by the perks.... Ok... before I completely go into meltdown... Let me back up a minute.

My intentions were to migrate some of the older systems from New Vegas and Skyrim into the new FO4 system. In-so-much-as wishing to give the game a bit more depth by adding skill modifiers so you have to work a bit harder to gain proficiency in guns or medical. I wanted to combine the aspects of "learn by doing" from skyrim, paired with the more RPGish qualities of New Vegas. I.E. I wanted fallout skills to feel like fallout skills but have that quality of "Do IT" that skyrim has.

Here is my logic. New Vegas has a perfectly acceptable means of accessing perks via your pip-boy. With the right application of cannibalization of New Vega's pip-boy .swf files to access when leveling up... (because the perk poster, IMHO, is complete garbage) And having perks only attainable every two or so levels... you see where I'm going with this... You play the game as normal. Use things to gain levels in specific skills, and once every two levels, you gain a perk. Like New Vegas, only like skyrim, you need to have a basic understanding of that skill to use perks correlated with them. But unlike Skyrim, you have the option to select a single SPECIAL to boost instead of a perk just like Fallout.

Anyways... Best of both worlds pipe-dream. Its technically doable considering I'm pulling apart New Vegas and Skyrim with relative ease... But FO4 is proving to be a monster. An incredibly lazy and frustrating monster. There has been a kind of consistency in structure from Oblivion to FO3 to New Vegas and Skyrim... This new... system... is just ripped to pieces... Gutted. Perhaps its a byproduct of not having official tools or incomplete ones.

I would hate to believe they were so incredibly lazy in creating this "game" that they completely gutted its potential to be modded. Or worse, were intentionally lazy so that their console versions would be on equal footing and the PC mods could not alter the game in any significant way as to cause massive disparity like in Skyrim. Which, tin-foil hat sounding as that is... isn't outside the realm of possibility. Considering their hard-on to bring mods to consoles.

IDK. Maybe I'm too frustrated. Perhaps I'm diving in before the pool is even filled enough to swim in. Surely I'm just doing this far sooner than I should be an need to wait for more updated tools.

Or is this the best I can hope for and this game was just designed so incredibly lazily that it may be beyond help in some regards?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/grindedstone/NewLibrary/Matrix%20Online%20009.jpg

Even if that was the case. And it's not, though maybe from your perspective. What difference would it make, if FO4 was made overly complex or as something scribbled on the back of a box of cereal in the morning. Further your love of games an creating content for them is far more powerful than any negative feeling you might have or see someone else complaining about. That's the only reality here, that we are gamers an can do anything.

See you in Virtual City Alpha...

Perhaps you should withhold judgement until you do get that GECK into your hands. Really until that point it is all frustrated speculation. If you still see it then, a better and more convincing argument you will have.

Guest deleted2588518

That's one of the major reasons I got into modding in the first place. I started back when they released the kit for Morrowind. I've been elbow deep in the guts of these games for a long time and the only reason I'm still a huge fan of them is because of the scope in which each of these games can be altered.

What I'm finding frustrating, is that maybe that potential is being removed. Or intentionally crippled to boost the sales of a specific platform release. I'm quite cynical when it comes to business. And Bethesda's only interest is to make money. They went console a long time ago because they believe that's where the sales are. And they are correct. But its the PC side that's keeping them afloat. Without the mod-community there wouldn't be the innovations FO3 or Skyrim were so heavily praised for.

Anyways. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket and bring people down. But I needed to vent about something I'm passionate about. I just loathe the idea that the ability to create may be stifled do to some marketing strategy.

@ LisnPuppy - Mantronix or Beck?

Edited by TotalMeltdown

Well I stopped modding after 60 hours or so, just because it was stupid. No argument it's stupid to try to make stuff for it now. s*** I played for only 30 or so hours after it downloaded on the 16th. Another fella played it 300 hours without doing any of the story. A 4 year cycle in house after a 18 month out sourcing modification job that failed to reach it's bonus requirements isn't the best example I'd say. That or reference to Bethesda going console. Which was for Oblivion an without it we wouldn't have the RPG's we have today, same for the other major releases that forever altered the genre. You been in it longer than me, I came in with FO3 an started learning.

FO4 though, just could be the best game ever an we won't know until the next few years. After that I'd say you were too close maybe. Tale of two wastelands is out or Skyrim for example. It was mentioned to me that it helped to play Skyrim while modding FO4, or the fact that TTW is alpha stage now, if you didn't know that's the capital wasteland in FNV with all the DLC an able to use most mods for FNV. Distraction I guess. Modding FO4 was so stupid I deleted everything I made twice an it was the best I'd ever done. Maybe not that good, but still a good point for me. And I deleted that s***. LOL I'm dumb, nobody likes me, an I'm alone most of the time, but f*** if I'm going to feel bad about something I enjoy.

Guest deleted2588518

Yea, I've been into TTW since they started. Its the only way I can play FO3 anymore! lol!

Speaking of TTW, I had to stop playing FO4 because its just so.... shallow. That's the best word I can use without being insulting.

I love TTW and the guys over on their forums are pretty awesome. I'd also give a shout-out to the Skywind and Skyblivion teams over at TES Renewal. Those guys are amazing.

Thanks I'll use that "Skywind and Skyblivion teams over at TES Renewal" later, trying more this year to get into TES. I kind of feel the same way about FO4 you mentioned for some strange reason. I don't remember, but before when someone mentioned Skyrim as a way to get into FO4, it was just about playing the game. In that case at least an from what you have said, it makes me want to try to get into the FO4 game by playing Skyrim. It's kind of messed up that I don't feel like I fit in there now. It's not that different from Mass Effect though, an it's been a long time. There's got to be some way of tricking my brain into this game. LOL Heck it just might be a side effect of the crack cocaine settlement building or modding. XD o/

Guest deleted2588518

Well if you enjoyed Mass Effect you'll be right at home in FO4. In point of fact, FO4 has way, WAY more in-common with Mass Effect than it does with either FO3 or New Vegas.

Something I find incredibly tragic.