Icebann

Honestly... the games current story is frankly as shallow as the map size. I feel as though both needed to be significantly larger for this game.

Since Oblivion Bethesda have been creating detailed worlds and then phoning everything else in, this time they've phoned the gameworld in as well leaving nothing of any interest.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly... the games current story is frankly as shallow as the map size. I feel as though both needed to be significantly larger for this game

It not about the size, it about what in it.

AC games gives you pretty much whole countries, but it is AC.

VM:B has micro areas, and look how that great that game is (yeah it super buggy but still.)

The map of fo4 needs to be even smaller, not bigger. Thus enriching what in it more.

this time they've phoned the gameworld in as well leaving nothing of any interest.

Not even general atomics, the old state house and mayor bunker?

Or are you talking about quests and/or cities in general?

Edited by Boombro

I don't know, I guess I'm just slow. According to Steam I have played Fallout 4 for 253 hours, with one character, and I guess I'm about 1/3 into the main quest.

If you look at Gopher's playthrough on YT, it's pretty similar to my playstyle in these kind of games, though I don't have quite the same OCD regarding loot.

There are plenty of things I'd wish Bethesda had done differently, as always, but it's always the exploring and noticing tiny details in the design of the gameworld that appeal to me.

I don't read spoilers and I don't 'powergame' or 'savescum'.

Edited by trold

honestly i find FO4 is a lot of fun. my only complaints are honest to god nitpicks for the most part, even the main plot is a step up albeit a cliche plot and a literal reversal of FO3. it isnt great but it is good, even the smaller game world isnt that bad. at least there isnt a lot of empty space i frequently find random homes and businesses just in the ruins that are unmarked and i find that to be an improvement over previous games (FONV was empty as all hell.)

I think I can give greater context to my prior statement. In 48 hours I had explored 1/4 of the total map. My main complaint is that the map is bigger, but... it's also very shallow in content. This is coming from someone who also in 48 hours only explored like 1/6th of Fallout 3's map. In fact, most of the big exploration zones for Fallout 4 are mostly located in the heavily dense urban areas. I also have my complaints about the fast travel markers. Claiming to have hundreds of fast travel markers and then saturating the map with close proximity markers irks me because instead of making fast travel a pragmatic means of traversing the world it seems to make it a quota for, 'ewe look how big this game is.'

When I consider how the actual map is designed it seems as though they scaled the city in the overlay phase to be to small, and as they laid out the surrounding areas were forced to compact a lot of the nearby ruins. There are two reasons this might be the case. It could have been an error when scaling the cities design, or it could be because of cell load processing. Given how many objects a cityscape can contain in the F3 and FNV GECKS before CTDing starts to occur, I think that it's highly possible that the main urban areas might have been scaled the way they are to cut down on processing power and increase game stability. However, this is mostly conjecture until I get my hands on the GECK and see for myself.

No matter the case, the map outside of the major urban areas seems very sparse of ruins and buildings to explore. Thus, exploration tends to be largely limited to the major urban areas detracting greatly from the gameplay. This is not to say that exploring the wilderness is pointless... it's just from a loot perspective less rewarding.

i will agree there. even in the urban areas though the small places you can find generally end up being empty of anything but minor loot. also the map markers end up overlapping each other and/or just being to close together to make it hard to pinpoint a specific location.

i will agree there. even in the urban areas though the small places you can find generally end up being empty of anything but minor loot. also the map markers end up overlapping each other and/or just being to close together to make it hard to pinpoint a specific location.

You can zoom in on the map :cool:

And made DA:I. the shittest game when it comes to questing ever. the games you talk about are from a long forgotten past.

Try original sin.

Oh how I miss old school BioWare. The Baldur's Gate 1 thru KOTOR 1 timeframe? They were tops in my book in those days. But you want to know something funny about the RPGs in those late 90s timeframe?

Black Isle Studios developed:

Fallout 2 (1998)

Planescape Torment (1999) - Classic, top notch RPG, unique setting

BioWare developed Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 while Black Isle Studios was the publisher.

Anyways, BIS had their hands involved either in development or publishing 2 big RPG series of the time: Fallout and Baldur's Gate. Then they sort of disappeared for me and I didn't find out until years later why. Interplay went kaput and BIS was laid off. They were working on Fallout 3 at the time so FO went into limbo until Bethesda got the IP.