Icebann

I don't think the map should be any smaller just more thought out. They just need to focus on what's enjoyable and fun instead of what they feel is impressive and detailed. That's a very subjective view, though. To bring up Skyrim *clears throat* the world was bigger and I guess less detailed but the areas were unique and the layout felt fun, the fields surrounding Whiterun, or the marshes leading to Solitude, the trail to the greybeards, etc. it seemed well thought out and made you feel immersed. If it was more detailed and smaller it would've ruined the aesthetic and felt cluttered.

This jump in graphics, settlements, voiced protagonist, and gun mechanics I think took away from their time making the things that I care about, towns, characters, random events, side quests and making the world feel alive and carefully planned.

I really don't want their maps any smaller just because this one lacked character. I don't think anyone would be saying this if their were more towns around the edges of the map filled with strange culture and odd quest lines.

Now, now. I didn't say big maps are bad. It just the main purpose of them is more contact. Plus, you can double the size with multi level map.

Boston is not fictional, so they can't go crazy with landscape types like TES games.

I thought the city ruins were fun myself and they are the point of urban open world games. It very big and varied. It so easy to lose yourself in it. I guess they spent all their creativity making it.

I can't think of another city that tops it expect rocksready's arkham city. Less accessible than fo4, but dame. I mean holy cow.

Anyone who like detail in world building should play rock steady batman games. They have great touch with level design.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boston is not fictional, so they can't go crazy with landscape types like TES games.

I thought the city ruins were fun myself and they are the point of urban open world games. It very big and varied. It so easy to lose yourself in it. I guess they spent all their creativity making it.

Well, they can't change EVERYTHING. Now, disclaimer. I have no idea what the actual Boston / Massachusetts area is like. However, could you explain away some terrain changes (big gulleys and stuff) on repeated flash-floods or changed river courses gouging out the land? More terrain like around that crashed airplane near Sanctuary.

For a brief moment, I thought, "It would be cool if more of those flyovers had collapsed and blocked the ground..." then I realised it would be intensely irritating because it isn't natural and it isn't terrain, so it would be a giant concrete slap in the face when you try to get anywhere.

See, the entire south-west area of Skyrim felt MASSIVE. Mostly because you had to carefully plan your route to get anywhere, rather than just going, "Right, there's a blip on my HUD, I'll just wedge the W key down and probably get there."

Yeah, so, I'm a just an explorer. Can't explain nerdy stuff like that, it even harder since English is my second language. I'm sure Google will help. Maybe even ask reddit.

The only thing I can think of that would make Fo4 world more varied is changing damage type, area shape and flora. Ever been to that fern fetch area with the wooden walkways and the ghouls? I swear that area is my favorite, I would love a legit town with it people hanging out on rooftop of flooded buildings. You can easily make rooftops have grass and flora by pulling the ground to the roof so it will clip. Think fort greenwall near Riften.

And wait, there is a plane near the starting area? Where?

Edited by Boombro

Now, now. I didn't say big maps are bad. It just the main purpose of them is more contact. Plus, you can double the size with multi level map.

I can't think of another city that tops it expect rocksready's arkham city. Less accessible than fo4, but dame. I mean holy cow.

Anyone who like detail in world building should play rock steady batman games. They have great touch with level design.

think FO 2, the map was huge (for its time) but you had a lot to collect and explore. FO3 had a lot of empty but it was reinforced by the fact that it had good atmosphere, you felt like you were in an apocalyptic world. yes FO3 had issues (like what the hell is up with the green look for everything?) but it was the first game Beth made for the FO series and it was pretty dang good for a first attempt. then FONV came out and its atmosphere was non-existent but the lore and character design was better, saddly the game also felt rushed. then boom FO4 comes out and they shrink the map down, honestly? not a huge deal i was worried at first but after playing i realized there's a lot to see still and the atmosphere of FO3 was there again... but then you see the lack of substance such as empty building with the only worth while loot being a hotplate and a coffee cup and lets not even get started on how absurd the plot lines are. seriously you just become the best thing since non-irradiated nuka cola quantum by simply walking through a door and putting a bullet through a guys skull. good example would be the introduction to Piper and how fast she is able to tell you are a vault dweller even though she probably has never seen one before.

the problem isnt that Beth is going backwards it's the fact that they arent taking risks and are being lazy with their games that is the issue.

Yup, Fo4 is bigger than fo3, but it lacks the soul and sprit in it writing and quests.

How are they not taking risks? Doesn't fo4 have a lot of new features and stuff they never done before? I mean:

A sculpting character creation.

A baby that looks it own parents.

Followers that are not hollow.

Voiced PC.

Building system.

In depth gear crafting system.

A follower that says your name out of 1002 other names.

World with upper levels.

Using blink cuts that can be linked to a trigger (or whatever that was in the quarry.)

The f*#@ing wheel.

Power armor.

No skills, tagged skills and traits.

When you think about it, the only ones who were lazy were the quest and game play designers.

Also loot? Isn't beth fallout are about the world telling you stories and s#*!?

Edited by Boombro

why do bethesda need to put any effort in their games when people just throw 100s of millions at them no matter what they do?

the consumer and greed has made bethesda lazy, we wont see a good rpg from them again. theyll make good games but none that live up to public demand or expectation.

Edited by x2ash

A sculpting character creation.

A baby that looks it own parents.

Followers that are not hollow.

Voiced PC.

Building system.

In depth gear crafting system.

A follower that says your name out of 1002 other names.

World with upper levels.

Using blink cuts that can be linked to a trigger (or whatever that was in the quarry.)

The f***ing wheel.

Power armor.

No skills, tagged skills and traits.

-sculpting characters isnt a new feature in gaming... and honestly i am not impressed with it, i'd take Racemenu for Skyrim any day.

-baby that looks like its parents? you mean like how the dad changes a little to match you in FO3? that's not a new feature that is just an improvement of an old one, saying it is taking a risk is like saying improving the graphics is taking a risk.

-better followers... not a risk in my opinion more like they finally are getting how to make them interesting and actually feel alive. so again more of an improvement over previous titles then a risk.

-voiced PC! yes that was a risk... im actually on the fence for this one. in one hand it's kinda cool and the voice acting in the game as a whole is better then previous games. my issue here is that Saints Row and GTA have the same thing and you have actual voice options for what your character sounds like. also dont give me that "why should they hire a bunch of actors to play the same character" non-sense. i have done sound work, you can make people sound completely different by turning a couple dials and flipping a few switches. literally a days work for one guy to make a couple alternate voices for each sex.

-building system....... yeah... you know the one based off of one of the most popular mods for Skyrim, FONV, and FO3? the one where they didnt even show any recognition of? no this is not a risk but the realization that it is a cool feature and threw it in and pretended that it was their idea from the beginning.

-in depth crafting system, cool what happened to building my ammo and guns?

-yeah people can say my name finally cool! not a risk just a cool feature i wish more games would mimic.

-world with upper levels? the heck does that mean?

-blink cuts? quarry? i havent reached the quarry yet so i have no idea what that means.

-okay yeah the wheel was great, it's nice to see cars with wheels now.

-power armor, yes they finally made power armor into something you can use that makes practical sense and i cans say that this was a 'risk' but it really wasnt as it only makes the armor stand out and feel like power armor. it's not like someone was going to hate it, there is literally no reasonable argument that can be made to claim the armor is bad. some nit picks are possible though.

-no skills or traits... yeah that is the only real risk in your list beyond a talking PC and again im on the fence about it. in one hand i am okay with it but on the other hand it doesnt feel like fallout it feels like Skyrim.

Also loot? Isn't beth fallout are about the world telling you stories and s***?

my point is you dont know the world around you. there is very little story to it and all exploring those nooks and crannies is good for is finding some minor loot. in FO3 and NV you would find journals and computers that would tell the tale of the previous inhabitants but now that doesnt seem to happen often except for the raiders computers that show that raiders have decent english typing skills.

my point is you dont know the world around you. there is very little story to it and all exploring those nooks and crannies is good for is finding some minor loot. in FO3 and NV you would find journals and computers that would tell the tale of the previous inhabitants but now that doesnt seem to happen often except for the raiders computers that show that raiders have decent english typing skills.

How is there no or little story or information about the Commonwealth in FO4? You enter it abruptly after exiting Vault 111. Then you go out discovering things as you go along. Whether you follow the breadcrumbs of the main storyline or "just go some direction and run into something," you'll find out more and more of the Commonwealth and it's history. The game world offers tons of bits of history for you to discover.

You find out about the Minutemen's former standing in the Commonwealth and their colossal downfall and fragmentation. You even come across Raider groups that you find out WERE Minutemen and find out why.

You find out about Diamond City, it's importance in the Commonwealth, and a whole slew of things that have occurred there even before your character emerged, as well as setting in motion other things related it.

You find out about the presence of other powers like the Brotherhood of Steel, Railroad, Institute get familiar with their history and what they're trying to accomplish.

You find out about "The Synth Threat" and the fear, danger, disappearances, infiltration / replacement of real people by them, and settlement wipeouts from them.

The game is filled with lore, history on Boston before the bombs fell. Whether the source is from someone like Nick or things you discover from adventuring.

Adventuring towards the Southwestern portion of the map is RICH with history of things when the bombs dropped. Everything from airplane wrecks and transmissions, bunkers, shelters, office buildings, whatever.

Your character emerges from Vault 111 into a completely strange world with a few specific goals. You have to figure out what kind of s*** you found yourself in and that only happens as you adventure, find things, interact with people, do quests. Then over time you get a clearer picture of what the overall situation is in the Commonwealth.

And you know the funny thing? The same thing has persisted from FO1, FO2, FO3, FONV, and now FO4. For FO1, 2, 3, 4, you are a stranger to the game world. Whether that was due to your character spending his/her prior life entirely in a vault, or some bumf*#@-nowhere village with zero importance (FO2), your character had to discover things and slowly understand the setting. Even in FONV, you get capped in the head and know nothing. And just like every FO game, The Courier had to adventure to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

Your notion that FO4's Commonwealth has no history to it is completely ludicrous.

Edited by Warmaker01

Your notion that FO4's Commonwealth has no history to it is completely ludicrous.

... has no history? no one said that! i didnt say that.

How is there no or little story or information about the Commonwealth in FO4? You enter it abruptly after exiting Vault 111. Then you go out discovering things as you go along. Whether you follow the breadcrumbs of the main storyline or "just go some direction and run into something," you'll find out more and more of the Commonwealth and it's history. The game world offers tons of bits of history for you to discover.

You find out about the Minutemen's former standing in the Commonwealth and their colossal downfall and fragmentation. You even come across Raider groups that you find out WERE Minutemen and find out why.

You find out about Diamond City, it's importance in the Commonwealth, and a whole slew of things that have occurred there even before your character emerged, as well as setting in motion other things related it.

You find out about the presence of other powers like the Brotherhood of Steel, Railroad, Institute get familiar with their history and what they're trying to accomplish.

You find out about "The Synth Threat" and the fear, danger, disappearances, infiltration / replacement of real people by them, and settlement wipeouts from them.

this is all from the main plots of the series that you run into simply by playing the quests.

The game is filled with lore, history on Boston before the bombs fell. Whether the source is from someone like Nick or things you discover from adventuring.

this is the part that is lacking. you dont know much about the area prior to the war. you can say you do but it isnt true, you dont learn much. most locations you can find (including unmarked ones) do not provide any information towards the lore or any actual value to the game as a whole aside from finding some minor loot.

what story is there has so far (for me at least) has been very boring and lacking. it is neat to see the tie ins with FO3 but the substance isnt there. it's like eating a grilled cheese sandwich, sure it can be good but it isnt that appealing by itself. the game, as i always say is good, but far from great.

Look kiddos... don't worry about the maps. I'm looking forward to the F4 GECK because I have plans to expand with several new locations, and if you think this is all talk... do check my Fallout New Vegas profile...

In fact, while I wait on the new geck I've reverted back to New Vegas to finish off my Magnum Opus before fully going over to Fallout 4 for modding. God, tomorrow is going to be such a pain. I've reserved 10 hours to design a single building.