Icebann

Your notion that FO4's Commonwealth has no history to it is completely ludicrous.

... has no history? no one said that! i didnt say that.

How is there no or little story or information about the Commonwealth in FO4? You enter it abruptly after exiting Vault 111. Then you go out discovering things as you go along. Whether you follow the breadcrumbs of the main storyline or "just go some direction and run into something," you'll find out more and more of the Commonwealth and it's history. The game world offers tons of bits of history for you to discover.

You find out about the Minutemen's former standing in the Commonwealth and their colossal downfall and fragmentation. You even come across Raider groups that you find out WERE Minutemen and find out why.

You find out about Diamond City, it's importance in the Commonwealth, and a whole slew of things that have occurred there even before your character emerged, as well as setting in motion other things related it.

You find out about the presence of other powers like the Brotherhood of Steel, Railroad, Institute get familiar with their history and what they're trying to accomplish.

You find out about "The Synth Threat" and the fear, danger, disappearances, infiltration / replacement of real people by them, and settlement wipeouts from them.

this is all from the main plots of the series that you run into simply by playing the quests.

The game is filled with lore, history on Boston before the bombs fell. Whether the source is from someone like Nick or things you discover from adventuring.

this is the part that is lacking. you dont know much about the area prior to the war. you can say you do but it isnt true, you dont learn much. most locations you can find (including unmarked ones) do not provide any information towards the lore or any actual value to the game as a whole aside from finding some minor loot.

what story is there has so far (for me at least) has been very boring and lacking. it is neat to see the tie ins with FO3 but the substance isnt there. it's like eating a grilled cheese sandwich, sure it can be good but it isnt that appealing by itself. the game, as i always say is good, but far from great.

Lacking of knowledge about the Pre-War era? Dude, have you even gone adventuring? Nick's storyline and so many things about it have heavy ties to the Pre-War era from a Detective's POV, dealing with organized crime, a snapshot of a Pre-War setting that wasn't all about the war. The Glowing Sea is a huge collection of information and sites when the s#*! hit the fan. How are you not finding this?

You complain about the lack of history, information of the game world / setting, then toss aside the idea of getting this information from your adventuring? You use FO3 and FONV as examples with information being left for you to discover, but when it happens in FO4, it doesn't count?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lacking of knowledge about the Pre-War era? Dude, have you even gone adventuring? Nick's storyline and so many things about it have heavy ties to the Pre-War era from a Detective's POV, dealing with organized crime, a snapshot of a Pre-War setting that wasn't all about the war. The Glowing Sea is a huge collection of information and sites when the s*** hit the fan. How are you not finding this?

You complain about the lack of history, information of the game world / setting, then toss aside the idea of getting this information from your adventuring? You use FO3 and FONV as examples with information being left for you to discover, but when it happens in FO4, it doesn't count?

fine dont listen... i dont care i am done trying to explain the issue. it really isnt all that easy when you have to avoid spoilers.

-sculpting characters isnt a new feature in gaming... and honestly i am not impressed with it, i'd take Racemenu for Skyrim any day.

-baby that looks like its parents? you mean like how the dad changes a little to match you in FO3? that's not a new feature that is just an improvement of an old one, saying it is taking a risk is like saying improving the graphics is taking a risk.
-better followers... not a risk in my opinion more like they finally are getting how to make them interesting and actually feel alive. so again more of an improvement over previous titles then a risk.
-voiced PC! yes that was a risk... im actually on the fence for this one. in one hand it's kinda cool and the voice acting in the game as a whole is better then previous games. my issue here is that Saints Row and GTA have the same thing and you have actual voice options for what your character sounds like. also dont give me that "why should they hire a bunch of actors to play the same character" non-sense. i have done sound work, you can make people sound completely different by turning a couple dials and flipping a few switches. literally a days work for one guy to make a couple alternate voices for each sex.
-building system....... yeah... you know the one based off of one of the most popular mods for Skyrim, FONV, and FO3? the one where they didnt even show any recognition of? no this is not a risk but the realization that it is a cool feature and threw it in and pretended that it was their idea from the beginning.
-in depth crafting system, cool what happened to building my ammo and guns?
-yeah people can say my name finally cool! not a risk just a cool feature i wish more games would mimic.
-world with upper levels? the heck does that mean?
-blink cuts? quarry? i havent reached the quarry yet so i have no idea what that means.
-okay yeah the wheel was great, it's nice to see cars with wheels now.
-power armor, yes they finally made power armor into something you can use that makes practical sense and i cans say that this was a 'risk' but it really wasnt as it only makes the armor stand out and feel like power armor. it's not like someone was going to hate it, there is literally no reasonable argument that can be made to claim the armor is bad. some nit picks are possible though.
-no skills or traits... yeah that is the only real risk in your list beyond a talking PC and again im on the fence about it. in one hand i am okay with it but on the other hand it doesnt feel like fallout it feels like Skyrim.

While I agree with most of your points. New features are new, it doesn't matter how bad/good they are. Thus it a risk.

Upper levels are multi levels. You can access many roofs, bridges. Think fo3 subways system.

fine dont listen... i dont care i am done trying to explain the issue. it really isnt all that easy when you have to avoid spoilers.

Just spoiler tag it and let yourself go.

this is the part that is lacking. you dont know much about the area prior to the war.

That doesn't make sense to know about the pre-war in fallout since npcs show many times in the games that they hardly know anything about it. They have no idea how animals looked like, what sport were like, how peaceful etc.

Edited by Boombro

While I agree with most of your points. New features are new, it doesn't matter how bad/good they are. Thus it a risk.

Upper levels are multi levels. You can access many roofs, bridges. Think fo3 subways system.

fair enough, also thanks for the clarification.

Just spoiler tag it and let yourself go.

not worth the time.

That doesn't make sense to know about the pre-war in fallout since npcs show many times in the games that they hardly know anything about it. They have no idea how animals looked like, what sport were like, how peaceful etc.

think about terminals you find in the repcon buildings. you really got to see what businesses did prior to the war... FO4 just seems to be lacking in that area or are recycling old info from previous games.

. FO4 just seems to be lacking in that area or are recycling old info from previous games.

It kind of important to do when a game is not a continuation to the past title though.

What do you want to know about the prewar era anyways? It pretty much like our world, anything much to see there.