Extreme Hardcore - Survival Too Easy?

Legitcreeperlord

Is it just me or is the looting aspect of the game far too easy?

For example, stimpacks. For both of my playthroughs have served no purpose. Cooking meat, which is readily available makes for far better healing substitutes as they often heal more and add stat bonuses. I clock up 100+ stimpacks every playthrough as I only use them if I couldn't be bothered opening my inventory to find a better healing substitute (they are hotkeyed) or to heal crippled limbs (which by the way almost never happens?).

Same thing with bobby pins. The lockpicking mechanic is inherently easy so bobby pins add up rapidly and are basically just free caps (I only have 10 on me at any point, the rest get sold). Making bobby pins far rarer so you would have to choose your locks to pick wisely or actually buy them from vendors would make the game far more interesting.

Also regarding food again, where did the hardcore mode from New Vegas go? Having to eat and drink constantly would increase the difficulty and begin to reduce the already obscene weight limit Bethesda gave us due to compulsory food carry weight.

Maybe food should not heal and only contribute to hunger/stat bonuses? This would once again make stimpacks useful and essential to any playthrough.

While playing in survival mode which is supposed to introduce an actual challenge, the only element of the game that actually becomes challenging is combat, a large aspect of the game in itself, however, a challenging RPG should challenge you in more than just one way. Make us actually struggle to survive, make difficult choices and not just grind through mechanics like lockpicking mindlessly, because why not? Bobby pins basically coat the wasteland just throw some points into the lockpicking perk and there you have it, free loot.

There are plenty of other areas that require a difficulty boost but hopefully this will provide a starting point for someone to create a truly challenging wasteland in more than just combat.

Thanks for the read <3

Edited by Legitcreeperlord

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely plan on installing many loot and balance + difficulty mods myself before my 2nd playthrough.. I currently have around 450 stimpacks saved up (And I dont even use the food system..) on survival, and its not like I dont use them at all since I dont use food, I am using them fairly often.. they just pop up everywhere it seems. And I am not even as good at shooters as I was when I was younger.. lol. Loot is just too readily available I think.

how many hours are you guys into the game i played for 48 hrs in my first playthrough and i only had like 120. still survival is too damned easy but that mostly goes towards health level boosts and all weapons being mostly useful throughout the whole game. rather than in every fallout game ever as soon as you get almost any other weapon you throw out the 10mm pistol. its still usefull at level 100.