REALISTIC SETTLEMENT INVASIONS
You know when you have to defend a settlement that's under attack, and when you get there you only have some raiders with a difficulty equivalent to legless ghouls.
Well... f*** THAT. What the hell do you have a rocket turret for? FIREWORKS? Let's put that bad *censored* to use!

I request a more realistic raids mod. This would include an increased amount of enemies during raids, as well as different enemy encounters. (If possible, ranked raids with titles)

(Edited/Improved)
and you would think that when a band of raiders assaulted the settlement, only to get their asses handed to them, you would think that next time they attacked, they would bring a lot more bodies with them. rather than the 3 tiers of raids you're suggesting, i think all settlements would start out by being attacked by a small raid, and if the settlement was successfully defended, the next attack will be larger. Eventually, it just might reach that 30,000 ghoul onslaught. And likewise, if you fail to defend a settlement, the next raid will be smaller.
Could use the below number of enemies (most likely to be revised)

(Original)
Mild Raid:
5-10 Raiders (/Gunners), Ghouls, Mole rats, Mongrels/Hounds
5-8 Super Mutants

Moderate Raid:
11-17 Raiders (/Gunners). 15-20 Ghouls, Mole Rats, Mongrels/Hounds
9-13 Super Mutants
1 Death Claw
1-2 Yao Guais

Severe Raid:
18-30 Raiders (/Gunners), Mole Rats, Mongrels/Hounds
18-38 Ghoulds
3-5 Yao Guais
2-3 Death Claws
1-2 Behemoth (+ Some super mutants)
14-26 Super Mutants

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Edited by mikemccann2011

Move away from the raid for 10 seconds and don't act. Your turrets will be kaput and your people dead. So yea, the raids don't need to be just stronger, the whole raiding system needs some more profound work.

Move away from the raid for 10 seconds and don't act. Your turrets will be kaput and your people dead. So yea, the raids don't need to be just stronger, the whole raiding system needs some more profound work.

Maybe, maybe not. I've been watching these "Minutemen fortress vs 30,000 Ghouls" (etc.) videos and they hold up for a great deal of time. Now granted it won't be like 30,000 enemies. I think this would be good, and encourage structurally sound settlements. The only drawback I see is getting new settlements attacked, having no defense, there'd be trouble.

I would like to see more realistic raids as well.

When I get a notification about a raid happening to one of my more heavily defended settlements, (when i'm there, a pair of deathclaws don't last more than a few seconds) you would think they could defend themselves without my presence. As things currently are, they lose by default just because I wasn't there.

and you would think that when a band of raiders assaulted the settlement, only to get their asses handed to them, you would think that next time they attacked, they would bring a lot more bodies with them.

rather than the 3 tiers of raids you're suggesting, i think all settlements would start out by being attacked by a small raid, and if the settlement was successfully defended, the next attack will be larger. Eventually, it just might reach that 30,000 ghoul onslaught.

And likewise, if you fail to defend a settlement, the next raid will be smaller.

I would like to see more realistic raids as well.

When I get a notification about a raid happening to one of my more heavily defended settlements, (when i'm there, a pair of deathclaws don't last more than a few seconds) you would think they could defend themselves without my presence. As things currently are, they lose by default just because I wasn't there.

and you would think that when a band of raiders assaulted the settlement, only to get their asses handed to them, you would think that next time they attacked, they would bring a lot more bodies with them.

rather than the 3 tiers of raids you're suggesting, i think all settlements would start out by being attacked by a small raid, and if the settlement was successfully defended, the next attack will be larger. Eventually, it just might reach that 30,000 ghoul onslaught.

And likewise, if you fail to defend a settlement, the next raid will be smaller.

Way better suggestion than mine above. I really dig that! It'd be nice if we could win when not there, dependent on defensive level. I'd like to see a "Sanctuary is under attack by _____. 58% to defend alone." Then you could at least risk it, lol. 'pprecaite the feedback :D

Also a thought, as for determining how often a settlement gets attacked, it could be based on the settlements resources.

In the wasteland, a lot of conflicts happen over food/water.

If your settlement is producing a lot of these things, it would make an attractive target for raids.

If you have few settlers guarding these things, and low defenses, it's an even more attractive target.

High resource output + low defenses = High attack probability

Low resource output + High defenses = You probably won't be attacked any time soon. Cons outweigh the pros.

High resource output + High defenses = Moderate attack probability

Low resource output + Low defenses = Moderate attack probability

I hate the save us missions. I hate it. I want the settlement, once established, to be self-sufficient to the point where all I have to do is to keep happiness up, just show up, change out some things, then go on my merry way. Instead, I have to show up, and defend a settlement because they settlers will stub toes if I am not there, and some still stub their toes when I am there. Anyway, I kind of like the tier idea, but I have a rework of the system. And also the option to call in additional assets to the settlements. Such as additional minutemen, BoS, or even Institute help. Oh, and if none make it back, and you successfully clear out what you need to, or save the citizen, the settlement is left alone, period. The raid potential can escalate if you have places you haven't cleared, but not part of the clearing out, or rescue the citizen. However, there is some negation to the tiers as well. Such as running afoul of another group, such as raiders going through Gunners, Super Mutants, or even feral ghouls. Or even coming across places like Diamond City, etc.

Tier 1

Probe

3 person probe to look at amount of settlers, defenses, etc. (This would tie into the kidnapping stuff, or clear out.) This can be 3 raiders, gunners, or super mutants. Ghouls, well, those are annoyances, but if you clear out the area around the best you can, with some fortifications, they shouldn't be a problem, at all.

Tier 2

Minor raid potential.

This would be up to 5 people in basic arms and armor to really test defenses. This is, again, only raiders, gunners, or super mutants.

Tier 3

Mild raid potential.

7 person squad. Arms and armor still fairly basic, and still only raiders, gunners, or super mutants.

Tier 4

Major raid potential.

10 person team, slightly upgraded weapons, maybe somewhat upgraded armor. And the same as every other tier.

I don't count hounds, Yao Gui, feral ghouls, or even Death claws as raid potential. These are animals, and as such, they don't deserve much attention. Calling in Minutemen, BoS, or even the Synths to fight for your settlement will place them on a cool down timer. The tiers only go up as time, game, etc. goes on. The weapons, armor, etc. remain virtually the same. You aren't going to bring .50 sniper rifles on a raid. You are, at best, bringing laser/plasma pistols, short double shotguns, things that draw quick, and give a lot of boom. The armor should be light, and take some damage, but, at the same time, be what is thrown together to stay quiet on the move. What I would really love to see is a group of raiders that is trying to attack a settlement, and run afoul of say a super mutant lair. Or super mutants running afoul of a nest of ghouls. That would be great. Or even the super mutants versus death claws. You might get a raid warning, but by the time you get there, there is no raid because they all died in the field, before getting there. Another reason for my idea is that not every settler will keep their pipe pistols and clothes on their backs. Instead, they get the best arms and armor I can get my hands on. (Minus my own of course.) But these people also are behind defenses that should even stop super mutant behemoths, if you ask me. Machine guns, good for ghouls, and lightly armored enemies. Heavy machine guns, same as before, but slightly better armored enemies, up to board wielding super mutants. There should be another tier of machine guns here, but they use shotguns in the game. Personally, they are too short ranged to be properly used so I skip them. The shotguns should be gatling guns, or gatling type. Then there are lasers. These should hold off almost anything. Missiles should hold off everything.

• 1 month later...

I know nobody has responded to this thread in months, but I'm bumping in the hopes of reviving it. This mod is exactly what I think the game needs. When I was playing, I didn't realize that no matter how many defenses I built, I still had to be there for every single raid, even though most of the time when I fast traveled there, my turrets/guards would take out the attackers in less than three seconds. I actually stopped playing awhile back until such a mod or update comes out since this is just too gamebreaking for me. Heck, when the mod tools are released, I might attempt making it myself if someone else hasn't.