Overriding formIDs in FO4edit

spligitmoose

Yo, I'm struggling with understanding what FO4Edit is showing me. I created a container that has the same model as a static object in the game because you can't change and objects base "signature". I then changed the containers formID to the same as the static object as to create an override, hoping this would replace all the statics using that ID to the container if the mod was loaded. However I'm now faced with FO4 edit showing me a completely blank column for my modded container which I cannot edit.

http://puu.sh/mcgsw/aa1e9c5544.png

Have I greatly misunderstood this process or is there some background wizardry I've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Did you get any error pop-up saying FO4Edit could not properly paste the information from fallout4.esm to your esp file?

I had the same thing with a couple NPCs, and my best guess it's because FO4Edit is still a work in progress, it's in an early stage still.

You can't really override one Form type with another (in your case a movable static with a container) as I'm sure that'll cause problems (I could be wrong here though). If the intent is to have a car act as a container, the easiest route would be to find a container that already exists, right click and copy as new record into your own mod (giving you a fresh container to work from), and then replace model filename with the same model being used for the car you want to convert to a container. You'll need to also copy over to the container the bounds and any other settings from the static. From there, you can set the contents for it, and the car itself will react as a container when used.

To get it to show up, you'd have to manually change over any references to the static with the new container. That should result in the cars still showing up exactly as they are pre-container as the rotation and positioning would be controlled when they're spawned in.

If the intent is to have a car act as a container, the easiest route would be to find a container that already exists, right click and copy as new record into your own mod (giving you a fresh container to work from), and then replace model filename with the same model being used for the car you want to convert to a container. You'll need to also copy over to the container the bounds and any other settings from the static. From there, you can set the contents for it, and the car itself will react as a container when used.

Rather than copying an existing container I simply added a new container to the .esp using FO4edit's menus and then filled in all the same details as the static. Then I changed the containers formID to override the movable static, expecting it to then replace any references of the static with the container, similar to how you would change the texture of the a base item gun that would then be used in all references.

Edited by spligitmoose

If the intent is to have a car act as a container, the easiest route would be to find a container that already exists, right click and copy as new record into your own mod (giving you a fresh container to work from), and then replace model filename with the same model being used for the car you want to convert to a container. You'll need to also copy over to the container the bounds and any other settings from the static. From there, you can set the contents for it, and the car itself will react as a container when used.

Rather than copying an existing container I simply added a new container to the .esp using FO4edit's menus and then filled in all the same details as the static. Then I changed the containers formID to override the movable static, expecting it to then replace any references of the static with the container, similar to how you would change the texture of the a base item gun that would then be used in all references.

Gotcha. Yea I don't think the engine is going to allow you to do that. From what I've gathered over the years, an overridden FormID needs to be of the same record type. It may function when in game, but I doubt you'd be able to do anything within FO4Edit as its expecting the override to be of the same type in order to present the data in the columns.

To get it to show up, you'd have to manually change over any references to the static with the new container. That should result in the cars still showing up exactly as they are pre-container as the rotation and positioning would be controlled when they're spawned in.

This looks like what I'll have to do. Sort through all of the Cells in FO4edit looking for cars and replace them with containers -.- It'll be so much easier when the creation kit comes out.

Actually no, with custom FO4Edit script this can be done in seconds. Manually changing in GECK will take probably hours.

The previous creation kits have had a "find a replace" function that I've used extensively. I completely forgot about Xedits script functions. Looking into it now but if you've got links handy I'd appreciate them.