Fallout Intensive Expansion Mod : We need a bigger Dev Team

CastCapo

First, I'm not sure what the obsession is with Fallout in Europe. It would be like me saying "Hey I want to know what was going on in 'Merica in Metro 2033 screw this Russian stuff" Its always going to be in the USA... make an original European after war story. Also, I honestly don't know the answer to this, are you allowed to make up all this lore? I have seen other mods that add big areas, such as WareZones for New Vegas, but he just adds big areas with enemies to shoot, you are making up huge chunks of lore based on a property you don't own, aren't you?

Second, I know the lore pretty well, I don't ever remember hearing of Vault Tec outside the USA. You can only go so far when making up your own story... personally I think this goes too far. I think a better idea would be a city like York just not being hit by bombs (like Las Vegas) and the people there managing to survive. The story doesn't always need to originate from a vault.

Third, a huge part of Fallout is the FEV. There was no FEV in Europe, thus no mutants. Super Mutants are dipped, animals are from FEV + Radiation. This would make the wastes kinda dull, IMO.

Fourth, as for The Effective Flotilla, how do you support it remaining? The US fleet dwarfs the UK's fleet utterly, and as far as we have seen, is completely gone. Unlike the USA, the UK did not develop fusion power, and was utterly out of oil, thus no fuel for those ships. Honestly by 2077 China was on its knees (thus why it launched, if they go down, everyone does) so the USA was the only real power left in the world.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is modding, there are no rules on what is allowed or not. If you think this goes against the lore, then don't install it, no one is forcing you to do so. This is just a group of people thinking "what if..." and creating a story around that. None of it is canon, brah.

(Also, the UK fleet must remain at all times bigger than the combination of both the second and third largest fleets, so it would absolutely dwarf the US fleet. And the UK and US being allies, they would have shared fusion technology, maybe not the most advanced stuff but Europe has scientists too.)

First, I'm not sure what the obsession is with Fallout in Europe. It would be like me saying "Hey I want to know what was going on in 'Merica in Metro 2033 screw this Russian stuff" Its always going to be in the USA... make an original European after war story. Also, I honestly don't know the answer to this, are you allowed to make up all this lore? I have seen other mods that add big areas, such as WareZones for New Vegas, but he just adds big areas with enemies to shoot, you are making up huge chunks of lore based on a property you don't own, aren't you?

Second, I know the lore pretty well, I don't ever remember hearing of Vault Tec outside the USA. You can only go so far when making up your own story... personally I think this goes too far. I think a better idea would be a city like York just not being hit by bombs (like Las Vegas) and the people there managing to survive. The story doesn't always need to originate from a vault.

Third, a huge part of Fallout is the FEV. There was no FEV in Europe, thus no mutants. Super Mutants are dipped, animals are from FEV + Radiation. This would make the wastes kinda dull, IMO.

Fourth, as for The Effective Flotilla, how do you support it remaining? The US fleet dwarfs the UK's fleet utterly, and as far as we have seen, is completely gone. Unlike the USA, the UK did not develop fusion power, and was utterly out of oil, thus no fuel for those ships. Honestly by 2077 China was on its knees (thus why it launched, if they go down, everyone does) so the USA was the only real power left in the world.

Are you ok? You seem to have missed your nap.

1. Everyone wants to see their favourite place integrated in their favourite fantasy series, be it Skyrim, Fallout or the Xeelee sagas.

2. This is fan fiction to a higher level, as long as it's not used for commercial purposes it is fair use

3. So? They can experiment and expand.

4. It's an invented lore, more can be invented.

you know asked myself that very question the first time i played Metro. its an awesome game, but what DID happen to US, and the rest of the world for that matter. same with fallout i dont see any harm in seeing what actually did happen elsewhere.

though i think frankly the rest of the world went on with their business like, oh look, usa and china are gone now, too bad for them, and the countries are completely ignored because they are fallout infested wastelands, but what do i know im not the fallout writers.

Cruor34, you're absolutely right in saying that there is very little fallout lore regarding Europe and about the improbability of a canon European Fallout. However, this just makes it even less likely that this mod would actually be breaking anything in fallout lore. The vagueness regarding the rest of the world after the Great War allows for a lot of creative freedom and I think would make an excellent addition to most players view of the Fallout Universe.

Cruor34, you're absolutely right in saying that there is very little fallout lore regarding Europe and about the improbability of a canon European Fallout. However, this just makes it even less likely that this mod would actually be breaking anything in fallout lore. The vagueness regarding the rest of the world after the Great War allows for a lot of creative freedom and I think would make an excellent addition to most players view of the Fallout Universe.

shhh... you don't wanna upset the wannabe Chris Avellone.

1. Everyone wants to see their favourite place integrated in their favourite fantasy series, be it Skyrim, Fallout or the Xeelee sagas.

2. This is fan fiction to a higher level, as long as it's not used for commercial purposes it is fair use

You forgot to mention

5. ???

6. Profit

This is modding, there are no rules on what is allowed or not. If you think this goes against the lore, then don't install it, no one is forcing you to do so. This is just a group of people thinking "what if..." and creating a story around that. None of it is canon, brah.

(Also, the UK fleet must remain at all times bigger than the combination of both the second and third largest fleets, so it would absolutely dwarf the US fleet. And the UK and US being allies, they would have shared fusion technology, maybe not the most advanced stuff but Europe has scientists too.)

I realize nobody is forcing me to play it. I was not rude anywhere in the post, simply pointing out issues I see. Where are you getting that the UK fleet is larger then 2nd and 3rd largest fleets combined? 1800 AD? US fleet has been bigger then the UK fleet since WW2 (world history is the same as our own until 1945, then it branches off to alternate history) UK has 1/6 the population and is bankrupt by 2070's, it would be far smaller the the US fleet. IRL right now, the US operates 11 large carriers (might be 10 now, maybe 1 was retired) UK operates 2 small carriers. I'm very confused by your comment... like, do you actually think that the UK fleet is larger or was it sarcastic, or a throw back to 1800 or what?

Also, where does it say in the Fallout world the US and UK are still allies? I'm going to assume the UK was not thrilled by the US annexing Canada by force, and the US was hording the last oil. Europe was fighting its own war vs the Middle East, and there is no mention of US aid. THEN they were fighting among themselves... who does the US help? England? France? West Germany? who do they help when they are all fighting? There is no reason for the US to give the UK fusion power. I can only gather from your comments you started on Fallout 3 and have not read the lore. Seriously, people need to play ALL the games and read ALL the lore, Fallout 3 is not the bible and a lot of it is actually wrong.

LoL, seems you are the one who missed nappy time.

I threw out no insults, in my original post, merely posted what as I see as holes in the story, and personal opinion Fallout doesn't work outside the USA, just like a middle ages fantasy wouldn't work in the US. You started the insults, so its clear who's younger and angrier. Fantasy is great but even that needs some logical support. US did not have the same relations it has with the UK that it does now, as I said above. I think the idea of vaults in Europe needs be be re thought to something more original, vault-tec or a sister company was not in Europe.

Why not use the huge London subway system as a shelter? That would be more interesting AND they would have a real life area to study for it.

Anyway, I said my piece, if you want to argue PM me I'll argue with you all day, enough de railing this thread.

Why not use the huge London subway system as a shelter? That would be more interesting AND they would have a real life area to study for it.

Alright, I don't necessarily agree with the rest of what you said, and arguments are not what I'm looking for here, but you do have a valid point, this would be very interesting. But even without a sister company to Vault-Tec, there would probably be private shelters, and this doesn't work in cities without a subway system. The subway could work as shelter, but only temporarily, since it doesn't have the life support that Vaults have.

On the topic of fusion power, the US developed it very early on in the timeline (right around the splitting point from real history), so it is very possible that they shared it with their allies back in the 20th century, before they had any reason to keep it to themselves. Other possibility, European countries could have developed less efficient but easier to achieve fission power. I do admit I have to brush up on the lore, but the franchise has been very US-centric so far, and leaves giant gaps when it comes to the fate of the rest of the world, so there is a lot of creative freedom to be had there without contradicting the lore.

(Regarding fleets, I may have mixed up my history lessons, 10th grade was a while ago already)

Sounds like a promising concept.

Though I would personally remove any connection to Vault-Tec seeing as it was a US government backed operation and I doubt the people behind it's actual motives would be interested in building any vaults where it wasn't 100% necessary. That and it wouldn't make sense for the US and UK to be on great terms what with the resource war and America forcefully annexing Canada and that.

I'd suggest having private nuclear shelters made by an original company, maybe they're based of stolen Vault-Tec plans but are much smaller and lower quality? I think that could be fun to learn about from terminal logs. Also, if you go with the stolen Vault-Tec plans idea you could use the vault tile-set already in the game and just re-texture it giving you less work to do.

Hope this is useful and good luck!