What does "Empty Plugin" mean?

benkadeesh

Hi Folks!

Can anybody explain to me what it means when a plugin is marked as "Empty Plugin" in the LOOT load order for Skyrim?

Can such Plugins be the reason that the game hangs up or crashes when using the "ESC"-button in order to save the game?

Thanks in advance and a Happy 2016 to all you guys and girls!

• 2 weeks later...

happy New Year to you too as well and I did some research for you and an "empty plugin" is (in a complicated way) when the .esm file points to a .bsa file, .bsa files won't show in mods because they are reskins and textures, for example you may see the High texture resolution packs to have that eye with the line over it saying "empty plugin" and it sounds bad and dangerous and all but all it is is really just mods that reskin that (for some reason) show up on LOOT and overall it is of no danger to you at all, the reason why your game is crashing may be from another reason but empty plugins are nothing to worry about :)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

happy New Year to you too as well and I did some research for you and an "empty plugin" is (in a complicated way) when the .esm file points to a .bsa file, .bsa files won't show in mods because they are reskins and textures, for example you may see the High texture resolution packs to have that eye with the line over it saying "empty plugin" and it sounds bad and dangerous and all but all it is is really just mods that reskin that (for some reason) show up on LOOT and overall it is of no danger to you at all, the reason why your game is crashing may be from another reason but empty plugins are nothing to worry about :smile:

Great explanation! I am still figuring out all the file extensions of modding. Things are so different from the days of DOS batch files.