Any way to bypass origin to play this game?

DrCrowTGamer15

I bought Mass effect 3 on release day and I also bought all the DLC and in the past Origin has never given me any real trouble except for a two week period when EA used it to lock me out of my game. Now I know this is a long post so I will just come straight out and ask, is there any way to bypass Origin and launch this game so DLC will work with it? I have been looking around the web for almost two weeks now and can't find a way. I am not asking this so I can play a pirated copy or anything like that, I don't approve of that sort of thing, I am only asking because Origin is locking me out of the game that with DLC I paid around $150 for.

If you are interested let me explain how Origin is doing this and why I need a bypass. You see I live out in the country and moving is not an option also I could only afford a desktop computer after a couple of years of saving so taking my computer into the local library or other place with Wifi is not an option, for the past 14 the highspeed lines have been just one mile down the road and satilite based internet is something we have tried but it cost way too much and it was knocked out every time the wind picked up, not to mention the company we tried(Hughesnet)knocked our speed down to 1kps every time we used more then one hundred megabytes of data a day. So the only real option for internet is dial up, now that works fine most of the time as long as you are willing to wait for long downloads to complete and I will give EA credit for this, Origin has never given me any real trouble before. As long as I am willing to take two or three months to download a file, it has always let me buy new games and DLC and download and register them, and it always detects my internet connection. Except for this one thing, Origin now needs to update it's self before it will let me play any of the games I have bought and it will not let me play my disc based version of Mass Effect 3 with any of the DLC until I update it. This means that a good chunck of the game is missing and no HEMOD. Now the update is only 91MBs in size so it is hardly the largest thing I have ever downloaded and I am willing to wait but I have been trying for almost two weeks and every single time the updater(and this update has to be downloaded through the updater, I tried finding the whole of this update elsewhere online so I could download it with download them all, but no such luck, the only downloads online are the base program that needs to be updated)will either not see my internet connection at all or download the first 5MBs or so and then tell me that my connection is too slow and give up. I have tried everything to get this working but since playing single player with DLC or playing any game I downloaded requires being online the first time you start a new game so it can check to make sure I am using a copy of the game I paid for, I am stuck. Sorry this post is so long winded but I wanted to explain in detail what the situation was so people wouldn't give me advice I have already found online.

If you know of a way to get past origin in order to launch Mass Effect 3 and have the DLC work, I would grateful for the help, because so far I have come up with a big fat goose egg in my search.

Thank you for your time.

Well... Yes, you MUST use EA/Origin to register your game and all DLC. There is no other way for ME3, or most of EA's newer AAA-titles, for that matter. It even tells you so on the box, ("... internet connection required".)

And yes, Origin itself must be updated before it can handle the rest of the registration.

[EDIT: The crucial information in your post was buried in the middle. Posting a wall-o-text is never a good idea.]

Are you saying you're limited to 56Kbps?!? Not even DSL service? My condolences. I was stuck with a 2.5Mbps connection for over 10 years, so I have some idea of your situation. Finally found an alternative ISP last September which can reach my rural location. Now have a solid 10+Mbps with unlimited data at a price I'm willing to pay.

Here's one idea:

1. Get a USB wi-fi adapter for the desktop (about US$10 on Amazon right now.)
  2. Use a mobile phone as a wi-fi hotspot. My carrier allows activating "tether" mode on-demand for just US$1/day,
    (plus data charges, of course. Mine's unlimited data for a flat rate.)
  3. Use the higher speed connection to update Origin.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Thandal
Removed extraneous remarks, added a sugestion.

• 3 months later...

It took me a while but that did help. Also i found that if you launch the game in offline mode and then connect to the internet just before starting a new game it will let the DLC work without updating origin.

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...

If you have an Android mobile phone with a data plan, I recommend using an app called FoxFi in the future to update Origin. This will allow you to USB-tether or hotspot your connection, essentially using your mobile connection in place of a wireless adapter or general Wi-Fi. Data plan limits make this ill-suited to regular use, but most mobile data plans should be both large enough and fast enough to handle something small like an Origin or Steam client update. The PC-side program can be found here and you'll find direction to the appropriate mobile app on the site, I think: http://foxfi.com/

This worked well for me during the short period when I upgraded my desktop's GPU but found that its bulk covered the slot occupied by my previous internal wireless adapter. It also works as a pass-through for a mobile phone connected to a wireless Wi-Fi adapter just as well. Just note that the free version of this program interrupts your connection every so often, but in most cases these interruptions are spaced far enough apart that an Origin download should finish before it happens. All you need do is manually re-start the connection on your phone. It's just a minor inconvenience to get you to pay the (small, to be honest, and one-time) cost of buying a license for it.