How human are synths?

moonlightoverwater

How human are synths, exactly? The Wiki says "The Generation 3 synths are synthetic humans genetically engineered entirely out of organic substances and are virtually indistinguishable from real human beings."

Just suppose your player character subscribes to the philosophy that the humans are not killable (except in self-defense) and machines are perfectly killable. But if there is a live human in there, you wouldn't want to kill tin-can-you-know-who, for example, would you! And if he is just a machine, then he or others like him is perfectly killable.

(Ref: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Synth )

Edited by moonlightoverwater

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact is, they are programmed, they are built, so they will always be machines. No matter how humanoid they get, no matter how indistinguishable they become, no matter if they can believe they are human and even live a human life, you can always reprogram all of that and change them.

The simple fact that the Railroad send you off to have their memory wiped or whatever so they can start a new life shows how machine they are. You can literally erase their minds and give them a new one.

"Human" is a loosely applied term in such matters.

The primary issues here concern the ability for synths to exhibit a level of Free Will, Self-Awareness and Self-Determination which would render them sentient and on par with humans. It may be only a few decades before such discussions are held concerning real-world AI.

That said, the Institute crossed the red line quite a while ago when it came to deciding how "human" these synths are. The Gen 3's are basically human in every way, to the point where even they will not realize this. Unlike humans, synths need not be killed but instead can be mind-wiped which is a clean death in that you cease to be the person you were before. The synths that agree to undergo this process with the Railroad are obviously desperate to avoid going back to the Institute where this will happen again and again in order to keep them docile.

But considering that we are already dealing with digital code constructs even with regular "humans" in this game, it is at times hard to take seriously that this group of npc are different just because we can occasionally find a lootable component we can break down into plastic on their bodies.

From a philosophical and in-game perspective, you simply take the good with the bad. As a Brotherhood of Steel soldier, you are just following orders (keep it simple). For the rest of the factions, you can make up plenty of reasons to justify your actions. Remember, the world does not revolve around you (except that it does because rpg).

Edited by CyrusAmell

Does it really matter in what way someone is breed? We are a genetic combination of our parents. Gen 3 synths are geneticly build in a lab. Besides the fact, they are not born the "usual" way, theres similarities.

In my opinion every self aware scentient beeing is considered a living one, equal to humans. Even if its a computer, boxed in a corner, but with a fully evolved a.i. its a living beeing.

it's left for us to decide that for ourselves, something I really like. we can meet various synths and decide for ourselves whether they should or should not be considered as 'alive' and having human rights

personally I think the very fact that

so many synths have a desire for freedom (completing the story with the railroad make it overwhelmingly clear how huge this number is) is a rather large indication that they are more than just machines

Humans are machines too, "built" by nature (or god, depending on your beliefs). Humans can also be reprogrammed with torture, drugs and psych tricks. There are experts for "deprogramming" people freed from cults in the real world. I have no doubt that mankind will be able to erase and rewrite someones mind completely one day. So whats the difference between artificial life and humans? Replication? Intelligent machines will be able to do that (without sex).

My 2 cents: Every being that can understand what rights are and can demand them, should have them.