Simple audio replacement not working

Versispellis

I'm at my wits' end with this. I mixed a set of new sound effects for wolves in Audacity, using mostly the vanilla assets, plus one public domain audio track. The files have been exported in 16-bit, 44100Hz, mono WAV format, and I'm certain the file paths and names are correct. This is a simple file replacement. I'm not using the CK or any plugins. Testing the mod, I find that no audio for wolves plays whatsoever, not even the vanilla tracks I left untouched! I've double checked the file formats numerous times. I've both manually installed the files through MO and have tried placing them directly into my Skyrim/Data folder. I've searched the forums, I've searched Google, and I can't conceive of any reason for this to be happening. Help?

Haha, nah, that wasn't it. It wasn't a waste of time, though. While testing that, some of the vanilla sound effects came back, and I paid close attention to which fx played and which did not. I think there is something deep in my Skyrim install that is interfering. This requires more investigation!

Okay, I have rediagnosed the problem. I don't think the fault is with my mod, but something else that is happening with my Skyrim installation. I thought that NONE of my fx tracks were working before, but I think that my be because the ones that did play, I couldn't hear. (I made the wolves breathe silently.)

The following wolf fx sounds do not play:

aggrowarning

attack

powerattack

bark

This seems to be the common case, with and without the mod enabled. I have disabled all plugins and disabled all mods having anything to do with audio or fx. The testing is being done on a clean save.

You may find this useful http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1817090-changing-animation-sound-effects/

Or perhaps not (not sure how much you've researched the matter).

I've heard several people tell me that they'd rigged a new mesh to a wolves skeleton, only to discover that it has sounds hard coded in to its animation.

Hope it helps