Keeping it "real"

MarkInMKUK

Well, when the beggars get under the eaves of buildings in my game, Get Wet stops showing wetness on them. I forget which version I am using. I'd have to check the file date because I think the various versions have the same .esp name, but I could be wrong.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telyn, are you using a mod that makes rain give people a wet look?? In my vanilla rain (or swimming for that matter) the invisible layer of teflon on everyone causes water to instantly be shed, without a trace of dampness (now there's something I could use!!).

I've seen a mod that makes them have a sort of silver layer over them ... but nothing that looks realistically damp for clothing - it might look semi-ok on bare skin.

I'm using a mod called Get Wet. There are several versions of it. It gives you a choice whether you want droplets, backlight glow, or both. The drops do conform somewhat to the body of the character, but sometimes they drip in odd directions. Some people have droplets that appear to defy gravity (flowing up), but that has not happened to me. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me. When characters move indoors, it takes them a little while to dry off, but they still dry off pretty quickly. Do a search on Get Wet because people have made versions with darker highlight, etc. Get Wet is far from perfect, but I love it. I wish it was still being actively developed. I'd love to see a feature that darkened the hair a shade or two while it is wet but I just make my characters wear something on their heads in rain. It looks best on bare skin like arms, and on metal or other shiny armor. Get Wet can't change the clothes, but I have been researching what people wore in bad weather. Contrary to popular belief they didn't just put tunics on. Wealthier people had leather or fur rainclothes in Europe, and they had oiled or waxed overclothes and boots apparently in some places, too, but there are only a few surviving examples. Wet clothes that stick to you...I think VadersApp's VORB might be able to do something like that if he keeps developing it. It's in very early stages still.

Personality Idles4 will make people cross their arms over their chests in rain as if they are trying to stay warm, and it does work. I use that to add to the look of Get Wet. http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=14280 It has a lot of neat situational idles but probably conflicts with other animation mods.

Just saw this mod. It doesn't make clothes look wet, but it makes them act wet. If you swim in fur, you are slower until it dries off. http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=29188

By the way, if you try Get Wet, look at character's eyelashes if you have any races or mods that add real eyelashes. It's incredible. Rain beads on them.

Duke Patricks Basic Hypothermia II has expanded shelter features that aren't in vanilla game. This mod is pretty hardcore. Some people (like Arwen) say the time spent trying to keep your body temperature in safe ranges is too much. I didn't like that issue in Sim II, so I am not using this one, but it looks very interesting. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=32752

I use Xtudo's take on Personality Idles 4, Personality Idles - Modified version - NPCs and companions. It's an integral part of my own 'getting it real' experiment. To this point tweaking it has been the base of my effort (along with fore's NoMaaM BBB Animation Replacer, but that's more for the eye-candy aspect). I did experiment with the Forcing Idle Animations example script a while back when I first looked at changing idles (an idea introduced to me by a mod that gave you a zero weight book you could reverse pickpocket into an NPC's inventory to get them to do a little dance). I wasn't familiar with the CS to any great extent, and hadn't any experience with AI packages or conditions at the time. The sedance.kf animation I used for the token in the example script didn't do anything different than the book (which is after all just a token you give an NPC to force the idle). Now armed with a bit more experience using conditions in the AI packages and a little more understanding of implementing AI logic from Astymma's explanation I think I'm ready for another stab at the example script.

I'm guessing the screenshots on the Get Wet mod page don't do it justice, and you need to see it in action. I've downloaded it and will give it a try. I recall seeing the Clothes Get Wet mod a while back as well. I like the idea of being in wet clothes slowing you down. I'd like to see that extended to reducing your encumbrance for a while until your gear dries out too (and this suggestion is coming from Mr I Must Carry All Those Things Because You Never Know When You'll Need Them Even If I'm Always On The Verge Of Over-encumbrance). If you strip down and drop your loot you don't get nailed by the penalties would be how I'd make it. It would make some of those quick trips across the water a little less appealing (I'm thinking, slip over to Vilverin for a quick bit of gear right after the tutorial type situations). Heck, it would change my whole take on 'fast travel' without using Fast Travel (I swim most of the way and avoid confrontations when I'm 'on a mission'). Clothes Get Wet looks a bit more recently updated than Get Wet, but neither are real current versions.

When I get a chance to try out Get Wet I'll post my spin on it, but I warn you, I'll have trouble reporting how it affects clothing ... seems 'my girls' have ... errm ... 'misplaced' some of their inventory.

Get Wet looks *much* better in game. Again, it could be improved by someone who is good at that sort of thing, and I gather the original author is generous about giving permission. I use the version of Personality Idles that doesn't remove some of the original features, because I happen to like those. I haven't had any major issues with it. I like the rain idles and the ones the clergy use a lot.

Heh, well...at least you don't have to worry about what historical era is most appropriate for Oblivion if your girls are nudists. My game features clothing for all, but I think my characters and NPCs somewhat take after the Scots. ;) That Undies Underneath mod and all the retextures I have seen just look wrong to me and most of the skins with undies are painted on looking or designed for a really different body type than what I use.

So you're saying don't go watch the Black Watch Pipe Band on a windy day (unless you don't suffer from 'tender' sensibilities). I just had a flashback visual of the 'Scottish salute' in Braveheart. LOL Honest ... I don't know what they've done with their inventories (sheesh ... just 'cause I forgot to give 'em bathing suits I get birthday suits!!).

The mod description on Clothes Get Wet gives permission for use with credit, but I don't see any info for Get Wet. The Action tab leads me to think the uploader is still active here, not sure about the original author though.

Well if you're interested, history of swimwear is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimsuit

Your girls going without is pretty realistic, but if you want them to wear something, you could just use whatever you have for them as underwear or nightwear.

My warrior types swim in heavy armour, which is a test knights once had to pass, btw. The others tend to take bridges or just wade. I tend not to make water breating potions much unless there is a quest that requires it.

Talking of the Braveheart moment - a much earlier version occurred to me - a scene right near the end of one of the British "Carry On" comedies - "Carry On Up The Khyber". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8atKXFZefA the scene in question is at about 5m40.

Regarding encumbrance - the "Nailed to the floor" approach is another immersion breaker. Once you hit a ceretain level, a sliding scale of apeed drop would be far more realistic - heck, I can actually lift and stagger with 200+kg (440+ pounds) of steel pipe, but probably can't manage normal walking speed much over 80 pounds load for any period of time, and a flat-out run requires no encumbrance. Coupled with the "Inventory as a backpack" mod, that set of effects would make things much more immersive. I haven't YET dug into the depths of the "Real fatigue"-type mods to see what they do in that way - it's possible it is already scripted. If so, adding your slowing down effect when wet would be relatively easy I would think.

Speaking of clothing,there is a mod out there someplace which begins to affect npc reactions to you based on what you are, or are not, wearing. Again, I haven't yet tried it, but it would seem a sensible one to add. Being arrested for public exposure, or propositioned on street corners if you are in "skimpy" clothing, would seem very much in keeping with immersion.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Ahh ... the search person of renown strikes again.

Tinea Cruris ... just the name makes me want to join my girls and their solution. See, they know what they're doing. Good late night chuckle (the unikini could be a popular choice for those unconcerned about the downsides of damp). Swimming in their armor?? Wouldn't that be more like "Do you think he can walk to the other side of the river"? The knight would like a more modern hard hat diver ... sans petty considerations like air hoses. :tongue: