Does anyone use automatic weapons?

infamousxiii

I love the damage on the automatic weapons. That being said, they chew through so much ammo so fast! Does anyone here play with Automatics? How do you stay stocked on ammo? Even with the scrounger perks, it looks really rough to do without outright cheating with the console.

My character was oriented for ranged combat. Semi-auto, automatic, didn't matter to me since I worked up both Rifleman and later on Commando, and am now finishing up on Gunslinger.

I prefer Automatic weapons with Commando Perk for the whole spray & pray aspect of the game. But this is hard to do with the resources of a lowbie character since I was counting bullets and trying to save up for better gear and resources. A money pit of constantly depleting ammo supplies for me at that early stage would have been a problem.

This changes up though in the mid levels of the game where I'd start having .38 or .45 ammo in the hundreds. Pipe SMGs or Assault Rifles I used for a good while until I got the Submachine Gun with my huge pile of .45 ammo.

Anyways, stockpile ammo when you can. I penny pinched, sold off a lot of gear I looted just to keep stockpiling ammo. This is a constant thing especially if you intend to use Automatics all the time. You can switch to Semi-auto weaponry to conserve. That was something I had to do several times until my ammo reserves for Autos were back up.

I'm not using automatics at all because I'm too lazy to always buy ammo.

Plus I got a nice sniper rifle for long range, then a combat rifle for medium range and close range is the shotgun of course, insects and ghouls are dealt with a 10mm pistol.

I'm probably doing like 20% headshots in this game, not much waste of ammo right there and I'm also using mods that bring up the enemy damage significantly so its probably best that I keep playing sneaky, rambo style will just get me killed.

meh cheating or not it doesnt matter.. it comes down to pay style.. not settlements

i dont gain anything from my settlements, no money no ammo no food.

i just have 2 auto guns which use different ammo and i rotate them depending on the amount of ammo i have..

and always fire in very short bursts.

use the correct weapon for the correct enemy, dont just use your auto weapon on everything

i struggled early on with ammo but now just rotating guns and using ammo sparingly, ammo isnt a problem.

i dont buy ammo theres plenty of ammo around if your smart about it.

also if you are ina location that drops alot of one type of ammo, using a gun with that ammo helps alot too

Funny thing, I downloaded this AK weapon, though automatic, its fire rate is rather slow. Slower than combat rifle. Then I pull out my Assault rifle, non automatic. My click rate + the firing rate on this Assault rifle makes this a faster automatic weapon than both the ones I mentioned. So I have on hand an "automatic" weapon that has the damage of a single shot weapon.

IMO automatic weapon chews through ammo so fast for the same amount of damage. Making the per shot damage of automatic rifle so much lower is a very lazy way of balancing weapons. Same caliber weapon, in fact, same weapon, upgrading the automatic receiver should retain the exact same damage per bullet.

Auto is relatively ineffective because of the damage formula, especially at high difficulty. For instance, the minigun does ~1 dmg per bullet to well armored targets on survival. If it had something like 95% AP it would do ~2 dmg per bulllet. One shot from a powerful 10mm does way more. So even though auto usually only drops 25% dmg, you need 4 times as many hits (or more).

If you switch weapons and allways use the most powerfull weapon for each type of ammunition (ie .38), plus max the Gun Nut perk, and max one then two weapon perks you won't need to buy ammunitions, or maybe once or twice.

Usually i use melee when i am with Paladin Danse while doing the BoS storyline since he can tank.

If you switch weapons and allways use the most powerfull weapon for each type of ammunition (ie .38), plus max the Gun Nut perk, and max one then two weapon perks you won't need to buy ammunitions, or maybe once or twice.

Usually i use melee when i am with Paladin Danse while doing the BoS storyline since he can tank.

if you wanna have some fun - give your companion a minigun with shredder and just a handful of ammo - and the companion ammo mod -

Full auto with a good legendary (wounding or explosive). I mostly use wounding weapons and explosive only for strong legendary opponents. Explosive miniguns kill everything with little effort if you really need firepower. Used to play a stealth build character but running around in full power armor and enemys that actually shoot back because they see you before they die is much more fun imho. And if you take the right perks (e.G. scrounger or any price related perks / charisma) ammo is not much of a concern. Unless you spend fortunes on building settlements or something.