I always presumed those two were the only ones who had built enough support among the Deshyrs to have a shot. Anyone else who had been competing for the throne had already been co-opted or sidelined before the Warden's arrival.

It's my understanding that while the deshyrs in the assembly can formally vote on who the next king will be, in practice their job is merely to confirm the heir chosen by the previous king (so they can't just vote for anyone). I can't recall exactly which NPC says this (I think one of the nobles in the tavern?), but I do recall the statement. In this case, though, the succession is being contested (by Bhelen, as Harrowmont is Endrin's chosen heir), and he's apparently managed to gather sufficient support among the deshyrs to unsettle the norm.

Edited by ripple

This is very interesting and makes sense, Ripple. Thank you very much! Do you think there is proof Harrowmont was indeed explicitly and consciously chosen by Endrin? So far even in the Aeducan origin I have not found anything binding.

There isn't as far as I remember (and keeping in mind I am no "DA lore expert" :smile: ). To my knowledge, the only claim that Harrowmont has is that he was Endrin's closest adviser and received an apparently uncorroborated "deathbed confession" anointing him as the successor. There are letters indicating that Endrin suspected Bhelen's treacheries but they do not explicitly state he did not wish Bhelen to succeed the throne under any circumstances (even as the last surviving heir of House Aeducan), although it's strongly insinuated and may be logically inferred. If Harrowmont had some written proof or at least corroboration of his anointment, Bhelen's claim and support from the deshyrs may have been weakened to the extent that a paragron's involvement may not have been necessary to resolve the succession crisis.

Given the nature of the in game information about the Dwarf political system, anyone who steps forth to claim the throne in this instance would probably need to be able to trace their claim to being a chosen heir by Endrin (and no doubt need to be noble caste). I would imagine only then would any deshyr risk the reputation and the safety of their house to publicly rally behind the candidate.

Anyway, it's just a video game, and it was compelling drama, especially by 2009 video game plot standards. If we were going for realism, we'd have to adopt Witcher 3 2015 standards, which means all the candidates would turn out to be arseholes, and you would end up having to go with the lesser of all evils--just like in real life. :smile:

Edited by ripple

“It is the Assembly who makes a king, and a king who nominates his successor. None of it is carried in the blood.”

"No one is born with rights to the throne. The sitting king may recommend a successor, but the Assembly ultimately decides who will rule."

s. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Pyral_Harrowmont

It seems to be a system very similar to the elder german system with our prince-electors who chose our king, which could be the designated one (by the earlier king) but should be the best man for the job...

(In still ancient times all of the estates chose, but the higher ones first with factual backing the lower ones their decision for concord/ unanimity)

Edited by rosvitacousland