[WIP/Tool] HKXPack - extract .hkx files

DexesTTP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Will this eventually work in a way similarly to HKXCMD, where we'll be able to run it through the Fallout 4 meshes directory and export animation files to a separate directory?

Hopefully it will, an any case I have noted your request and will implement it when I can.

We still have to decrypt the animation format itself though, and my goal is to not worry too much about the output until we have everything working.

I am currently working slowly on this as I have some work that popped up. I'll try to finish it as soon as possible.

Thanks for answering my question, I've been trying to import animations from Fallout 4 in to 3DS max ever since the game came out. I'm sorry you have to go through so much just to figure it out. Anyways, maybe you could take a look at what highflex was trying to do, he was able to convert HKX files to FBX, but only ones that where in a 32bit. You could convert them with the Havok SDK tools, but like it's been stated before, most hkx skeleton files don't open in the Havok SDK tools because because of file size, so you can't convert any character animation yet.

Highflex is working on it, but he's working on a game, so I haven't heard from him in a while.

Maybe you could take a look at what highflex was trying to do, he was able to convert HKX files to FBX, but only ones that where in a 32bit.

You could convert them with the Havok SDK tools, but like it's been stated before, most hkx skeleton files don't open in the Havok SDK tools because because of file size, so you can't convert any character animation yet.

Thanks for the advice, however it won't really be useful for me :smile:

As I previously said, my goal is to not rely on the Havok SDK to extract data, but to create my own tool from scratch.

I've read through what both Figment and HighFlex did, and each time what I'm trying to do is resumed in this line :

hkRootLevelContainer* container = m_loader->load( HK_GET_DEMOS_ASSET_FILENAME(assetFile.cString()) );

where m_loader is given by the Havok SDK.

My problem with this technique is that we can't use the SDK alone for most things, and you have to use ToolStandAlone.exe to convert stuff before.

Now, we can't put ToolStandAlone.exe in a mod without getting it removed (copyright and such), and we can't convert files from and to compressed hkx without. My original goal was to recreate Fore's FNIS in Fallout (I think we even had the name AF4 for it), but without a way to convert the HKX files I can put in a mod, I can't do it.

So, I created/am creating a tool from scratch that allows data to be written to and from a Havok packed file, WITHOUT using the Havok SDK nor the ToolStandAlone.exe tool. Without diminishing the work done by Figment and HighFlex, it's a little bit more difficult to do.

Also, about my progress so far :

The bulk of the work is done : I understood what is what in the file, I wrote some things to read data in a logical manner and except from a few bugs w/ an unknown data format I can already extract all contents from a hkx file. By the way, I have all my notes on GitHub, here.

However, I jeopardized myself and made it difficult to write data to a HKX file instead of reading it. So, I have to go over most of the stuff I already wrote and try to move it around to be able to reuse what I did and write data back. It's definitely taking some time and I've got a little short on time lately, so no real progress have been done the last two/three weeks.

• 2 weeks later...