Skyrim GPU slowdown over time

ViggyNash

I reinstalled skyrim and stuffed it full of mods. It runs incredibly well off my 760... for 10 minutes. I've read some other threads about gpu slowdowns, but it seems that they're mainly caused by GPU overheating, but that's not the case here. I use Afterburner's on screen display to keep track of a few vitals, including temp and GPU usage, and the temperature never goes beyond 60 (anyway, I'd hear it before it became an issue). The interesting thing is this: the GPU usage begins at >100% because I increased my TDP via Afterburner. For a while it stays there. But once I start to notice the fps slowdown and check the GPU usage, it's dropped to 30-50%. It's like it decides to just fall asleep. It isn't a memory issue either because I keep track of that too and I've changed my settings so that it never hits the VRAM limit.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Any ideas on how to fix this? As a side note, this is purely a Skyrim issue. FO4 does not have this problem and neither does any other game I've played.

I'm looking at the "GPU usage" value, which I assume is Afterburner's measurement of the overall utilization of the card.

As for the clock speed, no I haven't been checking that. I'll add that on the display and see what happens with that.

e: Throttling implies a heat problem though, right? I'm definitely not having heat issues since i'm staying under 60c. Something like FO4 will push the temperature to 70, in which case the fans audibly kick into high gear, but that's not the case with Skyrim. I'll still test the core clock, but It's not throttling in the way I understand it.

Edited by ViggyNash

GPU usage is just that - GPU usage. It isn't the same as TDP measurement for the card or GPU. Not all cards can report TDP measurements. Check clockspeed and see what its doing.

To your question: no, throttling does not imply "a heat problem." Modern graphics cards will dynamically adjust their clockspeed in response to utilization (which makes raw utilization numbers less perfect). Skyrim is a fairly undemanding game for a modern high-end card and it isn't surprising for it to throttle down as a result, however this can cause stuttering or slowdowns, ESPECIALLY for nVidia GPU Boost parts with Active VSync enabled. The other reality may be that your mountain of unspecified mods is causing problems, and it isn't GPU related - you could be hitting Skyrim's memory allocation limits, or hitting the limits of what your CPU can do, which can also lead to slowdowns/stuttering/lag/etc and would also comport with the GPU not being heavily utilized (and if its really bottoming out, the GPU will dynamically clock itself down as it isn't being utilized very heavily).

Complete system specifications would be very helpful.

I didn't reply earlier because I got busy for a bit, but I seem to have solved the problem. I think, I'm not totally sure on this, that it had something to do with the ENB preset being installed incorrectly. It wasn't that my system couldn't handle the preset since it now runs b/w 50-70 fps on average without slowdown over time.