How to change soul gem inventory icons?

sirioput

I'm working on a mod to replace soul gems with something different. I know how to replace the model and texture, but I have no idea how to change the inventory icon to match the new model. (Well, maybe some idea, but not enough.)

Most threads on this topic (changing map marker icon, changing map icons, changing crosshair) have gone unanswered. The ones that were answered tell me the GUI files are in SWF format and I have to use Fallout Mod Manager to extract the files from a .BSA. I'm real vague on this as the comments were vague. There don't seem to be any tutorials.

My problem is very specific. I want to change the soul gem inventory icons. Make it simpler: the petty soul gem icon (from that I can figure out how to do the others).

Anyone know how to do this, and willing to share?

First, I'd use BSAOpt for extracting BSAs. I've never heard of anyone using the Fallout Mod Manager for it. It's always worked great for me, and is easy to use.

Second, are you talking about the icons for SkyUI? I haven't played without SkyUI in forever, but looking at screenshots, I don't think vanilla Skyrim has icons for different items. To edit the SkyUI icons you'll have to modify the .swf like you already figured out, for an example Celtic Icons modifies both "skyui_icons_cat.swf" and "skyui_icons_inv.swf". I don't personally have any experience with it, but you might start here or here if you haven't seen those already. Hopefully somebody with experience will come in and have more to offer.