Tutorial: Softening Leliana In Your Save Game (In HEX! It's Easy!)

flairtorc

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Also I am editing the front page so that everyone knows. I have a rule in my email that AUTOMATICALLY pushes ANY alert about this post to the top of my inbox that is broadcasted to ALL MY EMAILS. Everyone is free to ask for help, I am alllllllwaaaays watching.... allllllwaaaays watching.

Hello everyone.

So it's been a while since Dragon Age: Inquisition came out. There was this extreme annoyance for many people, Leliana hardening if you missed 1 event. This would destroy player's endings, and cause some people to completely start over again. This is a tool to reverse all of that, so long as it is done before Leliana completely hardens. I originally posted this guide on the DAI Tools forums and am re-posting it here because honestly, that site is really difficult to post on, and this site has a MUCH LARGER user base. And therefore, more people who ran into this issue, will find their solution here. Here is my original post with... very few edits, mostly because I feel it is fine how it is.

Oh and as always, thanks to ricco19, for it was they who originally gave the clues needed to figure this out for everyone. There is a link to his post on those forums in the following guide.

Enjoy!

P.S. This takes up two posts due to image limits. Also I will post a link to the original once their moderators approve the changes I made and put the topic back up.

------------Original Post Here--------------

I am reposting this from a Mod Request Topic because I feel it will be easier to find here than there. This is verbatim what I said, because it took a while to write and I do not feel like editing it :3
-------------------------------------------------
EVERYONE!
I have figured out Ricco19's method for fixing Leliana if you botched up without knowing it!
Stay tuned for I will be posting a guide on this Topic on how to do it. It is FAR easier than Ricco19 stated can can be done within 10 minutes.
I shall be editing this post with the Guide, complete with pictures.
------------------------------------------------
Update #3!
I was informed that my images broke. I re-uploaded them to a different site and re-posted them in the guide! Sorry for the inconvenience!
Update #2!
I realized I forgot to put in a step, it is down below in the appropriate section. The first step after opening Hex Workshop for the first time.
Update!
As far as I know, this fix deals with fixing the first encounter you have with Leliana that matters, dealing with her in the Chantry, and determining the fate of the traitor agent. I do not know exactly what it has to do with the second encounter, where you tell her she was right to pull back her agent. This is simply steps on how to replicate what ricco19 did.
Alright, as already stated, this is a guide on how to soften Leliana before doing her personal quest, so that she doesn't go ape !@#$.
First thing's first.
This method is for if you MISSED the event that happens at Haven with Leliana. The game considers a missed event as a False flag. Since you missed it, one cannot use the save tool to change it to true.
I was not the one who came up with this method. We have ricco19 to thank for this. I am just posting a step by step process on how to do it.
So thanks ricco19. You can find his post here: http://daitools.freeforums.org/post8708.html#p8708
The most important step you should always do:
What you will need:
The Game(Duh).
Knowledge of copying and pasting files in windows.
Hex Workshop (The 30 day trial will be plenty of time to fix this)
The reason we use Hex Workshop is it can bit shift FOR you.
DAI Save Game Editor by Ehamloptiram
The Save Game Editor is pivotal in checking which of the following values we can use for replacing by making sure they are False. Any value that is True should not be used.
IMPORTANT: All selected values MUST be False. And MUST have a True counterpart.
What we are replacing:
45FE541FAFB6B54CA1D6C9143209017E,BOOL,DAO/Class/Warrior?

OR

635818FBA9E9094DADEA8C189A6301D5,BOOL,DAO/Class/Mage?

OR

6FD01163BF71374DBC977FA355D801D7,BOOL,DAO/Class/Rogue?

AND 3 of these 4. DO NOT USE THE ONE THAT YOU DID ROMANCE ( It will break things :) )

0A1A5BF0A764264EB067A4F6E3BD016A,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Morrigan?
79CF236575D34940A7CF12865342012E,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Leliana?
3BC3E7F9CB37F54E9002A2F89AB9016A,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Zevran?
F12631D0508FE54ABA1EB6F3683A01E0,BOOL,DAO/Romance/Alistair?
With the following 4 values:
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A,BOOL,Leliana did not kill agent  == TRUE
DADF5B4FCEAAA749AC724875AFD601D6,BOOL,??? == TRUE
0E8105EDBBB9694DBC4A913ADE0301C5,BOOL,??? == FALSE
DB286CE3E14E2D44964C573E2EB0010C,BOOL,??? == FALSE

Through research I have determined these 4 values have to do with the softening aspect of Leliana in Haven.
Alright now how do we do this? Well, after we made our backup, we will find out which flags we can use for replacing. This can be done this way:
Open the DAI Save Game Editor from wherever you saved it.
And open the save you wish to check, and later fix.
Then simply paste in the value you wish check into the search box and click search. It will highlight the found value. If this value is False, it is available for replacing. If it is true, leave it alone.
Do this for all of the replaceable values as directed until you have 1 class value and 3 romance values.
In my case:
45FE541FAFB6B54CA1D6C9143209017E
0A1A5BF0A764264EB067A4F6E3BD016A
3BC3E7F9CB37F54E9002A2F89AB9016A
F12631D0508FE54ABA1EB6F3683A01E0
Will be replaced by:
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A
DADF5B4FCEAAA749AC724875AFD601D6
0E8105EDBBB9694DBC4A913ADE0301C5
DB286CE3E14E2D44964C573E2EB0010C
Because I romanced Leliana :3
Now for the fun part. Open Hex Workshop and then Options, then Toolbars... A window will pop up and you need to check Data Operations and click Ok. Without this you will not see the Block Shifting operators. This will be done on your first time opening Hex Workshop.
Now open the file you wish to De-lunify Leliana.
First, use the Find Function to look for one of the replaceable plot flags we determined earlier on. An example would be "45FE541FAFB6B54CA1D6C9143209017E". After that we are going to Block Shift Right(Wait for this to execute, the larger the file, the longer it will take, have patience) then use the Find Function again after each shift until a match is found. I know ricco19 talked about bit shifting but that didn't work for me, I tried block shifting by accident. Lucky us. :smile:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Continued IMMEDIATELY in the next post. Had to cut it due to image limit.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Edited by flairtorc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE: There is some randomness when it comes to block shifting the file. One may need to repeat this step until the Find Function locates the string. However, if it finds the string immediately, which I HIGHLY doubt, you will be good to go for the next step and very lucky. I highly recommend tallying how many times you need to do this. As we will have to block shift in the other direction later!
After we have located the string and tallied the correct Block Shift Right amount, scroll to the TOP of the file and click the beginning. This is essential so that the next step works properly.
Now we can begin replacing all 4 Hex Strings. The simplest, and most error proof method I found for this is to click Edit, then Replace....
Then we put in the "Find:" box the first of the 4 replaceable hex strings we determined earlier. In the "Replace:" box we put the first of the 4 hex strings we are missing. Then click OK. If done correctly you will have a few options. Click ONLY Replace. A couple more boxes will pop up after replace. Just click OK through them.
Example:
Find: 45FE541FAFB6B54CA1D6C9143209017E
Replace: CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A
Note: Be sure that you have selected the beginning of the file, otherwise the replace will fail.
Repeat the replace step until all 4 values have been replaced over the old values into the document.
After we have completed replacing values, we need to Block Shift Left, the opposite of what we did before to make the values locatable. This is why I recommended you tally how many times you had to Block Shift Right. So that we can Block Shift Left back to where it was in the beginning. If you do not do this step, you save will be corrupted and will not work until you do so!
This is done in a similar fashion. Just click Block Shift Left the same amount of times you did it to the right. For those who need any more depth to this, if you previously Block Shifted Right 4 times, Block Shift Left 4 times.
After this is done you are on the home stretch. Save the file. Remember, so long as you have a backup, you don't have to worry about breaking things. You can always go back. Also, if you want to be extra careful, click File, then Save As... to save into a separate location. I will be doing the latter. Because I am paranoid...
DON'T LOOK AT ME!
You can now close Hex Workshop as you will hopefully not be needing it again for DAI.
We now re-open DAI Save Game Editor and open our newly created file(if you saved it to a separate location like I did). Then we once again use the Search option, only this time, we search for the values we use to replace the old values.
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A
DADF5B4FCEAAA749AC724875AFD601D6
0E8105EDBBB9694DBC4A913ADE0301C5
DB286CE3E14E2D44964C573E2EB0010C
When these values get highlighted as shown, simply double click them to change them from False to True, or True to False.
The values should be as follows:
CE01323A17870C4E95283D747263019A = True
DADF5B4FCEAAA749AC724875AFD601D6 = True
0E8105EDBBB9694DBC4A913ADE0301C5 = False
DB286CE3E14E2D44964C573E2EB0010C = False
After your values match as formerly listed, simply save. To keep the original name, click the file you opened. Create a new folder, and save your file into it. This is once again easier if you made a separate save. Less files to look through.
Finally to see if you did it all right. Close the DAI Save Game Editor and paste your newly created save into your DAI Save directory. Overwrite the existing old save and load up Dragon age: Inquisition. You should be able to safely overwrite because you have a backup save still... right? Of course you do. :D
If the game successfully loads then you are done! That easy! If it fails to load, paste in the backup save, and try again! Remember, the easiest way to mess it up is if you forget to Block Shift Left the same amount of times you Block Shifted Right. So be sure to never rush when following these steps. If you do you significantly increase your chances to do so.
I will be posting this as a tutorial in the General Discussion of the Save Game Editor section of these forums. And I will remain around to answer any questions. I will not answer any questions regarding Bit Shifting in Hex Workshop rather than Block Shifting. I do not know the difference, but I figured out Block shifting gave me the desired effect over Bit Shifting. No, I do not know the technical difference between the two.
Anyways, everyone good luck! And have fun with a far saner Leliana :D
NOTE: The only data I have saying this method works is I did it with the original save from the Topic that ricco19's method came from. I was able to recreate what he did pretty well. So it should work. For me, I have to wait until I reach her personal quest to see. I hope that any of you who are closer to this quest, or at it, have the chance to tell me that this has worked. Rather than failed. :D
Also if anyone needs further clarification on any of the steps, feel free to ask, for I will answer when I can.
--------------End of Origianl Post--------------
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Also I am editing the front page so that everyone knows. I have a rule in my email that AUTOMATICALLY pushes ANY alert about this post to the top of my inbox that is broadcasted to ALL MY EMAILS. Everyone is free to ask for help, I am alllllllwaaaays watching.... allllllwaaaays watching.

Edited by flairtorc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've followed every steps properly, but i got this error each time I block shift right : "The Undo Buffer (256K) is too small to hold this 734443 byte change on the document. Continue with Operation?"

So, I guess it means that I can't block shift back, and that's why I can't see a thing when I open my file in DAI Save Game Editor after changing the values, block shifting back left and saving it.

I even try to change the Undo Buffer to 1024 in the settings, he message doesn't show up, but I still can't see the code in DAI Save Game Editor.

Is that a problem, or am I missing something else?

Here is the file, if you wanna try : http://www.partage-facile.com/JJF9M3KCLI/daisavequik5c286beb.das.html

Thanks for answer.

PS : I surely missed the event, I don't remember doing it, and I can't find the values in my save file.

Edited by DarkWarius

Hi,

I've followed every steps properly, but i got this error each time I block shift right : "The Undo Buffer (256K) is too small to hold this 734443 byte change on the document. Continue with Operation?"

So, I guess it means that I can't block shift back, and that's why I can't see a thing when I open my file in DAI Save Game Editor after changing the values, block shifting back left and saving it.

Is that a problem, or am I mssing something else?

Here is the file, if you wanna try : http://www.partage-facile.com/JJF9M3KCLI/daisavequik5c286beb.das.html

Thanks for answer.

PS : I surely missed the event, I don't remember doing it, and I can't find the values in my save file.

What you need to do is open Hex Workshop and click on Options at the top, then preferences. After that, under Configuration > General, change the "Undo Buffer (KB)" to 2048. This should cover your file size.

With that you wont get prompted anything. I tried block shifting right and left identical numbers of times, saved, and then loaded it into the save editor and could see all values. If the undo buffer was causing the issue, this should fix it.

Let me know if this works.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Is there any reason the hex string shows up in the DAI Save game plot editor but NOT in Hex workshop? Every time i search for it I get back "The Specified Search String was not found".

To add, I first thought it was because I wasn't using a quick save like you were, so I reloaded to an earlier quick save i happened to make on accident, and the string showed up. The save was really far back though, so I decided maybe it had something to do with my saves being at Skyhold right outside the war room. I left the war room, fast traveled to redcliffe just for extra safety, and then saved. However, when i checked in Hex Workshop again, The string wasn't there.

So I've been trying desperately to notice what I could've been doing different than you, and I noticed that our saves are much different sizes. Your are about 400-500 kb whereas mine are 717 kb. The quick save I loaded where it worked was something like 600 kb, too. Do you think this has something to do with the issue, and do you know what I could do to fix this?

I am just before the point where you go to Leliana's personal quest. I was in the middle of it and I saw her kill Natalie even though I told her not to, and I'm thinking it may have been because I may have accidentally told Leliana to kill the traitor agent, because everything else on the Wiki list I know/am pretty sure I was following.

Edit: Man, disregard completely. I misread the purpose of block shifting (If you can't find string you block shift until you do and keep count how many times you did). I'll leave this here for posterity.

Edited by Mercnote

Hey,

Is there any reason the hex string shows up in the DAI Save game plot editor but NOT in Hex workshop? Every time i search for it I get back "The Specified Search String was not found".

To add, I first thought it was because I wasn't using a quick save like you were, so I reloaded to an earlier quick save i happened to make on accident, and the string showed up. The save was really far back though, so I decided maybe it had something to do with my saves being at Skyhold right outside the war room. I left the war room, fast traveled to redcliffe just for extra safety, and then saved. However, when i checked in Hex Workshop again, The string wasn't there.

So I've been trying desperately to notice what I could've been doing different than you, and I noticed that our saves are much different sizes. Your are about 400-500 kb whereas mine are 717 kb. The quick save I loaded where it worked was something like 600 kb, too. Do you think this has something to do with the issue, and do you know what I could do to fix this?

I am just before the point where you go to Leliana's personal quest. I was in the middle of it and I saw her kill Natalie even though I told her not to, and I'm thinking it may have been because I may have accidentally told Leliana to kill the traitor agent, because everything else on the Wiki list I know/am pretty sure I was following.

Edit: Man, disregard completely. I misread the purpose of block shifting (If you can't find string you block shift until you do and keep count how many times you did). I'll leave this here for posterity.

No problem man. Just so you know, if you did do the the first event in Haven with your original save, you can just use the save editor to change it. The point of this guide is if you missed the event completely. See the thing is Skyhold gives you plenty of time to find the second event, so I cover the first event. Obviously not the third for obvious reasons. Anyways you state that you accidentally told her to kill the traitor, right? Now it has been a while so my memory is foggy, but if that is the first event like I think it is, you should just be able to change it right off the bat with the save editor.

• 3 months later...

Hey I don't know if you're still around but I encountered some issues that I hope you can help me with.

Firstly, I did not miss the encounter. I chose the remain silent option when prompted to intervene. From what I've read this means that I should be able to find the plot flag and alter it. I thought it might be the ones you posted in the tutorial but when I searched for them it came up empty.

So when this didn't work I figured I'd give the whole hex workshop thing a go. I was able to find the values I wanted replaced through block shifting, but when I clicked on replace I kept getting the "Specific string was not found error".

I'm kinda at a loss, I'm going to keep trying to figure it out but in the meantime any assistance would be appreciated.

I also let her to kill the traitor but I'm not sure how to change the file in the save game editor either.

I also could not figure out what you meant with this step:

After we have located the string and tallied the correct Block Shift Right amount, scroll to the TOP of the file and click the beginning. This is essential so that the next step works properly.

If you could help me out that would be great! Thanks!