Tutorial: Softening Leliana In Your Save Game (In HEX! It's Easy!)

flairtorc

I also let her to kill the traitor but I'm not sure how to change the file in the save game editor either.

I also could not figure out what you meant with this step:

After we have located the string and tallied the correct Block Shift Right amount, scroll to the TOP of the file and click the beginning. This is essential so that the next step works properly.

If you could help me out that would be great! Thanks!

Hey I don't know if you're still around but I encountered some issues that I hope you can help me with.

Firstly, I did not miss the encounter. I chose the remain silent option when prompted to intervene. From what I've read this means that I should be able to find the plot flag and alter it. I thought it might be the ones you posted in the tutorial but when I searched for them it came up empty.

So when this didn't work I figured I'd give the whole hex workshop thing a go. I was able to find the values I wanted replaced through block shifting, but when I clicked on replace I kept getting the "Specific string was not found error".

I'm kinda at a loss, I'm going to keep trying to figure it out but in the meantime any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm always around.

Unless someone steals my email so I don't see messages.

I feel this applies to both of you. What I meant by scrolling to the top was that when you block shift, it shifts the HEX in a way that also moves where you currently have your cursor selected. For some reason, when you try to replace a string, it only searches DOWN from where your cursor is. If you scroll to the top of the file, and click the very first character on the top line, it will now try to find the string from the entire document.

If this does not fix the issue, just send another message and I'll start using my thinker box to help you.

Edited by flairtorc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i figured it out thank you! Tested it and it worked.

My problem was that after I had clicked replace, a prompt came up asking "Would you like to continue at the beginning of the document?" which last night I had kept clicking yes but clicking no made everything work.

Maybe you could use that information. Once again thanks a lot.

i figured it out thank you! Tested it and it worked.

My problem was that after I had clicked replace, a prompt came up asking "Would you like to continue at the beginning of the document?" which last night I had kept clicking yes but clicking no made everything work.

Maybe you could use that information. Once again thanks a lot.

Very weird. I haven't used the editor in a while, so they've obviously updated it since then. When I used it, it wouldn't even bother to ask me that. I'll add this to the guide if more issues like this crop up.

Hey I followed your advice and it seems to be working.

Thank you again for helping me and others save hours of their time.

No problem. The more time I save, the better.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I followed this step by step and didn't encounter any problems until the very end. The game save editor doesn't show the code of the file I edited on hex. Any help would be very much appreciated

Heyo,

With this kind of issue, I would say your most likely causes are going to be block shifting back the incorrect amount, a bad event replacement(missing character or a space or something), or searching with the wrong event ID(a space or something). Generally a small mistake. If I would you I might try it a second time. I'll still try to help you, don't see this as a write off, I buggered up the process a couple of times when I was WRITING this guide, so it's always worth trying a second time.

Hey, I followed this step by step and didn't encounter any problems until the very end. The game save editor doesn't show the code of the file I edited on hex. Any help would be very much appreciated

Heyo,

With this kind of issue, I would say your most likely causes are going to be block shifting back the incorrect amount, a bad event replacement(missing character or a space or something), or searching with the wrong event ID(a space or something). Generally a small mistake. If I would you I might try it a second time. I'll still try to help you, don't see this as a write off, I buggered up the process a couple of times when I was WRITING this guide, so it's always worth trying a second time.

After doing it 3 more times I finally got it right. Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

What do I do if it shows no results for a code, do I try another one?

Yes, that or you may have not block shifted enough for the value to become searchable.

Sorry about taking to long to reply, I must have missed the email alert.