[Request] Checking and modify the affinity status of NPCs in-game

jack1ofdkind

I think it'll be easier for people to confirm which NPC they want as their 'Beloved' in the game, I don't want to end up having a wrong partner after spending much effort 'romancing' (as in gifting) the person I adore. :pinch:

It is much appreciated when the modders can do something about this, some in-game UI or some ini/ config file tutorial to tweak the affinity numbers would greatly help me. :yes:

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Some example of bad romance in DDDA.

I wholeheartedly agree, this feature is desperately needed. Especially given the fact that to accomplish a romantic interest of your choosing, the player has to beat 90% of the game to see it. Nothing's worse than having all that effort dashed over something so small like not knowing the affinity level at the moments preceding the Grigori fight.

With Cielos' CheatEngine table, I can check/modify the affinity score of an npc. However, regarding having the "wrong" partner, dragon's dogma wiki notes it's an engine thing, with the affinity mechanics going overboard. At least I read somewhere DDDA is more "consistent" than previous versions where affinity goes all over the place cos capcom trying to fix the problem ad hoc.

The wiki's suggestion is to be sure of your beloved BEFORE the "Deny Salvation" quest, that is, the affinity of your chosen beloved have the highest score 1000. If multiple NPC have that max affinity, the engine will choose the last NPC with max affinity you spoken to as your beloved. So, to be sure, before the quest, decrease the affinity of all other NPC you not chosen. Or be sure not to be even in the vicinity of those NPCs afterward.

The problem is knowing/remembering which NPCs you have max affinity with. The game status only list how many, not who. And with only passing by an NPC will increase Affinity...

Edited by jared19

With Cielos' CheatEngine table, I can check/modify the affinity score of an npc. However, regarding having the "wrong" partner, dragon's dogma wiki notes it's an engine thing, with the affinity mechanics going overboard. At least I read somewhere DDDA is more "consistent" than previous versions where affinity goes all over the place cos capcom trying to fix the problem ad hoc.

The wiki's suggestion is to be sure of your beloved BEFORE the "Deny Salvation" quest, that is, the affinity of your chosen beloved have the highest score 1000. If multiple NPC have that max affinity, the engine will choose the last NPC with max affinity you spoken to as your beloved. So, to be sure, before the quest, decrease the affinity of all other NPC you not chosen. Or be sure not to be even in the vicinity of those NPCs afterward.

The problem is knowing/remembering which NPCs you have max affinity with. The game status only list how many, not who. And with only passing by an NPC will increase Affinity...

I'll give the cheat engine a try. Thanks for the helpful information! :laugh:

You're welcome.

I just wish there's an easier way to do it. My proposal is either:

1. List the names of all who have max affinity somewhere.

Drawback: the engine simulates affinity decay; affinity decreases overtime when not interacted, or if certain actions performed on the npc. This means the list is dynamic and need to be constantly updated, not to mention how to sync it with the savegame.

2. Make Arisen Bond work like it's intended to be

Drawback: without access to the engine source, making it work means keeping the receiver affinity to max, all other lowered, at least to friend status (score 850). This however means the mod has to iterate over ALL npc in the game to lower the affinity. This can make the engine slow down to a crawl, if not crashing it outright. Also, if all other npc affinity is lowered outright, it'll break the immersion of NG+. So only those with max affinity should be lowered.

Suggestion: cache npcs with max affinity. But this is essentially what proposal #1 suggests.

Hope someone somewhere solve this

• 4 years later...