Photo

How to make Nexus download mods with NMM?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Truchses

Truchses

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I just installed the latest NMM version for Fallout 4, with selecting NMM to handle Nexus links, but it doesn't. Everytime I click the download with NMM button on a Nexus mod page, it start MO instead. MO then complains that the mod is not a Skyrim mod - of course not, that's why NMM should download it.

I searched with Google, and the forums here. I tried the MO-nxmhandler and searched the Windows registry.

Is there a way to force Nexus to open its own manager?

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts

Your question was answered just 2 posts before.

Here is a link. http://forums.nexusm...er-downloading/

if you are wondering why it happened, MO hijacks the Nexus nxm files when you use it - This is not something evil, it is just how MO is able to download and install using the Nexus install from manager which was designed to be used with NMM. If MO didn't hijack the nxm, then MO wouldn't be able to download from the same 'download with manager' button. Pick one or the other and stick with it. :thumbsup:

Truchses

Truchses

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I read this post 2 posts before and did not find an answer in this, as I described that I used the nxmhandler, which did not work. And I might remember something about 1 year ago, when I installed MO, that I had to change the registry entry manually, I just don't remember exactly.

And as I understand the feature of MO, of course it has to hijack this - then when it should do it. And your advise is not usable for me. Neither is NMM able to handle Skyrim-MO-files nor is MO able to handle Fallout 4 files. That's why I installed NMM, else I would have sticked and rather prefered MO. That's why I installed MO2, explicitly for FO4. But of course if something doesn't work for somebody, it's me. That also goes for MO1, which lags heavily, for me. NMM behaves normally in loading, installing and deinstalling files, and I like the category system of NMM way better. But of course it lacks the special features of MO. I would like to see an integration of the too. I would created one, had I that insight. I figured in the beginning of FO4 with only a few hundred mods it is not that a problem, until MO2 becomes stable.

When I installed MO it did not hijack Nexus links in first place. They where still handled by NMM, until this was changed manually. Now with a new installation of MO on a new computer this year I had to check a box in the settings to make MO handling Nexus links. I unchecked this now. Did not work. I read about the nxmhandler and used it. Did not work. Now this nmxhandler starts and immediately shuts down, not offering any choice. I suspect the nmxhandler evaluates, that MO does not hijack nmx-links. Still MO does.

As you say, that MO is hijacking NMM-links: several possibilites and trials of disabling this in MO did not work. So I think the error lies in MO, at least in the current version. I suspected this. In the last weeks I worked on reading up the STEP and installing Skyrim mods STEP by STEP. And from conversations between STEP members and Tannin, and that he masters all this alone. I have no hope that he has the time to care for my circumstances. I myself can care for this only because of less work to do at the moment, and I wasted already some days for researching this issues with the result that there are some issues. I might already have done better with a manual installation of mods in FO4. But on the other side I am still in the process of learning which mods are useful and in which order, that's where MO2 would have been useful.

Still I think the problem should be a registry entry, that does not get reset properly, and it might be a simple manual act that takes a few seconds. My hope that somebody knows this here was already low when I posted. Still I think a year ago I found the answer per google or as an explicite instruction somewhere, but not now.

So my question still stands unanswered. It might boil down to a specific registry entry that declares which program has to handle NMX links.

Edited by Truchses, 02 February 2016 - 06:53 PM.

bben46

bben46

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts

Nope not a registry problem.  I probably shouldn't have used the word Hijack. :pinch: It is not hijacking the links, it is reassigning the .nxm suffix (file type)

When you install MO, It reassigns the .nxm suffix from NMM to MO use. That is  a Windows function. It tells WINDOWS to open any file with a .nxm suffix with MO. To get it back to NMM you must tell WINDOWS that .nxm suffix should be assigned to open with NMM.  

My guess is the MO developer made nxm handler to change the suffix from opening with NMM to open with MO, and didn't put in a way to reverse it. If he is actually making changes in the registry to do this then he is making things way too difficult. :rolleyes:

Windows has a program that allows you to work directly with suffixes and tell windows what program to open any file with that suffix with. You can change it to whatever you want. :thumbsup:

To access it through Windows, ( I use Win7 - it may be different for other versions)

Open the Windows control panel,

Then find and click on 'Default Programs'

The second entry - 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program' is what you want.

Any file types that are currently set to open with MO should be changed to open with Nexus Mod manager.

On my system  these are:

.fomod

.nxm

.omod

If you only have .nxm that just means you have never installed a mod with any other suffix.

Highlight the line by clicking once - then, look in the upper RIGHT corner of the page for a block that says 'Change Program' and click it

It should give you a choice of MO (current default) or NMM - just click on NMM to change it.

After changing be sure the 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file is checked

If all you are playing is FO4 then the only one you really need (And the only one that may show up)  is .nxm

.fomod is used with Fallout3 ( it was a special format for use with FOMM  that NMM can also use)

.omod is used with Oblivion(it was a special format for use with OBMM that NMM can also use)

Truchses

Truchses

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Thank you, but that does not work. The default program for .nmx is set to Nexus Mod Manager. Still MO is started, when I click on download with NMM.

And it gets stranger. I just renamed MO.exe so it cannot be started. Now if I click download with manager Firefox tells me it cannot find the file on Nexus.

Still no way to have NMM download a Nexus file.

Truchses

Truchses

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

I found it out. It's Firefox. You described the change of the file association in Windows. I knew of that, but didn't think of this in this context, as still I think I changed something in the registry due to an instruction note once when I changed from NMM to MO.

Firefox doesn't use the Windows file association, but uses it's own instead. It's similar to change as you described above, but found in the Firefox settings.

Thank you, Problem solved. It works now.

Edited by Truchses, 03 February 2016 - 07:47 AM.

bben46

bben46

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts

That's good info. Thanks for reporting back. :thumbsup:

robertfish

robertfish

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Legends for sorting and posting this, the pair of you. Firefox was causing the same issue for me with bannerlord. Many, many thanks.

TheSnark

TheSnark

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

@truchses Belated post but you nailed it. My hacker friend also helped confuse and clarify this issue. If an entry hasn't been made in a list by a program, it may have been made by a proxy. In this case, Firefox. Also keep in mind complexity may enter into things. A proxy may not have direct access to OS files and the program may have built in work arounds for this. In my case, I uninstalled MO and got an Nexus error. NMM had become unassociated with NXM URLs.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.893 seconds