Is there a guide to manually reset Fallout 4 to vanilla mode?

Haarlock

Remove all modes I hope you used the nexus mod manager, or know where you put what, delete all Fallout 4 ini files in Documents>My Games>Fallout 4, In the steam directory in the Fallout 4 there is an ini file with the name fallout on it delete it, then there should be folder called Fallout 4 in your Fallout 4 folder, delete the ini in it. Start the game let it scan everything and you are good to go, any save games you have that had mods not much you can do to fix those. As for going back a patch not sure on that one you might have to use google Fallout 4 patch download or Fallout 4 pc patch download. There is also the other method above that someone beat me too, delete the game and re download and install.

Edited by donta1979

I haven't found a guide yet that's written specifically for FO4 but the same basic steps apply as for previous Beth games. You can either make a Steam Backup which will only backup core game files from original installation, delete your entire game folder, and restore from the backup. Also be sure to backup and remove your save games and .ini files in My Documents/My Games/Fallout4.

For a more 'manual' method:

In Fallout4/Data/ folder (where all mods except loaders/injectors, script extenders are stored), delete all folders and files except the base game files - keep the Video folder, and any .ba2 files, and files beginning with "Fallout4 -" i.e. "Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2". In the base game folder make sure you delete any ENB or other custom loaders, injectors, etc.

Here's a tool posted by a member of the Nexus that will clean your data folder of anything but vanilla files:

Fallout 4 Data Folder Scrubber by ShadowReign Productions

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/153/?

Good luck, my recommendation is to always keep backups :o)

delete data folder [...]

If you want to download the whole game again...

If you DON'T want to download the game again delete the following files in the Data folder:

- all .esp files

- all .esm files except Fallout4.esm

Many mods use resources that can be either packed in an .ba2 file named equal to the .esp or loose in the following folders (in your data folder):

- Meshes

- Textures

- Scripts

- Materials

There are a few more, but these are the most important ones, that are used most.

With this procedure you can remove 99% of the mods. However you should be aware that removing mods mid game can damage your saves and in worst case make them unplayable. This will get worse when the CK is released and more custom scripts will be used.

Edited by DarthWayne

• 1 year later...

delete data folder [...]

If you want to download the whole game again...

If you DON'T want to download the game again delete the following files in the Data folder:

- all .esp files

- all .esm files except Fallout4.esm

Many mods use resources that can be either packed in an .ba2 file named equal to the .esp or loose in the following folders (in your data folder):

- Meshes

- Textures

- Scripts

- Materials

There are a few more, but these are the most important ones, that are used most.

With this procedure you can remove 99% of the mods. However you should be aware that removing mods mid game can damage your saves and in worst case make them unplayable. This will get worse when the CK is released and more custom scripts will be used.

THANK YOU..

• 1 year later...

Or...

1. Start NMM
  2. Create a new profile and name it Vanilla
  3. Select Tools and "Disable all active mods"
  4. Switch to the Plugins tab
  5. Manually deselect any remaining esps, e.g. "Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp"
  6. "Save Current Profile"

Now at this point I launch FO4 from Steam... and start a new game or load an existing vanilla game.

Edited by RasterOps