Could a modder get rid of Shaun? [Spoilers]

Zaatch

Please... I will so land on such mod(s) if it comes out after the GECK. 10 minutes into my 1st play through, I was already fed up of "muh Shaun!!!111ONEONE!"

On top of it, they give an actual name to our character and what we do in effect, is change its real name? What gives, Bethesda?

I feel no connection whatsoever to the Sole Survivor's "muh Shaun!!" blurb or the SS husband/wife (they die out of stupidity anyway... always nice to ignore a gun to your head...). At some point my head turned it into "some kid needs rescue" and blocked out all connections between Shaun and the SS... I kid you not.

Also, someone please add the option for us to marry our romanced companion? If I can see those 2 (not spoiling who) getting married by the pastor in Diamond City after talking to them and opening their eyes, then why can't we marry our companions?

About aren't most tribes marry after puberty? Or are fallout tribes different?

The point is that people complain that vanilla Fallout 4 forces you into the role of a family with a wife and kid and doesn't give you the freedom to really define your character as something different.

I'm actually not one of the people who has a problem with that, as I think it is better for storytelling to have a character with a bit of a background, such as Commander Sheppard. I prefer that to having everything being made mild, everything being as bland as the least common denominator of a character with too many choices.

But the simple fact is, the vanilla story did the marriage thing, so if I was going to do an alternate start I would have to go in a different direction to give the player variety. Especially if one of the goals is letting the player choose what age they are when they leave the comfort of their own village. We could probably start as early as 14, and even though this is a tribe, this is a post-United States of America tribe and I can't imagine anyone descending of that culture being ok with marrying off their children at 14.

So I personally would go with either a brother and sister and have some good sibling rivalry banter going on between the two. Two characters that really get under each other's skin and love to annoy the crap out of each other, but in the end will always have each others back.

That or I would go with two long term best friends, one male/one female, and give the player the option to stay in the friendzone and maybe even hook your friend up with someone, or realize that your friend is actually quite attractive and start making your moves on them.

To me, if I were to dedicate time to a project like this, it would be about creating something totally different so we can play the game from a totally new angle. I think it would even be possible to keep the 'Sole Survivor' and Shuan in the game, just as somebody else's problem. The 'Sole Survivor' would be an NPC and possible companion and you could help her find her son and husband if you wanted.

Her husband would actually not be dead in this alternate universe, but he got out of the Vault 10 years ago and met Preston Garvey and is now the General of the Minutemen.

Urgh, yes please. I spent HOURS working on quests to get a certain character to be my companion, to no avail. Eventually, I went to the wiki to find out what I needed to do to unlock them, as normal quest progression wasn't working.

Not only did this unlock a whole can of spoilers on me...

Whoever put Danse's species as "SYNTH" at the top of his wiki entry needs to be shot. I have strong feelings about that entire plotline, mostly that I can no longer take my BOS tin-can with me to do BOS stuff. It's like Bethesda didn't think of the repercussions to gameplay at all.

... it also showed that I had to progress the main storyline massively further than I already had to be able to do anything. And also the quest lines I had just dutifully done had special dialogue for said character, which I had now locked myself out of.

So, reload a file from 6 hours ago, sob quietly to myself, and dutifully follow the plot railroad.

Choo choo!

Edited by Athanasa

The point is that people complain that vanilla Fallout 4 forces you into the role of a family with a wife and kid and doesn't give you the freedom to really define your character as something different.

Me 100%, especially since I share the kids name but with a different spelling :pinch:

Edited by lilkandeekid

It wouldn't be such a problem for me,but another thing I forgot to mentio when starting this thread is: your dialogue options. "Why are you in diamond city?"

Options: "I am looking for my son"

"THOSE BASTARDS TOOK MY SON"

"I'm looking for a kid."

"*emotionally* they took something from me"

Like really Bethesda? No even one "I am starting a new life" or something?

It wouldn't be such a problem for me,but another thing I forgot to mentio when starting this thread is: your dialogue options. "Why are you in diamond city?"

Options: "I am looking for my son"

"THOSE BASTARDS TOOK MY SON"

"I'm looking for a kid."

"*emotionally* they took something from me"

Like really Bethesda? No even one "I am starting a new life" or something?

"I heard you had cookies here" should have been one of the options.

Even as someone who liked the decisions Bethesda made and bought into the story, I found having all 4 options being about Shaun to be ridiculous. With the amount of information I had gathered at that point in the game it didn't seem logical to be telling total strangers about my son... He was kidnapped after all, it isn't like he just wandered off at the park.

Something shady was afoot and I wanted to keep me mission under wrap until I trusted people to be on my side.