Could a modder get rid of Shaun? [Spoilers]

Zaatch

It wouldn't be such a problem for me,but another thing I forgot to mentio when starting this thread is: your dialogue options. "Why are you in diamond city?"

Options: "I am looking for my son"

"THOSE BASTARDS TOOK MY SON"

"I'm looking for a kid."

"*emotionally* they took something from me"

Like really Bethesda? No even one "I am starting a new life" or something?

"I heard you had cookies here" should have been one of the options.

Even as someone who liked the decisions Bethesda made and bought into the story, I found having all 4 options being about Shaun to be ridiculous. With the amount of information I had gathered at that point in the game it didn't seem logical to be telling total strangers about my son... He was kidnapped after all, it isn't like he just wandered off at the park.

Something shady was afoot and I wanted to keep me mission under wrap until I trusted people to be on my side.

Totally agree with that. The voice acting also makes the character have a personality , not being able to choose , for example, to be cynical or evil (can't say about the female character) it feels like I'm roleplaying as the same guy all the time. Also, RIP [intelligence] [Endurance] [Luck]and the other SPECIAL

dialogue choices

An "Alternative Start" mod would be a godsend..Frankly i don´t care a whiff about the brat..and the whole find shaun,find shaun,bluh,bluh,cry,sob,find shaun-- line of dialogue is pissing me off..i'm on my third playthrough and,honestly,*SPOILERS,SPOILERS,SPOILERS****.. my only feelings towards young shaun,old Shaun or whatever Shaun is .."please kill yourself or i certainly will"... If my own kid was that rotten i would take him out back and shoot him..

So,yes..an Alternative start,a story NOT scripted so tight and some options whilst making your character..would be appreciated ...

An "Alternative Start" mod would be a godsend..Frankly i don´t care a whiff about the brat..and the whole find shaun,find shaun,bluh,bluh,cry,sob,find shaun-- line of dialogue is pissing me off..i'm on my third playthrough and,honestly,*SPOILERS,SPOILERS,SPOILERS****.. my only feelings towards young shaun,old Shaun or whatever Shaun is .."please kill yourself or i certainly will"... If my own kid was that rotten i would take him out back and shoot him..

So,yes..an Alternative start,a story NOT scripted so tight and some options whilst making your character..would be appreciated ...

Your negativity is such a buzzkill...

Can't we talk about what awesome stuff we are going to do as opposed to whining?

For anyone who is actually interested in being constructive about an alternate start mod, what kind of focus would we want to see from the story? Obviously Fallout 3 and 4 have already done the whole 'I'm trying to find my family member' thing, so what kind of direction do you see things going in? Why is this 'character' out in the Commonwealth?

I think it is important that the character is somehow from outside of the Commonwealth, as Fallout games always tend to be about putting the player into a strange new world to explore. Exploring a world you have lived in your whole life is a bland story.

I don't think the story of my mod really lends itself to being a reason for a character to go out to a new land and explore... Unless of course you guys think a revenge story where the village got destroyed sounds good. Though I don't see my quest mod flowing well as a main story, and my factions seem a bit too odd to have the player come from them.

The other route to go would to be a Synth and escape from the Institute. Then I guess the story could be about freeing the Synths. But I think that might also be too limiting... And who really wants to be a dirty synth?

Totally agree with that. The voice acting also makes the character have a personality , not being able to choose , for example, to be cynical or evil (can't say about the female character) it feels like I'm roleplaying as the same guy all the time. Also, RIP [intelligence] [Endurance] [Luck]and the other SPECIAL

dialogue choices

If you don't like the voice acting, then you don't totally agree with me, because I love the voice acting. Having a voiced player is the best thing to happen to Fallout.

As far as the SPECIAL checks, I have already written many, many kinds of them into my mod. You have a very odd choice in checks though... Endurance... Really... Endurance...

Endurance is the only one out of the 7 I haven't used and never will use as a dialogue check. I also rarely use luck, but that one I think I should probably use more. I am very Perception and Intelligence heavy with the way I write dialogue.

One of my other goals once I get working in the creation kit is to use the real time mechanic of the dialogue, which I totally love, and create 'interrupt' options like you see in a game like Mass Effect 2. Just they would be based on SPECIAL attributes and have a strategy to them, where in Mass Effect you just always click it no matter what, because it is always good. Takes the strategy out of the players hands when you know it is always a win.

Your negativity is such a buzzkill...

Can't we talk about what awesome stuff we are going to do as opposed to whining?

For anyone who is actually interested in being constructive about an alternate start mod, what kind of focus would we want to see from the story? Obviously Fallout 3 and 4 have already done the whole 'I'm trying to find my family member' thing, so what kind of direction do you see things going in? Why is this 'character' out in the Commonwealth?

I think it is important that the character is somehow from outside of the Commonwealth, as Fallout games always tend to be about putting the player into a strange new world to explore. Exploring a world you have lived in your whole life is a bland story.

I don't think the story of my mod really lends itself to being a reason for a character to go out to a new land and explore... Unless of course you guys think a revenge story where the village got destroyed sounds good. Though I don't see my quest mod flowing well as a main story, and my factions seem a bit too odd to have the player come from them.

The other route to go would to be a Synth and escape from the Institute. Then I guess the story could be about freeing the Synths. But I think that might also be too limiting... And who really wants to be a dirty synth?

Maybe the children of farmers who got murdered? Then the player would have to survive the commonwealth while looking for revenge? Or maybe the parents last words were about an item that you must get back, something like a geck device that could save or destroy the commonwealth.

Maybe some subtle changes. Nate/Nora isn't actually your spouse - they're just a neighbour, and you just happened to be visiting when it all Happened. Sure, they're a friend, but you're not going to risk yourself for their kid (besides, it puked and shat on you twice in the space of 30 minutes).

Irritatingly, the Institute seems to have messed up and assumes you're Shaun's parent.

"I'm Shaun. Your son."

"Ooooh boy, there's some explaining to do here kiddo! Y'see, your mom was actually off doing some sort of show, and your daddy was at home looking after you. He invited me around to have someone to watch the baby so he could cook dinner, plus we had a thing going... Anyway, it all went to hell in a handbasket, and I ended up in the pod across from your dad. Your real mom's probably dead, or a feral ghoul."

"... Oh. I appear to have miscalculated."

"Yeah, just a bit. Thanks for letting me out the freezer, though! I'll forgive you for puking on my best top."

Also, Quincy Survivor: Start the game with Preston and co in the Museum. Stomp to the roof, take power armour, kill raiders and Deathclaw. Everyone things you're pretty baller, and you go off adventuring or help the Minutemen. Whatever, really.

Edited by Athanasa