Porting content from other games

mind you importing weapons often times is easy (at least when it comes to nif files), armor on the other hand is far more complex and can be, depending on the model itself, a very difficult process , with permission I am currently working on a project to port a (od) armor from oblivion to morrowind I am being very careful to not use any stock assests.

I'll be honest here it may be easier just to make youur own armor from scratch, which would have probably been easier in my case since morrowind uses a body system that consists of 14 different seperet body parts and oblivion uses about four, tha armor was built for oblivion in mind, and the both use very diffrent armatures

basically go make your own stuff in blender, that way you will get the praise that is rightfully yours and not someone elses that you just happen to cut up, also you wont run into the chance of having used asset from another game

Edited by thatsameguy

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then trying to explain to an 80 year old judge who has no clue how the Nexus doesn't have any control over what people 'trade' on a back channel attached to the sites.

Fortunately, at least in the US, the 9th Circuit and it's 80 year old judges addressed this. Precedent would protect sites like this in the US from the liability. Obviously this has no meaning in the UK.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Moderators and Staff,

I've started a thread here inquiring about the legality of receiving the DDS files for Skyrim from someone.

I am wondering if this falls in the category of 'porting', or at least some form of it. I'd like to follow rules, both here on the forums and within the law concerning this matter.

Simply put, my PSU is dead, so I can't play Skyrim. I wanted to work on the textures for an Armor Dye Mod on my laptop while I save up for new power supply. Of course, my story may not matter in this situation.

Thanks for help. I linked the thread, so in case you don't allow me to receive DDS files from members then you can 'lock' it or whatever. :P

Take care,

droscoe

Edited by droscoe2

@droscoe2; I responded in your topic. The basic question is, "Why would you need anyone to 'send' you any files if you already have a legitimate copy of the game? (Please use that thread to carry on the convo, rather than cluttering this one.)

The problem with this thread isn't being hard to understand. It isn't.

The problem with this thread is that for some reason I have yet to see anyone ask about writing from scratch a copy of an obscure feature in another game, with minor changes to fit the setting it's being brought to.

In question?

For instance, I have yet to see ANYTHING like the canister system in Geneforge, of which the link above is an adaptation and from-scratch rewrite for skyrim that I requested.

I personally think the idea was a genius one. I also think that offering it as a mod for skyrim might actually bring more people to the point of trying the Geneforge series, which is chock full of ideas like this that are very well implemented. I requested that the feature be made a possibility in skyrim. Then I found this page and the legality of the idea came into question.

I honestly hope that it is fully legal so that I can use something like that in skyrim. Geneforge was an awesome game for reasons just like the hard choice this idea would present to the player.

... ask about writing from scratch a copy of an obscure feature in another game...

If you write it from scratch, no problem!

I've seen excellent, by-hand reproductions of lots of materials; models, textures, game-play features, even whole episodes, from one game into another. Those are some of the most enjoyable mods, especially for the folk familiar with both games.

Our restriction is on the porting (taking) of the underlying code without permission. ('round here, that's called "stealing", and we don't tolerate it.)

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I have a mod that I made that replaces the Unrelenting Force shout with the "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" from Oblivion.

Would this be okay to upload, or would I be banned for this? The files that I'm uploaded were created by me, but the audio is of that line of dialogue.

I have a mod that I made that replaces the Unrelenting Force shout with the "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!" from Oblivion.

Would this be okay to upload, or would I be banned for this? The files that I'm uploaded were created by me, but the audio is of that line of dialogue.

If any of it came from the base game, even if you held a microphone to the speakers while it played to record it, you can't upload it. You have to actually make the recording yourself, or find one someone else has made (Bet that'd be a fun request...).