Porting content from other games

So, how can I tell if it's allowed to be used or not?

I've seen a good amount of mods using voices from shows and such(DBZ, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Fate/Zero, Street Fighter, etc.), are they usable because of how long ago they were done or because(in Fate/Zero's case) it was from Japan?

You can Google Public Domain and find out what is available to use. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that there was come clause for usage of video or voice assets being allowed when they were only like 10 seconds or less or something like that. It has been a long time (back in High School almost a decade ago) since I've had to deal with that kind of stuff, so things may have changed since then.

It is a misconception that anime or multimedia from other countries are exempt from copyright. They are not, they fall under copyright no matter where they come from. The U.S. follows copyright laws from other countries, so if you used assets from an anime or the like from Japan without permission, you are committing copyright infringement in the eyes of Japan AND the U.S.

When in doubt - don't do it. Period.

I would ask an admin or moderator about it it you want to still do it.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how can I tell if it's allowed to be used or not?

I've seen a good amount of mods using voices from shows and such(DBZ, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Fate/Zero, Street Fighter, etc.), are they usable because of how long ago they were done or because(in Fate/Zero's case) it was from Japan?

You can Google Public Domain and find out what is available to use. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that there was come clause for usage of video or voice assets being allowed when they were only like 10 seconds or less or something like that. It has been a long time (back in High School almost a decade ago) since I've had to deal with that kind of stuff, so things may have changed since then.

It is a misconception that anime or multimedia from other countries are exempt from copyright. They are not, they fall under copyright no matter where they come from. The U.S. follows copyright laws from other countries, so if you used assets from an anime or the like from Japan without permission, you are committing copyright infringement in the eyes of Japan AND the U.S.

When in doubt - don't do it. Period.

I would ask an admin or moderator about it it you want to still do it.

Hm...it seems there is no exception such as 10 seconds, or any rule allowing a time limit from what I read(apparently it's a myth).

Looks like I'll just have to record my own voice and edit the cheese out of it. :facepalm:

Thanks for the help. :happy:

Was looking through the BSA and noticed that the street signs and metro dungeon pieces are present within the New Vegas mesh folder however appear to be unused and do not appear anywhere within Geck.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4017/fo3signsnv.th.jpg

Would it still be in violation of site rules to extract and manually add these meshes manually to to the Geck editor in order to use them in maps?

If the raw assets are included in the BSA it is fine. This is why there is quite a few fo3 weapon mods like the Chinese assault rifle etc, but some assets not included like the Tribal Armor from The Pitt are not on the nexus/allowed to be ported (you can just supply ESP's not raw assets)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read here that you can recreate meshes and textures resembling objects, people, armor, etc. from other games and such, but what if you recreate music?

Would mods be taken down if they have recreated music?

I'm not sure, but I think that is okay to do, it would fall under the same concept.

That would be good if it does. :happy:

Would mods be taken down if they have recreated music?

Published music is usually protected by several copyrights, but the relevant one here is that the actual arrangement of notes is itself covered by copyright, so just doing your own version of a tune (without permission) would still breach copyright law.

Edited by roquefort

In general, we follow the lead of the publishers. If they're alright with "fanart" performances being publically posted (e.g. youtube) then so are we. In all cases, we do prohibit copies of OTHER people's performances, (especially the OST) without permission.

I'm personally aware of several cases where artists were asked for, and granted, their authorization to upload renditions of game themes as mods.

Example 1: "Intro music replacement by Malukah".

Example 2: (Full Disclosure -- My fav, since I'm the one who FB'd the request to her to keep another member out of trouble...)

"Main Theme - Piano and Violin by Taylor and Lara".