Fallout 4 invisible or missing textures

Omenpl

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i try'd to manual download but instead of win rar im using 8zip lite and i got a material file a mesh file and a texture file and under that was an esp file so do i send all these to my data file or do i need to send them elsewhere? because putting everything in my newly made pampas file inside the data folder did'nt seem to work. im guessing im probably doing something wrong so some more help would be hot

Not used 8zip lite before so I'm not familiar with it's process of unzipping files, I'd recommend you use 7zip instead.

The contents of the mods folders go in their corresponding folder in fallout4\data.

materials folder content go in fallout4\data\materials

textures folder content go in fallout4\data\textures

meshes folder content go in fallout4\data\meshes.

(the same rule apply for sound,video,interface,music etc)

For example, say the mod you downloaded has amongst it's folders, one called textures... and inside that is a folder called ghoulmorph (that contains the actual texture/s that the mod uses) you would copy the ghoulmorph folder, go into the textures folder in your Fallout4 installation, and then paste the ghoulmorph folder.

Any .esp file goes in fallout4\data, as doesn any .ba2, any .esm

Most mods are packaged with this kind of file structure so that it corresponds with the Fallout4 file structure, and their mod uses these locations for it's references. This might explain why it didn't work for you, if you ended up with a material file, a .nif file, a .dds file and a .esp all in a single folder.

As an aside, opening the fallout4\data folder and seeing how the various folders are structured and where files are placed is a good way to familiarize yourself with this; just don't delete or move anything accidentally!

Not used 8zip lite before so I'm not familiar with it's process of unzipping files, I'd recommend you use 7zip instead.

The contents of the mods folders go in their corresponding folder in fallout4\data.

materials folder content go in fallout4\data\materials

textures folder content go in fallout4\data\textures

meshes folder content go in fallout4\data\meshes.

(the same rule apply for sound,video,interface,music etc)

For example, say the mod you downloaded has amongst it's folders, one called textures... and inside that is a folder called ghoulmorph (that contains the actual texture/s that the mod uses) you would copy the ghoulmorph folder, go into the textures folder in your Fallout4 installation, and then paste the ghoulmorph folder.

Any .esp file goes in fallout4\data, as doesn any .ba2, any .esm

Most mods are packaged with this kind of file structure so that it corresponds with the Fallout4 file structure, and their mod uses these locations for it's references. This might explain why it didn't work for you, if you ended up with a material file, a .nif file, a .dds file and a .esp all in a single folder.

As an aside, opening the fallout4\data folder and seeing how the various folders are structured and where files are placed is a good way to familiarize yourself with this; just don't delete or move anything accidentally!

oke so i just relocate the file's ive misplaced and that should solve the issue im gonna try it and let u know if it works or not

sorry no dice the game aint recognizing my pampas files, it does through the modmanager but then i dont have any texture's but if i do it manually i dont get anything at all the game just does'nt recognize my esp file even do i should have everything in the right folders now. the only thing i can do now is check on my ini file's to see if everything is set properly because there was some stuff on that in some earliër posts so im gonna try that and see if anything is wrong

my custom ini file looks like this now

[Display]

iLocation X=0

iLocation Y=0

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

is this correct if not please let me know also i checked out my fallout4 pluggins txt file to see if my pampas plugin was in there and it was but for some reason the game just is'nt pikking up on it

These directions for manual install might also help: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

Assuming that the mod AGreatWeight linked above is the one you're trying to install, I downloaded the low res version just to take a look at their file structure. It has three folders and an esp at the root level of the zip file. The easiest way to do this is to open TWO file explorer windows and place them side by side. After opening it once, right click on the file explorer icon and click on "File Explorer" to open a second copy of it. In one window, browse to your Fallout 4>Data directory. In the second file explorer window browse to your unzipped mod folder.

In the unzipped mod folder: Open the Materials folder, highlight its contents and drag/drop to your Fallout 4/Data/materials directory. Thus you would have a folder (with contents) called "rafletas" in your game directory like this: Fallout 4/Data/materials/rafletas. Repeat this same action for each folder in your unzipped mod directory, once each for Materials, Meshes, and Textures. Materials to Materials, Textures to Textures, etc. Finally drag/drop the rpampas.esp into the Data directory itself. So it will be Fallout 4/Data/rpampas.esp

Are you talking about this mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19263/?

yep that's the 1 for some reason i just cant get it to work

@damanding: i already try'd that but and i even checked my plugins txt file to see if it was there and it was but still the game wont recognize it for some reason that's why i was wondering if there could be a problem with my ini files because i got 2 sets of fallout 4 ini default ini and custom ini. 1 set in my documents folder that where generated by the game and 1 set in my steam/fallout4 folder that i made myself but the game generated ini files seem to have a few more line's to them so i dont know witch set is right can some1 show me what all the ini files are suppost to look like so i can compair

Edited by schouwburg663

These directions for manual install might also help: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

From the above link:

Enabling Plugins

Plugins, unlike loose files, must be enabled in Fallout 4 by adding them to your plugins.txt file before they are active in-game.

• Locate your plugins.txt file in your Fallout 4 AppData folder
This folder is hidden by default. To ensure that you are able to see hidden files in windows file explorer, access Tools > Folder Options > View > then select “Show Hidden Files” The Fallout 4 AppData folder can be found in “C:/Users/[YourUsername]/AppData/Local” Alternatively, in windows explorer, you can type “%LocalAppData%/Fallout4” into the browser bar and be taken directly to this folder.
  • Run the Fallout 4 Launcher (do not run the game) then quit the launcher. This will populate your plugins.txt file with the newly added ESP file.
  • Open the plugins.txt file located in Fallout 4's AppData folder with a text editor such as Notepad++
  • Ensure the new ESP file is listed.

The above directions are to make sure your manually installed mod gets enabled correctly.

How to enable modding

1. Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
  2. Within this folder you'll find a number of .ini files.
  3. Open (or create, if missing) Fallout4Custom.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++).
  4. Add the following lines to your Fallout4Custom.ini [Archive] bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 sResourceDataDirsFinal=
  5. Save and close Fallout4Custom.ini
That's it, you're ready to get modding! :smile:

These directions tell you what to add to your custom.ini. It also tells you where the files go. If you have files you added yourself in Steam>Fallout directory, just delete them. The custom file goes in the same location as the game generated ini file.

Edited to add: the stuff you add to your custom.ini just makes it so your game can use mods. It doesn't affect the plugins.txt file at all. That's a separate issue.

Edited by damanding