HTML tags no longer work for renaming items.

CaarosKingOfChaos

As we all know, the item renaming at the various workbenches supports the use of html tags, like those for italics and bold text. My problem is that ever since the 1.3 patch, the tags simply disappear and don't make any difference on the item's name. I have tried asking on the Steam forums, but I have been almost completely ignored for some reason. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Here is my load order if needed.

Fallout4.esm
Arbitration - Resources.esm
Snap'n Build.esm
Homemaker.esm
Robot Home Defence.esm
Durable Vertibirds.esp
GlovesOfTheCommonwealth.esp
Craftable Armor Size.esp
LoweredJetpakAPDrain.esp
PipBoyShadows.esp
Workshop Shipments Rebalanced.esp
DeadBodyCollision.esp
Dynamic Weapon Shadows.esp
Arbitration - Button Lowered Weapons.esp
Pos_ShopPositons.esp
Pos_GuardPositions.esp
OSHA_Signs.esp
Companion Infinite Ammo.esp
BetterCraftingStationPerkRequirements.esp
Snap and Build - Patches.esp
Snap and Build - Modules.esp
extendedLightsWS.esp
LongerPowerLines3x.esp
OCDecorator.esp
OCDispenser.esp
Homemaker - Greenhouse and Bunker Disabler.esp
Realistic Death Physics.esp
Brotherhood of Steel Kit.esp
DarkerNights.esp
TrueStormsFO4.esp
TrueStormsFO4-LITE-Audio.esp
DarkerNights-TrueStorms-LITE-Audio.esp
TrueStormsFO4-ClimateSettings.esp
TrueStormsFO4-GlowingSeaExtraRads.esp
DarkerNightsDetection.esp
Remove Interior Fog.esp
Gasmask Fix.esp
SatelliteWorldMap.esp

I can at least confirm having the same change in behaviour. I wouldn't actually be very surprised, if it was indirectly related to

Enabled number of characters available when renaming an item (XB1)

which is mentioned in the changelog, even though that should only affect XB1. Edited by wax2k

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

They did this eons ago as part of the usual "anti-fun" crusade. It's worth noting that any item renamed with these tags that was "grandfathered in" (meaning it was named with HTML tags before the 1.3 update) still retains them SO LONG AS YOU NEVER TOUCH IT. If any "instance naming rule" tries to auto-rename it or you attempt to rename it manually, it will break the tags.

The HTML tags also still work if placed into an item's default name in the plugins themselves. Since they still work like this, it sounds like it WOULD probably be possible to create an F4SE .dll that attempts to intercept an HTML tag and injects the data in manually at runtime (but that's far beyond my abilities to create).

---------------------------

The 1.3 update should honestly be renamed to the "Let's f*ck everything up(date)". To list just SOME sh*t it broke:

- Removed HTML tags.

- Nuked legacy compatibility for .bsa archives (for no good reason).

- Nuked texture compression compatibility for ANYTHING other than DXT5. If you try to use a texture with any other type of compression, the game will instantly CTD (so we can add textures to the list of things

that can make your game crash now - yep, I think that's literally EVERYTHING that be the source of a CTD now Bethesda - GG).

- Made the game generally something like 500% less stable and more likely to cause CTD's.

- Generally unoptimized the game, buttf*cking people's framerate down even LOWER than it already was.

- Made another (rather futile) attempt to stop their PC audience from doing "unofficial modding" before their HORRIFYINGLY awful Creation Kit was "ready".

- Broke all user-made .swf replacers (unsure why that time, as they did not change their .swf iconlib which is normally the reason for CTD's from modded .swf's).

- Introduced a SLEW of additional game-breaking bugs, including (but not limited to):

* The "stealth in 3rd person makes you permanently invisible" bug.

* The "using a workbench in 3rd person mode cause a CTD on exit" bug.

* The "using a workbench in 3rd person mode breaks the camera position on exit" bug.

* Exacerbated the now-infamous "cell reset" bug in player settlements.

* Introduced new 3rd person inconsistencies that made it even more inferior to 1st person, such as:

** ALL speed modifying "enchantment" effects on armor not being applied in 3rd person (i.e. the "sleek" mod for sneaking, or the power armor

sprint speed leg mod). *This bug has NOT been fixed, and probably will never be...

** Recoil reduction weapon mods do not apply in 3rd person mode. *This one appears to have been fixed at some point, but was easiest to see the impact it had at the time using the Laser Musket.

Etc. etc. etc.

...()...The 1.3 update should honestly be renamed to the "Let's f*ck everything up(date)"...()...

Just curious: have all the screwy things you mentioned introduced in v1.3 (bar the ones that seem to have been resolved) never been adressed in later updates of the game? Meaning, those alterations are still present to date?

• 2 months later...

...()...The 1.3 update should honestly be renamed to the "Let's f*ck everything up(date)"...()...

Just curious: have all the screwy things you mentioned introduced in v1.3 (bar the ones that seem to have been resolved) never been adressed in later updates of the game? Meaning, those alterations are still present to date?

No. Why would Bethesda fix their own damn bugs? They never do that. Only a few of them were ever addressed, including:

* The "stealth in 3rd person makes you permanently invisible" bug.

* The "using a workbench in 3rd person mode cause a CTD on exit" bug.

* The "using a workbench in 3rd person mode breaks the camera position on exit" bug.

* Exacerbated the now-infamous "cell reset" bug in player settlements.

- Stability nuking.

- Removed legacy support for texture compression types as well as .bsa archives.