LHammonds Readme Generator and OBMM Site

LHammonds

Just so everyone knows, my website is still available. Only the DNS name has changed.

My DNS host provider DynDNS.com has deleted my lhammonds.game-host.org account. When I tried to sign up for a new account, I no longer am able to select a "game-hosts.org" account and thus unable to restore the original name.

I have kept that account live every 30 days since I joined here in 2006 and created the OBMM How-To web site (and Readme Generator utility).

The hundreds of readme files that have a URL to the readme generator are now forever broken and out of my control. I apologize for that and did not think it would be an issue at the time. I was obviously mistaken and trying to create another DynDNS domain name would stupid of me to repeat that mistake knowing what I know now.

So please spread the word about the new URL and if you are modders, please update your readme files to reference the new URL from this point forward.

Old Domain:

lhammonds.game-host.org

New Domain:

HammondsLegacy.com

URL to the OBMM How-To web site

http://HammondsLegacy.com/obmm/

URL to the Readme Generator

http://HammondsLegacy.com/obmm/tools_readme_generator1.asp

EDIT #1:

Interesting tid-bit of info I stumbled upon while looking for pages with links to the old URL. Webstats show my site as #7 most popular for that domain.

EDIT #2:

I've begun updating all the links on the Nexus Wiki, CS Wiki, my sig on various sites and have much of it updated but I'm too tired to continue updates (5am). I'll continue updating my various tutorials and threads and finally the descriptions and readmes of all my uploads (OMG, there are so many...this is going to take forever)

EDIT #3:

I'm very sorry this happened. Even though my site is still online, this one fly in the ointment is major pain.

I initially started to re-create a new account to make something like lhammonds.dyndns.org but I noticed there is a problem with dyndns and gmail. I never got a confirmation / activation email and when I did a force password change, it still failed to send an email through. I created another account using a hotmail address and it worked perfectly. That tells me something is wrong with dyndns or google is blocking them (much like when the Nexus was flagged as a "bad site" once and took several days to clear it up). Checking my email notification logs, I see email activation notices every 30 days for quite some time back but never got the last email notification when it should have arrived. I assume it was a couple days after when they auto-purged my 6 year-old account I had with them.

Needless to say, creating a new account and doing that all over again in the future is something I want to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the up date and readme geny of course also, suppose bump so ppl can see this I guess, google brought it up on search.

That's terrible. Something similar happened to me once. In my case my old host purged my whole free handmade textures and wallpapers library, too. Google blocks a lot of sites, for reasons which aren't always very transparent. I'm very glad your resources will still be available.

Even though I had to reply to an email every 30 days to show "activity" on the account to keep it from being purged, I was never really worried to much because if it was deleted, all I had to do was create a new account and associate the same domain name to the same IP...easy as pie. However, I never counted on them removing the domain as a possible selection! I have modified much of what I've posted on various sites (the ones that allow me to edit) but I still have quite a few to go.

At least I have this domain for several more years and the option to re-up for another 10. :)

Even if I die and my site fades away, almost all my mods and tutorials are scattered to the 4 winds so they'll live a bit longer than I will. The readme generator is OK but once you have a few templates, you really don't have to use the generator again...thus why I provided several static readme examples.

LHammonds

• 3 weeks later...