Getting On The Institutes Bad Side. [SPOILER]

MadTod

I think I messed up my perfect ending playthrough. Went to Mass Fusion to get an item. Thought while I'm here might as well get that thing in the basement. Used my real working jetpack to fly up to the roof and get the key to the basement. Went down in the basement and got that other thing. The second I grabbed the thing that makes your Geiger go tick tick all hell broke loose. I think I succeeded in pissing off not only the institute but also the BOS and probably the railroad. I didn't know you could self trigger the quest Mass Fusion without ever being inside the institute and also prior to the arrival of the prydwin. Hostile institute forces were waiting for me in the lobby then the BOS showed up. Where the hell did they come from? I don't think the BOS was initially hostile but between me with the galting laser and piper with the explosive minigun their unexpected arrival put them in the crossfire. Piper and I walked out of there with our indestructible armor all shot up. How could things go so wrong so fast? Meh too bad for them if they cant take a joke.

You've used the right tactics for the wrong faction. I've operated in a similar fashion, though as a member of both the Institute and the BoS and - in a mission for the Institute. Watched the two faction battling on the ground floor without getting a salute by a gun dispute. Mission accomplished.

Ya I blew it. The BOS forgave me after enduring some verbal abuse from Elder Maxon. I still had what they wanted I guess I went to the institute trying to get banned and fail the institute quest but that didn't work. The bodies were piled up in mounds of ash cinder and gore at choke points. I got myself good and banished but the quest was still active. Maxon yelled at me some more when I got back. Maxon really blew his lid when I refused follow his orders regarding Danse but some smooth talking keep me in good graces with the BOS. I wound up back at Mass Fusion trying to find the thing in my pocket and had to resort to console commands to convice the game I had the stupid thing. Then I got yelled at some more by Maxon because I never found Dr Lee and could not go back to the institute. They actually have an alternate in that eventuality. When Maxon finally dismissed me and told me to talk to the Lancer Captain. I was so happy to talk to someone else I didn't think to avoid the captain and he sent me to kill the railroad. I figured Maxon would have a stroke if I didn't do it so too bad for the railroad. I can still do the minuteman ending just to see Maxon's reaction. Maxon's face actrually changes color when he gets real angry so we can call this the purple Maxon ending

Yup. Talking to LC Kells in Tactical Thinking (BoS) is a nasty trap that automatically sucks the player char into Bethesda's hostile endgame without having caused anything yet. Had to resort to an earlier save to digest that trick 404 first. Since then Kells is waiting for me in vain, as is Father/Son/Holy Ghost in his heavenly apartment down under in End of the Line and the suicide comedians "Laurel & Hardy" at a certain bus station near Cambridge Police Station in Precipice of War. When it comes to control it can be only one - me. So gimme the prize, Bethesda! Just gimme the prize!