.esm or .esp ?? Does anything frigging work?

apostate9

My problem: navmeshes in .esp file are evidently know to be sketchy. Ok. So make my mod a master if it adds new cells. Problem is, not only does this mean changes to the vanilla world won't show up with some sort of "integration plugin", I am now finding out it is another "known issue" that quest scripts glitch out in home-made master files! So I can choose between working quests and working navmeshes? What a nightmare. Anyone have any idea how a full-on DLC can be made that has navmeshes AND quests? I am so friggn' irritated right now, I have pounded my head against this mod for almost a year now, and when I find the fix to my navmesh woes, it busts the quest. Awesome.

yes in deed But DLC means Licensing through the Bethesda Corp. To do a maser, you must complete a settings in an esp and try them out, really hammer the mod. Make sure the Mod you develop is last in the load order and Don't add others to the game. If you are using any other mods /DLC's etc then you can not make a DLC because those are commercial programs and the data is copy wrtten. If you use only the fallout 3.esm then yes it is possible to be a candidate for DLC submit ion. The mod you make once done and trials are completed with no bugs. you set it up in the geck as active. Now you use forced Finalized on that esp and it will grow to massive proportions should the GECK not crash on you. Once it has been done this way. You can now master it. using the GECK Edited by ccmechanic2

It is only the part of a mod that adds new cells that needs to be a master? Curious about this because I do plan to add a couple of new areas eventually in my own mod. I did not realize it could be so difficult to do. What happens if you make an esp mod with cells? Crashes? Or stuck objects? I have always been under the impression that whole purpose of the esp was to override the ESM to create new stuff but this does not work to good with cells?

the term cells is a bit vague here. If your speaking of group's in the mod , the actual cells, those are made by the Geck along with it's related strings. No way to master them internally Except with flagging. but once flagged, it will produce errors if another mod uses those flags with different strings. Crash time. But if cell you mean the actual Mod it's self?

Now there are two forms of esp's. one that is very small that contains the data you just made. And a finalized version of the same file done with the geck. Very big file. A whole lot depends on where your at here and what stage your in. you can not modify a master file or a finalized file. Only a freshly made NEW file can be altered and manipulated to your spec's.

the term cells is a bit vague here. If your speaking of group's in the mod , the actual cells, those are made by the Geck along with it's related strings. No way to master them internally Except with flagging. but once flagged, it will produce errors if another mod uses those flags with different strings. Crash time. But if cell you mean the actual Mod it's self?

Now there are two forms of esp's. one that is very small that contains the data you just made. And a finalized version of the same file done with the geck. Very big file. A whole lot depends on where your at here and what stage your in. you can not modify a master file or a finalized file. Only a freshly made NEW file can be altered and manipulated to your spec's.

I mean custom cells. actually adding new areas like AWOP. My currently uploaded Nexus mod is relatively small and is primarily a respawn loot NPC's etc.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41251

It only effects settings, ownerships and respawn flags. Its main focus is on those of us who like a non ending type game. As long as you do not finish any of the main quests the game will go on forever with respawns for supplies etc. Currently I am working on a expansion that provides tough NPC's with tough armor and weapons and it is very extensive to provide a tough challenge to even a level 30 player. This part I am doing now requires no new content. I am simply making multiple leveled versions adding twists here and there of the stock GECK inventory.

The next phase I want to add new explorable areas which means adding new custom cells. Completely new. I am basically learning my through the GECK phase by phase. I think I am currently safe using esp as in there is no real new meshes or textures except one which has already been tested and works. A small single item edit that adds havoc to an already existing nif. But if I add these new areas then it looks like if I am reading your info correctly I will need to learn the make an esm method.

Can this be done via FOMM?

Edited by deu58

My problem: navmeshes in .esp file are evidently know to be sketchy. Ok. So make my mod a master if it adds new cells. Problem is, not only does this mean changes to the vanilla world won't show up with some sort of "integration plugin", I am now finding out it is another "known issue" that quest scripts glitch out in home-made master files! So I can choose between working quests and working navmeshes? What a nightmare. Anyone have any idea how a full-on DLC can be made that has navmeshes AND quests? I am so friggn' irritated right now, I have pounded my head against this mod for almost a year now, and when I find the fix to my navmesh woes, it busts the quest. Awesome.

Something I found out today was that result scripts in a esp will work even if they refer to references that don't have the 'persistent reference' box ticked, but as soon as you flip the esm bit on, they don't fire off. I would suggest that you get the Geck Powerup, and click on all your quest stages and topics. If there are any of these errors (and many more), they will pop up. Also, recompile any other quest or object scripts you have.

I mean custom cells. actually adding new areas like AWOP. My currently uploaded Nexus mod is relatively small and is primarily a respawn loot NPC's etc.

http://www.newvegasn...le.php?id=41251

It only effects settings, ownerships and respawn flags. Its main focus is on those of us who like a non ending type game. As long as you do not finish any of the main quests the game will go on forever with respawns for supplies etc. Currently I am working on a expansion that provides tough NPC's with tough armor and weapons and it is very extensive to provide a tough challenge to even a level 30 player. This part I am doing now requires no new content. I am simply making multiple leveled versions adding twists here and there of the stock GECK inventory.

The next phase I want to add new explorable areas which means adding new custom cells. Completely new. I am basically learning my through the GECK phase by phase. I think I am currently safe using esp as in there is no real new meshes or textures except one which has already been tested and works. A small single item edit that adds havoc to an already existing nif. But if I add these new areas then it looks like if I am reading your info correctly I will need to learn the make an esm method.

Can this be done via FOMM?

Mastering must be done with the GECK. Using other tools to alter flags are really meant to test things. Tsnip in the Fomm program does different things unlike the GECK so the answer is no. @apostate9 the best thing is to do as I suggested here. Make a back up of each stage of compiling for the file. Separate Folders to contain your work so you have the opportunity left to change things later. What rickerhk is talking about is a non finalized esp that is made into a master. Thus it is missing a whole lot of data to perform the needed operations and functions in the game as a master. Here is where you can start to accomplish your quest. (http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Bethsoft_Tutorial_Layout)

It is very straight forward and will remove all doubt about what you seek.

Hi ccmechanic2, getting a tad confused here as to what you are talking about. Maybe it's just terminology.

When you talk about 'finalizing', are you talking about the navmesh functions?

If not where does this function exist and by what name? I can't find it in the NV Geck.

Do you need edit the ini file to enable these functions? (like with multiple master support)

Mastering must be done with the GECK.

From http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Category:Data_Files

Master files and plugins are largely identical in format, but have some important distinctions in practice. The main practical difference is that GECK will not create master files.

It's this discrepancy that makes me think it's a teminology thing.

What rickerhk is talking about is a non finalized esp that is made into a master. Thus it is missing a whole lot of data to perform the needed operations and functions in the game as a master.

Can you provide an example of this missing data? Myself and others have been using this method without incident.

BTW, telling apostate9 to go back to read the starter tutorial is kind of pointless. He could probably write one himself :)

Hi ccmechanic2, getting a tad confused here as to what you are talking about. Maybe it's just terminology.

When you talk about 'finalizing', are you talking about the navmesh functions?

If not where does this function exist and by what name? I can't find it in the NV Geck.

Do you need edit the ini file to enable these functions? (like with multiple master support)

Mastering must be done with the GECK.

From http://geck.bethsoft...gory:Data_Files

Master files and plugins are largely identical in format, but have some important distinctions in practice. The main practical difference is that GECK will not create master files.

It's this discrepancy that makes me think it's a teminology thing.

What rickerhk is talking about is a non finalized esp that is made into a master. Thus it is missing a whole lot of data to perform the needed operations and functions in the game as a master.

Can you provide an example of this missing data? Myself and others have been using this method without incident.

BTW, telling apostate9 to go back to read the starter tutorial is kind of pointless. He could probably write one himself :)

Well we all forget things and I did sense he had forgotten something, He does not know I watched his posts and fallow folks around. So a kind reminder usually gets a "Palm Face " reaction. I do it, it's human. Not I know the terminology seems different But it does state esp distinctions. To give you a demonstration, you need a 62kb default.esp of your own making ready. and I will Show you how and where in the NV Gesk step by step to master the file. I know its not in the guide. Do you have such a file ready? and is your NVGECK up and running? BTW, Most of My tools are sdk valve tools for steam and the graphics I work on will put these this game to shame big time. But thats a different engine entirely. So you ready?

Edited by ccmechanic2