.esm or .esp ?? Does anything frigging work?

apostate9

I don't think any of this has anything to do with the OP.

The quest is not going to stop working just because you set the esm flag.

The quest is going to stop working because there are result script errors, and apparently the script engine is more strict in regards to references marked as persistent in an esm than they are in an esp. I just went through someone else's quest mod with this very same problem, with the Geck Powerup enabled, and fixed my copy of it so that it works with the esm bit set.

It appears that without GP, result scripts will save even if referencing objects that don't have the 'persistent' flag set.

So the fix for this problem is to do all your scripting with the power up utility? Use GPU and problem solved?

sorry 462 I thought something looked strange there, Correction (462kb) To (22,491kb) is that more to your liking?

This doesn't change anything; it still gets larger by 22 MB. I don't think I will try the steps you wrote up since it would make my PC unusable for almost a day; but if you are interested to upload the file which you already created with these steps, I am sure many people would be interested to look at it.

The Package

I don't think any of this has anything to do with the OP.

The quest is not going to stop working just because you set the esm flag.

The quest is going to stop working because there are result script errors, and apparently the script engine is more strict in regards to references marked as persistent in an esm than they are in an esp. I just went through someone else's quest mod with this very same problem, with the Geck Powerup enabled, and fixed my copy of it so that it works with the esm bit set.

It appears that without GP, result scripts will save even if referencing objects that don't have the 'persistent' flag set.

So the fix for this problem is to do all your scripting with the power up utility? Use GPU and problem solved?

I'm suggesting that the quest stage and topic result scripts be checked with GPU running because the Geck will let you save a script with errors in these areas. All you have to do is click on each stage and if there is an error it will pop out at you. Same with topic infos.

So if I have 50 quest stages and 400 topics, I have to click on each of these 450 things to see if there is an error. There is no other way to be sure. Is that correct?

FNVEdit doesn't catch it.

But even without GPU, the script won't compile if there is a syntax error, so the script wouldn't work in this case regardless of the esm bit. The only problems i've found so far are like this:

ObjectRef.function, where ObjectRef is not marked as persistent. Without GPU, both info and stage result scripts save without a peep.

Well, I did find one like:

ObjectRef.disable.disable

But clicking on each stage and topic info is the only way I know to be sure that the script is valid.

Actually, just trying it now, without GPU, a regular script will compile and save too, with an object like this.

Hi ccmechanic2, getting a tad confused here as to what you are talking about. Maybe it's just terminology.

When you talk about 'finalizing', are you talking about the navmesh functions?

If not where does this function exist and by what name? I can't find it in the NV Geck.

Do you need edit the ini file to enable these functions? (like with multiple master support)

Mastering must be done with the GECK.

From http://geck.bethsoft...gory:Data_Files

Master files and plugins are largely identical in format, but have some important distinctions in practice. The main practical difference is that GECK will not create master files.

It's this discrepancy that makes me think it's a teminology thing.

What rickerhk is talking about is a non finalized esp that is made into a master. Thus it is missing a whole lot of data to perform the needed operations and functions in the game as a master.

Can you provide an example of this missing data? Myself and others have been using this method without incident.

BTW, telling apostate9 to go back to read the starter tutorial is kind of pointless. He could probably write one himself :)

Well we all forget things and I did sense he had forgotten something, He does not know I watched his posts and fallow folks around. So a kind reminder usually gets a "Palm Face " reaction. I do it, it's human. Not I know the terminology seems different But it does state esp distinctions. To give you a demonstration, you need a 62kb default.esp of your own making ready. and I will Show you how and where in the NV Gesk step by step to master the file. I know its not in the guide. Do you have such a file ready? and is your NVGECK up and running? BTW, Most of My tools are sdk valve tools for steam and the graphics I work on will put these this game to shame big time. But thats a different engine entirely. So you ready?

Yeah, I'm with tunaisafish, I really don't know what you're saying. AFAIK, any .esp with the master bit flipped on becomes a Master. If there is another stage of processing you know about I'd love to hear about it?

Edited by apostate9

Gentilmen: I am about to upload a working example for your viewing Pleasure. Base File is (A) Finalized Base File is (A1) You may load them together only to look at the changes the "Mastering From the GECK Provides" on a completed File. Note Here and Now. This a mastered (esp) Control file. You can not alter any lines of code within this type of esp period. You set this Kind of file to esm Flag, you destroy all the math it provides. you end up off setting it's intended instructions Because the engine treats the esm code much differently. It will take about an hour or more for me to get this up there but you asked for an Example, you get one. This should put this issue to rest. But some how my expectations are some what limited.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/cool.gif