Brightness Dims Dramatically and Colors Fade Before My Eyes

AndriconBoy

As the description says, the brightness fades dramatically to a washed-out, dull, dark tone. I'd say it's about a 20%-30% decrease in color and brightness. It's like that effect where, in some games, brightness lowers after a moment when looking directly at a source of bright light - to simulate your eyes adjusting to the brightness. Except it happens anywhere in my game and the screen never brightens up again under any circumstance. It's as if it's sunset no matter what position the sun is in.

This happens immediately upon loading a game and I can see it happen in the load screen.

If I load a game while one is presently running, it stays dark as long as the game is running uninterrupted.

If I alt+tab out of the game, however, and alt+tab back in, the brightness is at its "normal" level, but then immediately starts to fade again. This phenomenon takes about 18 seconds consistently, every time.

See photos.

This just stared happening today. This occurs whether or not I have mods active, whether or not I have the NMM running. I have also tried prompting the launch screen, then activating mods, then pressing "play."

Help would be most appreciated. I'm getting very frustrated.

GIS has turned up nothing except the lighting issue that was caused by scopes back when the game was released. PS: tried those solutions just in case. Did not work.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Edited by AndriconBoy

Are you using some kind of shader like ENB or SweetFX/ReShade? Try disabling them to see if they're causing problems.

It's usually Shift+F12 for ENB and Scroll Lock for the other two.

Are you using some kind of shader like ENB or SweetFX/ReShade? Try disabling them to see if they're causing problems.

It's usually Shift+F12 for ENB and Scroll Lock for the other two.

I don't know what those are, but toggled the Scroll Lock and "Shift-F12" in game without effect.. I have not installed a new mod in about a month. Here is what I am running.

Better Settlers

Brighter Settlements

Button Lowered Weapons

CBBE

Crafting Workbenches

Dead Body Collision

Deadly Radstorms

Eyewear and Mask Retexture

Fallout 4 Configuration Tool

Fallout 4 Enhanced Color Correction

Fallout Texture Overhaul PipBoy

Fallout Texture Overhaul Stars

Full Dialogue Interface

Higher Settlement Budgets

Improved Map with Visible Roads

keyNuker

Longer Power Lines

Oni CBBE Nude Fitness Retexture

Quieter Settlements

Radiant Clouds and Fogs

Shaikujin's Better Alerts

Simple Intersection

True Storms

Vivid Fallout Landscapes

Vivid Fallout Rocks

Wasteland Creatures Redone

WET [Water Enhancement Textures]

It's to the point where the game is pretty much unplayable. I can barely see anything on ths screen when night rolls around.

I might have to uninstall-reinstall all mods to see if that does it.

Well in that case, it seems like it's an Imagespace Adapter that's gotten stuck somehow (like the rifle scope problem, but from another source).

Is there any way you can record a short video of it using something like FRAPS?

Try disdabling, one at a time, the mods that affect your brightness and color, such as Brighter Settlements and Fallout 4 Enhanced Color Corrections. If one of these isn't the culprit, try Radiant Clouds and Fog, Vivid Fallout Landscapes, Vivid Fallout Rocks, then some of the retexture files. Also, maybe Deadly Rad Storms isn't playing nice with True Storms. Trial and error. Disable these type files one at a time , go back into the game after disabling each one and see what happens. It could be one mod or a combination of mods, it's difficult to say without going through this procedure. My guess is it's a combination. Then again, your video card could just be screwing with you - does this type of thing happen in other games/programs?

Try using this file I typed up.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9852/?

Place it in your main Fallout 4 folder - where Fallout4.exe is located - then load your save file and open the console.

Type: bat imod

And see if that gets rid of your onscreen effect.

Sorry for the late response. Life has been busy... and poopy.

It didn't work. OK, I'm dumb, so I'm sure I did this incorrectly, but here's what I did.

I downloaded your file.

In regards to Fallout 4, I have two such folders as indicated in your instructions: 1) in "Documents>My Games>Fallout 4", 2) in "Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>Fallout 4>Fallout4"

I attempted the following steps in both folders.

I extracted your file to my Fallout 4 folder - the one which contains my Fallout4Prefs text doc.

I did NOT: cut/paste the text into any document.

I did NOT: create any new documents with your imod file.

I DID literally just extract the text document to the folders you indicated.

I then went to the NMM, opened it, and prompted the game to start.

I loaded my game.

I opened the console.

I entered "bat imod" and pressed [enter]

When it did not work in one folder, I attempted the other.

If I am doing something terribly wrong, or misunderstanding your instructions, I apologize.

If I did everything correctly, then there's something much more wrong than a stuck command line (or whatever you smart modder types call it).

At this point, I'm just going to uninstall all mods and then reinstall them, as I'm not sure what else to do.

However, since I have your attention, if the problem persists after that, should I wipe and re-install?

Thanks again!

The folder you put the file in is

"Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>Fallout 4"

It should be the same folder that has Fallout 4.exe and Fallout4Launcher.exe. Just dump the .txt file there.

When you're in-game and you type "bat imod" into the console, you should see a bunch of "rimod" commands appear in the console, like this:

rimod 00000162;
rimod 00000164;
rimod 00000166;
rimod 0001928B;
rimod 0001ED7C;
rimod 0001ED7D;
rimod 0001F5AD;
rimod 0001F60F;
rimod 00021184;
rimod 0002119C;
rimod 0002458E;

If you see that, the file launched the commands properly.

Make sure you're typing it without the quotations. Just bat imod.

Edited by ma1025

The folder you put the file in is

"Program Files (x86)>Steam>steamapps>common>Fallout 4"

It should be the same folder that has Fallout 4.exe and Fallout4Launcher.exe. Just dump the .txt file there.

When you're in-game and you type "bat imod" into the console, you should see a bunch of "rimod" commands appear in the console, like this:

rimod 00000162;
rimod 00000164;
rimod 00000166;
rimod 0001928B;
rimod 0001ED7C;
rimod 0001ED7D;
rimod 0001F5AD;
rimod 0001F60F;
rimod 00021184;
rimod 0002119C;
rimod 0002458E;

If you see that, the file launched the commands properly.

Make sure you're typing it without the quotations. Just bat imod.

I'll try this again. Just so I'm certain, I should simply paste/unzip the text file into this folder, right? I should NOT paste the information in the text file into the .ini file.

In the time since I last replied, I uninstalled all mods, and then reinstalled them, but the problem persists.

Edited by AndriconBoy