Terminal and Pip Boy are extremely illegible

miscanadian

So the first time I ran Fallout 4 yesterday, the game was perfectly fine aside from having to turn the contoller option off to use the keyboard. I installed 20 ish mods which all worked perfectly fine, ENBSeries etc. Then I updated my AMD driver from 16.1 to 16.1.1 and then this:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622747260

completely illegible, my pip boy is in the exact same state, but the app works so that's nice. BUT i cant read any terminals anymore meaning I cant hack AT ALL or comprehend what I just hacked if I use the unlock command.

I've tried many many things.

roll back the driver, nope

uninstall mods, nope

change intel HD and AMD settings, nope

change game setting, nope

get rid of ENBSeries, nope

FULL REINSTALL, nope (waste of 4 hours)

run in windowed mode, nope

run in very small windowed mode, nope

successfully validated my game files, no problems there

turn computer on and off, nope

make a new save, nope

WHY, what happened. I can't begin to understand why this is even a problem. It's like the developers made the terminals and pip boy interface a texture that is the size of a thumb nail stretched to fit a 1360 by 700 pixel screen

I've exhausted my time and patience trying to troubleshoot, I have no idea how to approach this problem anymore

Windows 8.1

AMD R7 M265

intel Core i5-4200U

AMD driver 16.1.1

It's the AMD, try different drivers.

I've tried rolling back to 16.1.1 and it didn't work even though the game was perfectly fine before this randomly happened

The only thing that does work is making the pip boy height and width in the ini files to 3000 ish rather than 700 which is default. and yes I've tried deleting the ini files which also didnt work

Edited by miscanadian

Try if the following fixes the issue. First disable any mod, ENB or similar while testing.

Then rename, if existing:

\Fallout 4\data\textures to \Fallout 4\data\texturesBAK

\Fallout 4\data\materials to \Fallout 4\data\materialsBAK

\Fallout 4\data\interface to \Fallout 4\data\interfaceBAK

If it fixes the issue, you have some custom texture/material mod or interface mod file and you will have to hunt it down. It could also be something in \meshes but in that case, renaming the folder would probably lead to CTD as soon as the game tries to load it.

In case you have any custom *.ba2 in \Fallout 4\data (*.ba2 files starting with "Fallout4 - " are vanilla), remove it.

And regarding drivers: it could also be some driver setting that got carried over even when reverting to an older version. Try a full uninstall of the drivers and maybe even look for a cleaning tool or similar from AMD. Reboot and then install the latest stable retail driver and if asked, let it revert to default settings and see if that helps.

Edited by wax2k

Try if the following fixes the issue.

Rename, if existing:

\Fallout 4\data\textures to \Fallout 4\data\texturesBAK

\Fallout 4\data\materials to \Fallout 4\data\materialsBAK

\Fallout 4\data\interface to \Fallout 4\data\interfaceBAK

If it does, you have some custom texture/material mod or interface mod file and you will have to hunt it down.

In case you have any custom *.ba2 in \Fallout 4\data (*.ba2 files starting with "Fallout4 - " are vanilla), remove it.

And regarding drivers: it could also be some driver setting that got carried over even when reverting to an older version. Try a full uninstall of the drivers and maybe even look for a cleaning tool or similar from AMD. Reboot and then install the latest stable retail driver and if asked, let it revert to default settings and see if that helps.

As far as I can tell there are no custom .ba2 files. I tried renaming the Interface to InterfaceBAK first and then I also renamed the textures folder, what is that supposed to do? I assumed the game would try to redownload the folder or something but nothing changed?

Edit: oh are those the mods? renaming the folders also didnt change it anyway

When I go to device manager it says that my driver is 15 rather than 16.1.1, I updated the driver using AMD's updater, is this normal?

I updated my driver through the control panel and now it's ver 13????????

Edited by miscanadian

Those folders hold the custom assets of mods, yes. And by renaming them, you make sure that none of them are actually used in the game, even if it's only replacers without additional .esm/.esp files.

I don't have an AMD card so I don't know details about their drivers unfortunately. That's why I came up with the more general advice to completely uninstall it and clean up any leftovers preferrably with an official cleanup tool if there is any.

Those folders hold the custom assets of mods, yes. And by renaming them, you make sure that none of them are actually used in the game, even if it's only replacers without additional .esm/.esp files.

I don't have an AMD card so I don't know details about their drivers unfortunately. That's why I came up with the more general advice to completely uninstall it and clean up any leftovers preferrably with an official cleanup tool if there is any.

I went and updated it to 16.1.1 gain although my computer still says 15 but 16.1.1 is a hot fix aparently, On the AMD site I only see the options for 15 and 16.1.1 not 16.1 for some reason

It seems 16.1.1 is just a newer version of the hotfix for 16.1

Edited by miscanadian