Corrupted Saves

Sypron

Yes, this is good for teaching a method for dealing with corrupted saves, but has anyone determined just how saves get corrupted? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'm right now at a point my saves are getting corrupted when I am near/in Fallen Rock Cave doing that part of the Fighters Guild Quest. I've backups, so no worry. But every time I go to save there boom...a corrupted save.

The best way is for us to record/compile just when these occur and perhaps better heads than mine can figure out what's wrong and ways for us to prevent it.

ALL saves are corrupted when I save near it. I even used the ~save command and it got corrupted. My saves before it? work fine, and I can save it.

Funny thing...I'm playing with a LOT of mods and it's only in Vanilla Oblivion quests where I've had this trouble. I had these before I even knew there WERE Oblivion mods.

I've had this before btw. Usually I'll just fiddle with all my saves after making a backup and delete all corrupted, autosaves, and quicksaves. By fiddling, I'll repair abomb, remove bloat,etc. And eventually it starts working again. Not so this time.

I'm just not going to save near there. But that's at least 1 problem location we can mention.

Oh, Brina Cross Inn is another. Saves got corrupted there too, until I went back later and redid the mages guild requirement again on a different day and no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowhaven also makes my saves corrupted. Vilverin too. And Atatar. :wallbash:

Wasn't like this without mods.. does the usage of mods make corrupted saves?

Reducing the number om mods I play made the game stop crashing and stopped my saves from being corrupted totally.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is relevant, it's certainly not a cure by any stretch of the imagination, but I had a corrupted game recently which I solved in the weirdest of ways. I even reloaded and checked that it wasn't just a fluke. I'm posting as (IMHO) collective glimmers of light often shine a whole ray.

As I was leaving Kvatch, with Martin, I experienced a CTD. Hmmm ... then, when I took the easy option (Tele Straight to Weynon Priory) I .. erm ... experienced a crash to desktop.

I decided it must be one of the items I'd pilfered from the castle not wanting to change cell. The reasoning behind this was from a previous experience when taking all the books from the Bravil Mages Guild and triggering a CTD as I left with my free samples. First I dropped all the books on the floor and departed on foot and then by teleportation. No CTD. Repeated this excersise with .... To cut a long story of epic logical duration short, it was a silver goblet causing my CTD. I determined that it is not the weight you carry that causes this particular CTD problem but, indeed, the number of items you are carrying. I'm convinced there is some limiting factor (number of strings available) that makes the game engine splutter, baulk and die in much the same way as items continue to dissappear and reappear in my numerous chests spread throughout Cyrodiil. Good luck all.

• 2 months later...

I have renamed files that are .bak, returning them to .ess.

But now I am being inundated with the following:

autosave.bak

autosave.ess

autosave.obse

autosave.obse.bak

quicksave.bak

quicksave.ess

quicksave.obse

quicksave.obse.bak

I am at a total loss. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome!

• 4 weeks later...

My Main save is corrupt, all this thread talks about is quick and auto saves. I saved my game turned off oblivion then later my sister went to play (so both auto and quick saves are useless) all I got is my one main save. In Wrye Bash I left click on it and select statistics and this is exactly what is says:

Traceback (most recent call last)

File CProgram FilesBethesda SoftworksOblivionMopybasher.py, line 7518, in Execute

saveFile.logStats(log)

File CProgram FilesBethesda SoftworksOblivionMopybosh.py, line 5168, in logStats

if iref 24 != 255 and formids[iref] == 0

IndexError array index out of range

Does anybody know what this means? If anyone can help that would be awesome. I finished the main quest the Shivering Ilse quest and many many others I really don't want to start again, well if I could get the face back I would probably restart, I tried in Wrye Bash but is says something about... well I don't know but it doesn't work, and it does with any other save.

I'm most likely having the corrupted save problem on my ps3, not on pc. I used to think it was the disk, until I read this. I've had freeze problems on the loading screens for all my... well loads. I can load my save but once I leave the place in SI where I find my alter-ego replica type, the first door with a loading screen I walk to freezes about 3/4 through the load. same thing happens with other doors in this place when I load my autosave in which I managed to get out of the previous chamber. So I am stuck in this place forever... but from what I read I'm assuming it's the monumental amount of objects in my encumberence not being able to cell change, if it's not the disk itself (which isn't scratched). If anyone has any feedback on this, much help is preferred it's been doing this on previous occasions with my SI disk for PS3 for quite a while now.

• 3 months later...

I wonder what makes the saves from those people corrupted.

Maybe the game is overloaded with memory nad when try to save it does not compile the save well?

I've never got a corrupted save, just once, but it was from a mod that changes weather, then i simply installed the mod again cleared the weather and saved, and all came okay.

Maybe a mod that "clear" the memory often is a good way? Like "Streamline"..

I DO use it, and also, when I open the console to do something or start noticing lag in the game i use the PCB command,

then CTRL+DEL (Makes a purge of unused memory [part of Streamline]).

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to ad that i had my first corrupt save and it was in crowhaven as well, i noticed that i start to get corrupted saves right after a particular battle with an altmer vampire, after i defeat it, and i save, the game crashes. If i save in the same cell prior to the battle, no crashes..

• 1 month later...
Sypron, I thank you with all my heart. Once again your method has saved me in Telepe. I don't think this is a faulty place, though, the problem came most likely because I did something stupid with the console. Still, just to mention, Telepe.

• 1 month later...

I CTD whenever I save. This causes corrupted saves.

Obviously the bigger concern is why I'm CTD'ing when I save the game. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Starting a new game, the problem is gone, but I can't solve it with my current game.

I'm going to see if Streamline's streamsave does it, but I assume it will.

I'm going back through my old saves (hours back) to see if I can load one of those and if that saves okay from there, but so far, it doesn't.

Ugh. :(

If all I got was a corrupted save once in a while, I'd be okay with that. :) But CTD every time I try to save? That's a dealbreaker.