Corrupted Saves

Sypron

I started getting corrupted saves in Swampy Cave. It made no difference whether they were quicksaves, regular saves, or autosaves: I would save, get a CTD, and then upon loading if I tried to load the last save it would say it was corrupted. The only way I got out of the cave was by going back to before I entered it. The worst part of it is that now I get CTDs and corrupted saves about half the time wherever I am. I see that this thread has a lot of people describing the problem but not much in the way of answers. I really hope someone can come along with a way to either repair the saves or prevent the problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed all of the most recent ones as well as some that had been working together well for a long time but nothing changed. I could post my load order if anyone is interested but whenever I've posted it in the past I just get a general guideline in response that doesn't help a whole lot. Suffice to say for the moment that I've used OBMM and BOSS and my load order seemed to be right but I'm suddenly plagued with these corrupted saves/CTDs. I'm on the point of wiping the installation and starting from scratch (Level 46 and umpteen hundred hours into the game...Arrggh.)

• 4 months later...
I removed all of the most recent ones as well as some that had been working together well for a long time but nothing changed. I could post my load order if anyone is interested but whenever I've posted it in the past I just get a general guideline in response that doesn't help a whole lot. Suffice to say for the moment that I've used OBMM and BOSS and my load order seemed to be right but I'm suddenly plagued with these corrupted saves/CTDs. I'm on the point of wiping the installation and starting from scratch (Level 46 and umpteen hundred hours into the game...Arrggh.)

I hear you on That one, I'm at 45 and I can go back a few saves then maybe play 1/2 hour before it dies... (saves corrupt and or CTD)

Hear, hear. Happens to me occasionally too. Gundulas' store in Leyawiin, for instance, I can't even enter anymore. If I save or exit, I get a CTD and a corrupted save for the price of one. Happened again when I exited the first Oblivion gate outside Kvatch and saved. So now, I'm creating backups like a madman, just in case I bumble into another cursed cell/action.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I Don't know if this is technically a corrupted file problem, but you guys seem to be the experts on recovering games. So, I had several mods and such, and I keep to save games, but I usually save at the same time. So I saved both games, and later I downloaded a ton of mods and tried playing. Well, it wouldn't load. Like, I'd choose my character and it just would stop loading on the bar, either almost all or halfway through or just at the beginning. So, I turned off all the new mods, but it still did that. SO I turned off all mods except Knights, Oblivion (of course) and Shivering Isles, and loaded one of my saves. Of course it said some of the stuff I was using was now gone, but I loaded anyway, and it worked. SO I saved outside of where I was, and tried adding one mod on, and boom whole thing doesn't load again. I thought it was just that, but now it seems like any mod! And this only affects one of my characters. Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I Don't know if this is technically a corrupted file problem, but you guys seem to be the experts on recovering games. So, I had several mods and such, and I keep to save games, but I usually save at the same time. So I saved both games, and later I downloaded a ton of mods and tried playing. Well, it wouldn't load. Like, I'd choose my character and it just would stop loading on the bar, either almost all or halfway through or just at the beginning. So, I turned off all the new mods, but it still did that. SO I turned off all mods except Knights, Oblivion (of course) and Shivering Isles, and loaded one of my saves. Of course it said some of the stuff I was using was now gone, but I loaded anyway, and it worked. SO I saved outside of where I was, and tried adding one mod on, and boom whole thing doesn't load again. I thought it was just that, but now it seems like any mod! And this only affects one of my characters. Help!

Crash on load usually indicates a missing master, another plugin some plugin depends on is not installed. If your game is hanging during loading, and you have installed a UI mod such as DarN, you need to make sure that you edited your Oblivion.ini with the font changes. A load order would be helpful troubleshooting this issue, as well as the mod(s) that you cannot load. Please post the smallest LO that does not load.

Edit: Corrupt saves, especially many hours into the game, can definitely be caused by the use of Oblivion's autosaves and quicksaves. Use manual saves, or download and use Streamline's equivalent functions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've experienced a similar problem (I believe), my quicksaved game in anvil near benirus manor refuses to load and the game crashes when the loading bar has gone through ~50-60% most of the time. I tried turning off ALL mods, deleting the .ess and changing .bak to .ess but it still crashes.. (bak was a bit closer to the gates but no luck there either)

What am I supposed to do now..? I honestly don't know what to do and my previous save was like 5 hours ago. The character is relatively new, playing with (and created while having) patch 1.2.416 or w/e the newest one's called, the one that's supposed to have the memory fix (I have that one*) .. Playing time is regardless, 36 hours. Please help me if you can! A bit hard to offer a reward here but a good deed's a good deed I guess :)

My mod loading list is as follows:

00 Oblivion.esm

01 CM Partners.esm

02 Better Cities Resources.esm

03 Nicos Gift.esp

04 KT_CustomRaceFix.esp

05 Border Removal.esp

06 Deadlier Sneaking.esp

07 Darkgreen Glass Armour.esp

08 Gray Cowl of Nocturnal fix.esp

09 DLCHorseArmor.esp

0A Marksman Velocity.esp

0B DLCOrrery.esp

0C 300_Akaviri_Stronghold.esp

0D DLCFrostcrag.esp

0E LightWeapons.esp

0F _Ren_BeautyPack_full.esp

10 HouseMapMarkers.esp

11 DLCThievesDen.esp

12 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

13 DLCVileLair.esp

14 Advanced Magic.esp

15 XulEntiusGorge.esp

16 MaleBodyReplacerV3.esp

17 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

18 Septim Mansion.esp

19 Dreadweave Complete_Heavy.esp

1A Dreadweave Complete_Light.esp

1B ForecastersWill.esp

1C RenGuardOverhaulShiveringIsles.esp

----> Delinquent MASTER: RenGuardOverhaul.esp

1D TFF_FantasyFigures_Base.esp

1E Wayshrines in the University.esp

1F RenGuardOverhaul.esp

20 SilverwareWeapons.esp

21 AlchemistsCave.esp

22 Streamline 3.1.esp

23 Ancient Silver Armor.esp

24 Dangerous Waters.esp

25 Nicoroshi Creations DW Light.esp

26 RTT.esp

27 EiAmod.esp

28 WOTFH_1.3.esp

29 HeartOftheDead.esp

2A The Blood Court.esp

2B DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

2C New Frostmourne Sword by Jojjo v1_0.esp

2D Lich King's Helm v1_0.esp

2E Akatosh Mount By Saiden Storm.esp

2F Shadowcrest_Vineyard.esp

30 HoarfrostCastle.esp

31 MidasSpells.esp

32 VaultsofCyrodiilBC.esp

33 Better Cities - Full City Defences.esp

34 Scribe Supplies.esp

35 Thorlak Island.esp

36 Better Cities Full.esp

37 Better Imperial City.esp

38 Better Cities - Ruined Tail's Tale.esp

39 Better Cities Full FPS Patch.esp

3A Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp

3B Better Cities - VWD of the IC.esp

3C Better Cities - No LEYAWIIN Flooding.esp

3D Better Cities .esp

3E NexonsArmoryENG.esp

3F no_sun_damage_vampires1.esp

40 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Well, it wouldn't load. Like, I'd choose my character and it just would stop loading on the bar, either almost all or halfway through or just at the beginning. So, I turned off all the new mods, but it still did that. SO I turned off all mods except Knights, Oblivion (of course) and Shivering Isles, and loaded one of my saves. Of course it said some of the stuff I was using was now gone, but I loaded anyway, and it worked. SO I saved outside of where I was, and tried adding one mod on, and boom whole thing doesn't load again.

Is the one character that this happens to a low level or higher level character (i.e. have you been playing it for a longer period of time than the other characters)? Did you play the other characters (that still work) with the "ton of mods" that you installed for this one?

I have seen the loading bar hang up because the system was running out of memory. In that case, if I left it alone to chug away, it would eventually load the game. Would your game make further progress loading if you allowed it to keep going for 15 minutes or more? What is the size of your save game compared to the characters that do not have the problem? Have you tried using Wrye Bash on your save file to check for/remove save game bloating? Which single mod was it that you added on to a working game that caused it to not work again?