Corrupted Saves

Sypron

the odd thing about the save files i've had corrupted, were only those that were auto saving as the game froze. soooo not sure autosave is the saving grace one might think.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I enjoy modding oblivion a LOT. Anyways long story short, I was restoring my old files to start anew with my mods and everything went perfectly except for the fact that every time an autosave occurs, or I save it, it is always corrupt. I've tried renaming the BAK file in the save folder, etc. but nothing works... :( Please help! :P

Edit: Ok, so another idea might be that you could upload your save files, so I could put them in my folder, and it would replace the bad ones. Also, I don't even think I have the right save files in my obse "folder for your current file" thingamajig... AGH... :wallbash:

• 2 months later...

I think I may have found something?

While I played fallout 3 for 1600+ hours on one account, I only have 560 on oblivion. I play FO3 on the 360, and I play Oblivion on the PC. I started getting corrupted saves for oblivion as of late, but I never got them for FO3. I noticed that I deleted old saves allot on Fallout 3, but didn't so much on oblivion. So I cut/pasted most all of my oblivion saves out of the saves folder, after making a new save, then deleted the streemsaves. And so far all my new saves are fine, but you have to start from an uncorrupted point.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a "reload" problem. After the launch up of the game, i can load all my saves without a problem but when i want to reload them during game they do not reload and game crashes. Is it something related with corrupted saves or do i have a different problem.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to mention that the popular Keychain mod, if used for long enough, starts crashing the game on save, giving the semblance of a corrupt save. Rolling back a few hours seems to "fix" it, but the crashes on save return after a while.

If you're getting CTD's upon saving, resulting in a small save file that won't load, try removing the keychain mod. It has worked for me and others so it's worth a try.

The original discussion was at this thread: http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18522

I had a similar problem, except that it turned out that it was not the save that was corrupted, but the game installation itself that was hosed:

My game would CTD frequently, and then when I'd try to load the previous normal save, it would CTD again. It got so bad that I couldn't even get as far as the main menu. The game simply would not start. I don't use quicksave BTW, so that wasn't an issue. I tried using the Wrye Bash remove bloat tool, but it didn't find any problems with the saves. So, after having spent countless hours playing, I resigned myself to doing a complete uninstall & reinstall of the game, including mods, and starting over again from the beginning.

After the reinstall, I was able to start a new game without any problems, and played for a while. But I was not enjoying repeating everything again. so decided to try loading one of my original game saves (figured it was a long shot, but that it wouldn't hurt anything). Amazingly it worked fine. I initially loaded a fairly old save, and when that worked started trying more recent ones. I eventually tried loading the last save that I thought was corrupted, and it also worked fine. Most of the problems I had been encountering completely disappeared, and the rest have been mostly resolved by removing a few mods. So, apparently, it was not the save that was corrupted, but the game installation itself that got hosed on one of the CTDs.

I have noticed that I need to be very careful when changing cells to make sure that the autosave has finished before I attempt to do anything at all (move, open inventory, interact with an NPC, etc) as that seems to induce CTDs. I also noticed early in my first game that opening the inventory while underwater was a guaranteed CTD, so I've been avoiding doing that.

• 1 month later...

I haven't played Oblivion in years so I loaded it back up with a bunch of mods.

Anyways, after a long process of getting the game ready, I was able to play for about 4 hours straight with no problems whatsoever. I then went into the IC "Elegant" something store, saw I couldn't afford anything, then went to leave the shop. While the game was still loading to bring me outside again, the game game freezes and CTD. Before this, I've been ducking in and out of the outdoors, Imperial City, and 2 dungeons in different times of the day with no problems.

I loaded the game up and to reload the autosave from entering the store. Freeze & CTD on loading screen.

I loaded the Quicksave from roughly 1 hour before. Freeze & CTD on loading screen.

I loaded the only normal save game I had from 3 hours before. Freeze & CTD on loading screen.

I try the OP's suggestion but the exact same problems persist with all 3 save games.

Now, I've played lots of FO3 & FONV which uses the same engine basically as Oblivion (meaning they're all about as stable as a drunk gymnast on a balance beam). I've had a corrupted save or two in FO3 & FONV, but never all the saves. Is there anything that can be done or is my game hosed for good?

Edit to add: My game is the Steam version, BTW. I made it "Do not automatically update this game"

Edit to add again: Okay, I tried to start a New game but clicking past the movie that leads to the prison causes a CTD. I'm pretty screwed here.

Edited by Warmaker01

• 3 months later...

I run a pretty heavily modded game (301, 80 of which are merged in my Bashed patch), and don't have a very large hard disk. I started saving *very* frequently (every 3-5 minutes) in order to reduce the progress I lose due to crashes, and eventually noticed that it was taking a long time for the load and save windows to appear. So, I deleted all but my two most recent saves. Also, to clear my computer's memory, I started rebooting after every other crash. The combination of these three seems to have improved my game's stability. I use Operation Optimization, Stutter Remover, and weOCPS, but not Streamline.

So,

1.) Save ultra-frequently (every 5 minutes),

2.) Delete old saves regularly, and

3.) Reboot to clear system memory after every 2-3 crashes.

Another little trick I use is to save on both sides of a loading door, assuming it's the first time I've gone through that door. The save outside the door is so that if the game crashes while loading, I can get right back to where I was without delay. The save inside the door is so that if the game crashes *after* I've entered the cell, I don't have to reload from outside, which will generate different NPCs and items than what I had encountered before.

Anyway, hope someone finds some part of my rambling helpful!