Corrupted Saves

Sypron

Try the "coc center wait 3 days" trick.

Open the console using the tilde (~) key found below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type "coc center" (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You'll be transported to an open plain with some trees in the distance. Using the game's Wait menu (opened by default with the t key) wait for a full three days plus a bit for good measure (that's 72 hours plus a couple). Open the console again and "coc weye" (again no quote marks). You'll be transported to inside the fisherman's shack at Weye, just outside of the Imperial City.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

For me it was the key chain mod... A freakin key chain mod... Caused me hours of grief, and over 100 hours of game play time. Removed it and no more corrupted saves. I'm now back to my play through, and haven't had a problem since. Must of picked up a key the mod didn't like, or something.

PS: After removing the mod, some or my wonky companion behavior (like Red Sonia ignoring her weapons, and using her fists in battle) was also fixed.

I just don't know....

• 1 year later...

Now I'm not taking credit for this, I read it on another forum, but I think the word should be spread. Whilst I was running around collecting aid for bruma I got a game crash. Nothing serious, it happens all the time. So I went to load my game back up but suddenly it was corrupted. The last save I had was from about 3 quests ago, so I didn't want that. I did however find an easy solution on how to uncorrupt the game.

-Go to My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves

-Make a backup (copy to another folder) of the file quicksave.ess or autosave.ess, depending on which one you want fixed.

-Delete the quicksave/autosave.ess from the saves folder.

-Go to "Tools" > "Folder Options"

-Click the "View" tab

-Near the top of the list, UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

-Hit "OK"

-Find the quicksave/autosave.bak file (same directory)

-Rename it to a .ess type file. ex: quicksave.bak >>> quicksave.ess

-Windows will prompt you "Unstable blah blah blah" hit yes.

Now go ingame and test it. If it works than viola problem solved. If it doesn't then use the backup to restore your ess (just incase) and look for another solution.

You are the best!Thank you very much dude!

• 5 months later...

Here is one thing you can try if you keep getting CTD when saving with the resulting save being corrupted. Go to one of you houses, choose a safe container and dump all your keys in it. If you can save safely afterwards you know one of the keys you had in your inventory was causing problems.

• 1 month later...

I am running into an odd issue. I'm playing vanilla oblivion, with just unoffical patches and osbe. I can create a character and start playing. Save and exit. Sometimes when I come back to load the save, it works. Sometimes it crashes, it will usually load and I can play for 2 seconds before ctd. I've discovered if I find a previous save that will load, I can then load onto my current most recent save that originally ctd. To me, this doesn't seem like a corrupted safe file issue. I awhile ago I read, and can't find it anywhere, but it might be related to transitioning between areas. Because the only saves that wouldn't load were part of the second section of the intro. The only saves that did work were those of the first part of the jail. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This is the bug I am experiencing

• Saving outside while taking sun damage then reloading will cause the game to crash and the save can no longer be used.

I just want to know if theres any way I can bypass the vamprism sunlight ctd or is there a mod that can fix/overwrite it?

Unfortunately, I was not able to manually save.

thanks.

• 1 month later...

Now I'm not taking credit for this, I read it on another forum, but I think the word should be spread. Whilst I was running around collecting aid for bruma I got a game crash. Nothing serious, it happens all the time. So I went to load my game back up but suddenly it was corrupted. The last save I had was from about 3 quests ago, so I didn't want that. I did however find an easy solution on how to uncorrupt the game.

-Go to My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves

-Make a backup (copy to another folder) of the file quicksave.ess or autosave.ess, depending on which one you want fixed.

-Delete the quicksave/autosave.ess from the saves folder.

-Go to "Tools" > "Folder Options"

-Click the "View" tab

-Near the top of the list, UNcheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

-Hit "OK"

-Find the quicksave/autosave.bak file (same directory)

-Rename it to a .ess type file. ex: quicksave.bak >>> quicksave.ess

-Windows will prompt you "Unstable blah blah blah" hit yes.

Now go ingame and test it. If it works than viola problem solved. If it doesn't then use the backup to restore your ess (just incase) and look for another solution.

I tried doing that but it only made things worse. i can't even save now. i was doing a dlc quest and now i can't even seem to save. every time i save, i only make that save corrupted

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I don't know if it's still relevant, but I think I have found the reason for this bug (or at least one possible reason that causes it). I forced Oblivion to an unusual resolution to get rid of unproper stretching while playing it in VR (I use my own concoction to play in VR: TriDef for stereoscopics, Kinoni Streamer or TrinusVR to stream it on my Smartphone (Android Phone) and if I use the Kinoni Streamer I additionally implement ReShade for a Barrel-Lens-Distortion). When I try to quicksave, autosave, console save or menu-save while using this unusual resolution, the game crashes (CDT). Always. If I use standard resolutions like 800x600, 1280x720, 1920x1080 the game saves perfectly fine. I tested it now several times, it only happens with resolutions that are not native to the game (even ingame resolutions like 720x576 may cause this bug while in window mode). I forced Oblivion to this unusal resolution by changing the corresponding values in the Oblivion.ini (to be found in mydocuments/games/oblivion/oblivion.ini; the resolution values are located under the "display" section). It actually worked as I hoped it would in VR, unfortunately I can not save or load anything in this resolution, so I guess I have to find another way to solve the stretching problem in VR.

So it's probably the resolution of your game that causes the save-crash (either by accident or on purpose via an installed mod). I suspect the resolution gets saved along the character stats and creates a conflict with your currently running game and crashes (that's probably the reason why even a successful saved game causes a crash when loaded back up - if the loaded resolution creates a conflict with the resolution that your game-session currently runs with). So better make sure not using any mods that meddle with the resolution (including graphical overhauls). I suggest to keep the game resolution at standard values (ingame values provided via the launcher).

Speculation: It is possible that the resolution save-crash issue isn't the only reason that triggers the quicksave CDT bug. It could very well be the case that any form of conflicting information (like RGB values, Chroma/Luma (Gamma) values, postprocessing effects, etc.), of which the base game is in conflict with, causes this bug. But the resolution problem described above reliably produces said quicksave CDT bug (without exception) that you guys experience as well.

• 5 years later...

I am having an Issue with save games... if I die and/or quit certain ways ALL my save games don't work right... when I load up my last save my character can't move... all I can do is open inventory and talk to my companion... but I can't move or attack or anything else I'm stuck for some reason... and all my save games going back to the jail cell with the emperor has the same problem....

If I start a new game I get control back and can seem to save and load normally but at a certain point every save for my character will become unusable