proposed sticky thread: modding resources

davidlallen

This is a master list of all the resources I have found useful for modding XCOM2, which is continually updated. Please PM me if you have additional suggestions.

Entry level resources

Simple changes to ini files for local use (not in a mod)
Setting up the SDK

Be sure to also read the quick start guide, in ...\steamapps\common\XCOM 2 SDK\Documentation\XCOM2 SDK QuickStart.pdf

Intermediate level resources - nongraphics

Unrealscript extension for modbuddy

General orientation to the sdk and searching
Overview of ini file content

Setting up a new class
I found the rifleman mod at steam workshop to be an effective example to learn from.

Map design
Changing the rate of enemy progression
Location of predefined macros in uc scripts
How stat values are used
How to add aliens to the armory
List of all soldier abilities

Discussion: templates vs classes (Wall Of Text warning)

How to add tags to Workshop mods

Three part ability tutorial (New April 17)

Intermediate level resources- graphics and voice

Prop modding
Adding graphics such as icons

Adding a voice pack
Video: Adding a voice pack

How to use Blender

When to delete or rebuild ModShaderCache

Adding custom icons for props

Advanced level resources

General introduction to UE3 engine
Unreal wiki
Using GameStates

Garbage collection when using GameStates
Template Modification Without ScreenListeners
Adding new map overlay types
Modding native classes and core packages

Edited by davidlallen

Indeed!

A request for a resource to be made might be a general format guide for players to use to be as helpful as possible in describing their issue for help. (I know this because I am having an issue with my own mod, but I am clueless what information someone might need to help me, nor how to get that information. I just know my mod is not functioning after following one of the above.)

These are only useful if the OP is dedicated enough, but when they move on they quickly become outdated and need replacing.

Using the Nexus Wiki to allow anyone to contribute, would be better than any Forum thread, stickied or not.

The Nexus Wiki is rarely used for most Nexus Games and I don't know why.

It's the best way to provide the communal mod info we need.

Properly organizing and "defending" a wiki is a lot more work than editing one post in a thread. I am happy to stick around (as you see from my join date) and update a thread. The upside of wikis is that anybody can change them. The downside of wikis is that ... anybody can change them.

Bump, back to first page. I have PM'd moderators and posted on the announcement thread, to try to get this stickied. If anybody has suggestions for how to summon a moderator, please let me know.

SirSalami; http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/user/6499047-sirsalami/

It's true the wiki takes a lot of work to maintain, but it's so much nicer to have a single fairly focused source of information. We had the incredible good fortune of having a resident librarian (DubiousIntent) in EW who curated a lot of the wiki and even pulled info out of threads into new wiki pages. The threads would often get out of hand (30+ pages of rambling posts on experimentation, failures, partial successes, new ideas and off topic side conversations) where trying to find the important bits again later gets really hard.