Heavy Traffic ×

Karma System (might only be possible with CK)

The10thJinchuuriki

So, first, I'd like to point out, this idea I have might be only possible when the CK is released, due to new features, perks, and other various things that might be extremely difficult (or impossible) with FO4Edit. With that being said, I would like to share my idea with anyone willing to work on this mod when the CK is release. And when it comes to credit, it would be nice if you mentioned that I had the idea, though I just would like for a Karma system to be added to the game moreso than my own personal narcissism lol.

As we all know, there's not really a Karma system in place, except for Companions (which I honestly like). And lately, I've been thinking of how Karma could be implemented into Fallout 4 the way the game currently is, and I think I've come up with something that could work fairly well. The first thing would be to add a Karma tracker, located somewhere in the Stats section (or perhaps have its own tab in the Stats section). The tracker would start off at 0 (neutral), and whenever the player does or says something with good intentions, they'll gain positive karma, causing the karma tracker to go positive. Vise Versa for whenever the player does or says something immoral, they'll lose points, and eventually go on the negative side of the tracker.

Gaining Karma would be effected whenever the player successfully persuades someone using something inspiring, sympathetic, or overall helpful, killing legendary bad guys, helping settlements, and so on. Losing Karma, obviously, would be the opposite, in the sense of persuading people by being harsh or mean, talking people into giving you more caps for something, killing innocent people, and so on. Joining a certain faction won't effect anything with your Karma, considering all factions could be argued as good or evil, so it comes down to your personal preference. But, once you officially join a faction, anything good or bad towards that faction will cause you to gain or lose Karma.

Now, what exactly does gaining and loosing Karma do? Well, unlike the previous games where it could effect how the overall world sees you, it would be more focused on how your character plays through the world. Each time you reach a Karma milestone (every 10 points in either direction, possibly?), you'll gain a perk (and lose a perk if you go below the requirements of that perk), and get a bonus (and debuffs) in stats. Here are some quick ideas of how each side of Karma can benefit you (these aren't the effects you'll get in order, just random ideas):

Positive Karma:

-Increase in Charisma, making persuasion dialogues easier in a nice way, but mean persuasions (including the demand for more caps) becomes more difficult.

-Bartering is cheaper to buy, and you get more caps from selling

-companions can take more damage before falling in combat (debuff - raiders can also take more damage, OR perhaps appear in greater numbers, but not both)

-you can have more companions follow you (I am aware there's already a mod for that, so this perk might be obsolete)

-have people give you some materials for free when you speak with them (random civilians)

-possibly something to do with Settlements, like increase in population size, or stronger settlers (again, I know there are mods for this, this is just an idea)

Negative Karma:

-Raiders will sometimes tend to ignore you (you're harder to be spotted by them)

-Easier to persuade people in a mean way (including the demand for more caps), but makes it harder to persuade in a nice way

-Raiders and Super Mutants hesitate to hurt you (less accurate)

-Raiders (and maybe Super Mutants as well) will become your settlers instead of normal people (this is more meant for when you have high Negative Karma)

-Increase in stealth, and able to steal things a little bit more easily

-Increase in accuracy (or AP regeneration) due to your maddening killing frenzies (though, this could also be a perk for Positive Karma :\ )

Again, these are just ideas, and I realize there might be some imbalance issues, but these are very much subject to change. But the overall idea is that the more positive you are in Karma, the more benefits you'll get out of people and companions, though the drawback being raiders and super mutants want to kill you a little bit more. And the more negative you are in Karma, the less you'll have to deal with raiders and super mutants, though the drawback being that people don't take kindly to you. That's the idea of balance I'm going for, and of course, tweaks, changes, adding, and taking out things are definitely open to thought to really make it feel like 2 different sides of the same coin.

If anyone has any ideas, please share, and I'll considering updating and adding it to the description here!

And if anyone thinks they can start to work on it now (get a head start kinda thing), and then really bring it home when the CK comes out, please let me know! I would love to track and follow the progress! I hope people find this an interesting (and good) way of implementing Karma back into Fallout, because I sure as hell miss it, and I believe this is a good way to at least bring something back that represents Karma :smile:

You do need the CK.

-Raiders will sometimes tend to ignore you (you're harder to be spotted by them)

-Raiders (and maybe Super Mutants as well) will become your settlers instead of n

This makes no sense, raider attack even other raiders. And how would they know if you done anything? And mutes hate all humans, just because you are bad, doesn't mean they won't eat you.

You do need the CK.

-Raiders (and maybe Super Mutants as well) will become your settlers instead of n

This makes no sense, raider attack even other raiders. And how would they know if you done anything? And mutes hate all humans, just because you are bad, doesn't mean they won't eat you.

Again, as I said, these are just ideas. And since when are we going to bring in strict logic like "how would the raiders know what you did" to an RPG game? If you have better, more logical ideas, that could be incorporated as "bad karma", then please present them

Also, Virgil is a mutie, and he doesn't hate humans. Same as Strong. There's also Fawkes from Fallout 3

Edited by The10thJinchuuriki