amakachao

I need help with my scripts.

I have a long story so to cut it short I will say that I successfully got a wolf to follow me in an unmodded save by using this tutorial.

After playing for a bit, successfully trading things with him, telling him to wait and follow, telling him to attack Anise the witch, watching him kill etc - I will click on him and none of his dialogue options will fire. I click on the words and they do not respond. He doesn't do any of the actions, the words to not disappear or even register they have been clicked on. No response from the dialogue menu.

Absolutely none.

I've cleaned him with Tes5Edit and backed up. When I try to to create an SEQ file for him Tes5edit tells me:

Skipped: MODSkollFollower.esp doesn't need sequence file
[Create SEQ file done] Processed Plugins: 1, Sequence Files Created: 0

I do not have AFT or any follower mods running. I have the DLC, USLEEP, the high res texture packs, the patch for those, and SkyUI running. It is a brand new character, I created him by using coc in the console in the main menu so he's the default Nord named "Prisoner". I have unpacked the Skyrim-scripts.rar and I have redownloaded skse's scripts as well so I am not getting the Tesv papyrus flag error.

I know there is another method for creating followers using Quest Stages but I want him to eventually be compatible with AFT.

Is there another tutorial I can follow?

My posts detailing the struggle I've been having: 1 2 3

Thank you for your time.

Edited by amakachao

I gather your using the vanilla follower dialogue and your esp doesn't contain any dialogue itself.

That's the reason no SEQ file is generated for your esp.

(I cant check that tuturial as I don't do video tuts, not enough bandwidth to waste).

The reason your dialogue locks up (unselectable dialogue when it shows) is you've not added the voice type to follower voice type lists.

Other reasons it can also happen is the race or voice type isn't flagged for dialogue with player.

Quick in game workaround when the dialogue ismn't selectable is QuickSave and then Quickload, the dialogue will temporary work again until it does it again later.

Most cases i've seen this happen is when the race or voice type isn't flagged for player dialogue.

If using the vanilla follower dialogue then it also can happen if the voice type isn't added to the appropriate follower voice type lists.

Basically I talk to any wolf in the game (or any other creature) and ask them to follow using the vanilla follower dialogue.

i do this on the fly in game while playing without editing any vanilla quests, dialogue, actors, voice types or any other vanilla forms in CK.

Editing the vanilla form/quests/dialogues to add a custom follower is not a good way to add a custom follower, specially if other mods are editing those same vanilla forms/quests/dialogues.

Which at some point results in intermittent conflicts.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

The reason your dialogue locks up (unselectable dialogue when it shows) is you've not added the voice type to follower voice type lists.

Other reasons it can also happen is the race or voice type isn't flagged for dialogue with player.

Hello, Thank you for replying. I've added the script "defaultAllowPCDialogueScript" in the actor window. And I've checked the box "Allow PC Dialogue" in the race window.

I didn't edit the vanilla DialogueFollower items for dogs, I added a new one. So in the CK there is a new entry in the DialogueFollowerDismiss (and in FavorState, Follow, Trade, Wait).

Quick in game workaround when the dialogue ismn't selectable is QuickSave and then Quickload, the dialogue will temporary work again until it does it again later.

This will work when it happens in other people's mods but not my own.

Most cases i've seen this happen is when the race or voice type isn't flagged for player dialogue.

If using the vanilla follower dialogue then it also can happen if the voice type isn't added to the appropriate follower voice type lists.

What are voice type lists? How do I add to it?

Basically I talk to any wolf in the game (or any other creature) and ask them to follow using the vanilla follower dialogue.

i do this on the fly in game while playing without editing any vanilla quests, dialogue, actors, voice types or any other vanilla forms in CK.

How do you do this? Is it a mod? Could you please link to it?

I have several scripts in my skyrim/data/scripts folder, all ending in .pex and I have corresponding scripts in the skyrim/data/scripts/source folder ending in .psc for each type of dialogue.

So for Dismiss it says:

Scriptname WolfSkollDismiss Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;PROPERTY

Quest Property pDialogueFollower  Auto

;FUNCTION

Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
    Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
    (pDialogueFollower as DialogueFollowerScript).DismissAnimal()
EndFunction
;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment
;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname WolfSkollDismiss Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_0
;BEGIN CODE
(pDialogueFollower as DialogueFollowerScript).DismissAnimal()
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin comment

And for Favor it says

;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname WolfSkollFavor Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN CODE
akspeaker.SetDoingFavor()
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

For Follow

;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname WolfSkollFollow Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN CODE
(GetOwningQuest() as DialogueFollowerScript).AnimalFollow()
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

For Trade

;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname WolfSkollTrade Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN CODE
akspeaker.OpenInventory()
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

For Wait

;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname WolfSkollWait Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN CODE
(GetOwningQuest() as DialogueFollowerScript).AnimalWait()
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

And a Script for "Skoll is now following" message that appears every time i hit E

Scriptname WolfSkollScript extends ObjectReference    

;PROPERTIES

DialogueFollowerScript Property DialogueFollower Auto
GlobalVariable Property PlayerAnimalCount Auto
Message Property FollowerMessage Auto

;EVENT

Auto State Waiting
Event onActivate(objectReference AkActivator)
    If PlayerAnimalCount.GetValueInt() == 0
        (DialogueFollower as DialogueFollowerScript).SetAnimal(self)
        FollowerMessage.show()
    EndIf
EndEvent
EndState

State Done
EndState

I think there needs to be something done to the scripts, some way of telling the first following message to only display once and then something that refreshes the rest so they don't get locked up? I don't know anything about scripting, these scripts come from the tutorial and were copy/pasted or auto generated by the CK in the "Edit Source" field of each dialogue option.

Sorry to bump this,

My main questions are now:

The dialogue locking up, is this a question of what is in my scripts? Could I please have a look over my scripts? They are in the above post in the spoiler section.

And

How do I get the "follow me" to fire just once? If you download the Eevee mod, you will notice that every time you talk to Eevee it does NOT say "Eevee is now following" it only happens the first time. But in my mod it says that every time as if every time I click on the wolf it is just now starting to follow me. I'm not talking about asking it to wait and then to follow again I'm saying that I click on it initially, it is following, and then i click on it again (like to open inventory or something) and it says "Skoll is now following" every time.

Also

How do I get it to stop equipping the things I give? If you download the Eevee mod, it does not equip the items you give it. This is especially important because if an animal equips a shield it will stand there and not bite enemies.

I've messaged the creator of Eevee a few days ago and haven't gotten a response...

If someone knows of an UP TO DATE animal follower tutorial I'd really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...