Really good mod idea

thefoxisamsome

Wow, these textures are far more twisted up than I realized to apply to the mesh. Sorry it's taking so long but I'm having to map out which parts of the texture are applying to which parts of the model and it's never what you expect. Grognak is almost finished though and once I've got that template figured out though, getting the alternate versions done will be much easier.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, these textures are far more twisted up than I realized to apply to the mesh. Sorry it's taking so long but I'm having to map out which parts of the texture are applying to which parts of the model and it's never what you expect. Grognak is almost finished though and once I've got that template figured out though, getting the alternate versions done will be much easier.

Is it some sort of trim sheet they are using for more models than just the computer terminal, or did they just use a sloppy unwrap method?

It sounds like you have this under control though, but if you want me to open up the 3d model and mark things just let me know.

I'm trying to think of what kind of assets could be modeled for the room to help make a really cool arcade feel for a building in my settlement. It looks like Bethesda is already planning on adding neon signs with the Wasteland Workshops DLC, so maybe I should just wait before I go model a bunch of stuff. I just scrapped my Mechanist Power Armor and Robobrain models I was working on because they won't be needed when Bethesda releases Automatron.

Maybe I will just go back to designing more fruit for another idea I had...

I like this idea and think it will add a bit of uniqueness to the game that the upcoming DLC may not address. Hopefully you guys keep up on it, I'd install this mod. The blank holotape idea is pretty neat too. Just thinking about how you could expand on it to weave into the game and not just be a novelty. Maybe you could add an NPC who pays caps for terminal data, like how you could sell mapping data to Reilly in FO3.

Is it some sort of trim sheet they are using for more models than just the computer terminal, or did they just use a sloppy unwrap method?

It sounds like you have this under control though, but if you want me to open up the 3d model and mark things just let me know.

I'm trying to think of what kind of assets could be modeled for the room to help make a really cool arcade feel for a building in my settlement. It looks like Bethesda is already planning on adding neon signs with the Wasteland Workshops DLC, so maybe I should just wait before I go model a bunch of stuff. I just scrapped my Mechanist Power Armor and Robobrain models I was working on because they won't be needed when Bethesda releases Automatron.

It just looks like it's a trim sheet, but it's done in really strange ways.

This one vertical strip of the texture is repeated one way immediately to the right of the screen, then a second time to the right of that strip for the top half while the bottom half of the vertical strip is from a spot further down. The left side of the screen only uses that vertical strip of texture once... Gah!

I'm finding where everything is, it's just driving me crazy trying to get any good artwork on here since so many textures are repeated (in random spots, showing half or less sometimes of the full texture) over and over again. The left and right sides of the machine are mirror images, meaning I can't put any text on there without it appearing backwards. I'm really having to work around the texture layout and base my design on that, rather than just making it how I'd originally planned, but I'm getting there.

And yeah, it's hard to know what to work on with mods when the DLC is going to be coming out so soon and it sounds like it'll really be changing the base game features quite a lot.

It just looks like it's a trim sheet, but it's done in really strange ways.

This one vertical strip of the texture is repeated one way immediately to the right of the screen, then a second time to the right of that strip for the top half while the bottom half of the vertical strip is from a spot further down. The left side of the screen only uses that vertical strip of texture once... Gah!

I'm finding where everything is, it's just driving me crazy trying to get any good artwork on here since so many textures are repeated (in random spots, showing half or less sometimes of the full texture) over and over again. The left and right sides of the machine are mirror images, meaning I can't put any text on there without it appearing backwards. I'm really having to work around the texture layout and base my design on that, rather than just making it how I'd originally planned, but I'm getting there.

And yeah, it's hard to know what to work on with mods when the DLC is going to be coming out so soon and it sounds like it'll really be changing the base game features quite a lot.

Well, I haven't been planning on importing anything into the game until the Creation Kit was released... But if you need me to I can just do a totally new unwrap of the model. Problem is, it would then have to be imported into the game as a totally new mesh.

Most of what I work on right now is writing npc dialogue, because the chances of Bethesda or another modder creating the same character is pretty much zero. I want to make the settlements feel more alive with people you actually care about defending. People that actually have personality and change up your settlements with the skills they bring to the table. Skills you get use of through completing parts of my 4 quests.

When I first thought about having an arcade with individual machines, I was thinking of it being a reward for befriending the character that was at the time 'The Mechanist', as he is a programmer who is obsessed with comics and videogames to the point where he takes on the identity of a vigilante. Now he is a totally different anti-hero in the Silver Shroud plot line of my mod.

My real skill is 3d modeling, but like I said, I don't really like to import stuff before the Creation Kit and the proper tools are all up and working. I'm used to working on projects from scratch in Unreal and Cryengine as opposed to trying to mod a game that isn't meant to be modded yet, so I am a bit out of my range of knowledge without the Creation Kit.

Well, I haven't been planning on importing anything into the game until the Creation Kit was released... But if you need me to I can just do a totally new unwrap of the model. Problem is, it would then have to be imported into the game as a totally new mesh.

Most of what I work on right now is writing npc dialogue, because the chances of Bethesda or another modder creating the same character is pretty much zero. I want to make the settlements feel more alive with people you actually care about defending. People that actually have personality and change up your settlements with the skills they bring to the table. Skills you get use of through completing parts of my 4 quests.

When I first thought about having an arcade with individual machines, I was thinking of it being a reward for befriending the character that was at the time 'The Mechanist', as he is a programmer who is obsessed with comics and videogames to the point where he takes on the identity of a vigilante. Now he is a totally different anti-hero in the Silver Shroud plot line of my mod.

My real skill is 3d modeling, but like I said, I don't really like to import stuff before the Creation Kit and the proper tools are all up and working. I'm used to working on projects from scratch in Unreal and Cryengine as opposed to trying to mod a game that isn't meant to be modded yet, so I am a bit out of my range of knowledge without the Creation Kit.

Unfortunately I have very few skills in the 3d modeling area. I understand the logic of how they work and I've made some basic geometries in 3dsMax before, however nothing as advanced as the animated meshes in a game like Fallout. That's why I've been sticking with retexturing since that's more within my skill set.

I'd prefer to work with a clean unwrap since that would allow me to actually uniquely work on each part of the item without worrying about it being duplicated elsewhere, however as I understand it importing a new mesh is extremely difficult at the moment without the construction kit. If you can do it and it wouldn't be too much trouble then I'd certainly appreciate the expanded options that would give me with the design, but I completely understand if everyone else would rather stay with the original mesh. I can still certainly make something with the existing meshes (almost finished Grognak now), the restrictions close off some options but there's still plenty I can do with just a retexture.

I like the sound of making some unique people to populate the settlements. I've been planning out some similar ideas as well while I wait for the GECK.

The problem isnt so much custom meshes, but the collision and animations that normally come with them. Without the CK we're stuck copying them over from other things :sad:

Would that be a problem if we're using the same model with a new unwrap? The 3d shape should be the same, would the collision and animations still line up correctly?

I ask because working with this is slowly driving me up the wall. Here's how it's mapping the textures. I've overlayed it with a regular grid of hexagons and a diagonal spectrum of colours so you can see the distortions clearly.

http://i.imgsafe.org/bdcfd56.jpg[