New game button doesn't work.

So this is sort of a weird issue, I have no problem loading my old saves or playing the game. However, when trying to start a new game, after saying yes to overwriting my autosave... nothing happens. The game acts like I hit no and simply returns to the main menu. I've tried without any mods loaded and still the same thing. Any ideas?

How long since you last started a new game when it did work? And did you install any new mods in the interim? Even though you might not active a new plugin sometimes installing it overrides default files, that's why I ask. Edited by drakeelvin

It has been quite a while since I started a new game, and I did add some mods between now and then. As far as I remember, Electro City, More Perks, Nevada Skies, and I believe that's it. Nothing I'd expect to mess around with starting a game.

I wish I had an idea but sadly none. A lot of things changed in 1.3 and info about anything other than weapon changes seems scarce.

The only other thing I've seen suggested previously is: rename your modded data folder then reinstall NV, then install your mods one by one to the clean data folder and try creating a new game with each add, until it breaks, then you'll know whats causing it. If you actually get all the way through then maybe this might even fix it. Pain in the backside troubleshooting this game.

Edited by drakeelvin

• 4 years later...

Way too many unknowns to really help you at this point. So let's gather some information. If you can't get a "true" vanilla game to work you have much bigger problems.

Where did you install the game? If you used the Steam default location ("C:\Program Files\..."), see the "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article in my signature, and move it out.

When you say you tried it on a completely vanilla game, did you just disable mods (which does not give you a vanilla game because you haven't removed mod installed files), or uninstall them and use Steam's "verify game files" function? If the latter. did you remember to rename/delete the INI files in your "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" folder first?

Have you tried moving/renaming your current "Saves" folder and creating a new one (under the "Users" path above), and then tried creating a new game again?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 1 year later...
Same issue.. I am going through one by one... Even moved all my game saves to see if that was it.. This even happened on consoles once and that fixed it.. Not here though

• 2 years later...