lessons to learn from NV Game Stabilizer?

There are about 4600 collision markers in the base game.

In FalloutNV.esm there are 2760. It appears the the Stabilizer mod adds ~2k

The 'injecting' thing. I think it's where you are using an 'unused' EditorID in the main esm. I don't know why you would *need* to do this though, but as it is a 'Note' and not a 'Warning' I guess it is harmless. (BTW, The Community bugfix 'injects' a skillbook into DeadMoney)

The 'injecting' thing. I think it's where you are using an 'unused' EditorID in the main esm. I don't know why you would *need* to do this though, but as it is a 'Note' and not a 'Warning' I guess it is harmless. (BTW, The Community bugfix 'injects' a skillbook into DeadMoney)

You're probably right.

If you ever do run into an instance where you inject an object into a plugin that will has the same FormID, it has happened to me a few times, it will override whatever the original FormID item was, pending on what you decide in FNVEdit. I don't believe that's the case here... so... I'm not sure why it needs to be injected in the first place if it could just be, like davidallen, said in its own plugin, and be overriding. Perhaps it's a performance-related thing?

Edited by skyline99

In this hijacked thread there are instructions by ccmechanic2 on how to produce the fixed mod. I followed these instructions on a tiny 1K mod; the only change in this mod is to move the gurney in Doc Mitchell's house. When you click "new game" you can immediately see this change in your field of view.

The "force finalize all spaces" step took about 10 minutes on my machine. I saved my mod and the resulting file was 22 MB, which is about what the author and tunaisafish reported. Using fnvedit, I compared my mod to the stabilizer mod A2B, for the same six points as my original post.

1. My mod does not give any "injection" messages. So clearly something has been added to stabilizer rather than just following these instructions.

2. "Remove identical to master records" removes 9282 out of 12665 records and reduces the filesize to 2 MB. Consistent with previous results, but my mod contains 4K fewer changed records than the current stabilizer.

3. Collision marker geometry is not changed in my mod.

4. My mod does not contain any changed collision markers.

5. The changed navmeshes and doors such as SouthVegasAntMound appear to be the same between my mod and the stabilizer mod. But, for this type of data, it is not clear what good the change does; if it is just a slightly changed copy of the base navmesh, then it will introduce conflicts in other mods.

6. The changed door teleport location for the Gomorrah door does not appear in my mod.

So, the instructions by themselves seem to lead to #5 only, and it isn't clear what good this change does. The other changes #1, #3, #4, #6 are not caused by the instructions and we don't know how (or why) to make them appear.

[in FalloutNV.esm there are 2760. It appears the the Stabilizer mod adds ~2k

Hm, interesting point. I cannot easily tell how many vanilla markers were changed by stabilizer. If his point is that collision markers are bad, then adding 2K seems like an odd choice.

And that's what I'm wondering really.

Injecting is mainly only used for merging plugins together, to either bypass the plugin limit, or for simply less plugins. I haven't found any other uses for injecting other than that. And when you do inject items into a plugin, it's generally all of it, not just a select few. The only exceptions would be when it refers a master object. In that case, it would be copying the item as an override to the plugin above.

This ^

An injected record is not going to be available to any other plugin during run-time, because of mod isolation.

• 2 weeks later...

Now we have this explanation. Apparently collision markers are used to store freed data, which builds up over time, and making them persistent causes the freed data to be actually freed. This does not make sense to me either. Anybody?

In related news, please be careful not to attract the banhammer as in post #534 on that thread. I feel similar, but more polite.

Edited by davidlallen

I always thought that making an object persistent made it stay in memory. Not sure how that would help a game engine that chronically runs out of memory and crashes.