lessons to learn from NV Game Stabilizer?

I always thought that making an object persistent made it stay in memory. Not sure how that would help a game engine that chronically runs out of memory and crashes.

reverse this analogy and apply it. Default settings verses my changes. what are the differences? Hence we now control what gets processed instead of allowing what ever to go wild. We tell the engine to do our bidding reducing ram demand, acceleration begins.

What all of you are completely over looking is one simple fact. your analyzing my programing instead of analyzing the source. The engine it's self and why and what it does. Never the less, this is a good guide and discussion. It was meant to do what it is doing. you are learning.

I will point you in the right direction here, Why does the engine use my commands differently over default. #2 Why does the GECK using the engine place the objects in to the file in the first place. Remember, it is the software combination that creates the file, I set the parameters up so it has a pattern to follow. The rest is automated. You ask Bethesda Why it does this, I only know it does it according to whats in the engine. Do this with fo3, I will provide you with the preliminary files if you wish. you may find a totally different out come. The patch changed many things the geck produced. the newer files reflect the changes they did. NOT " I "

• 2 weeks later...

A lesson I learned from a high school English teacher.

If you cannot explain it, then you do not know it.

- Mr. Dave Nelson

Yes your Quite right, You do not know.

• 1 month later...

What concerns me here is this: Persistent references are stored in memory. Not only that, but the location - and by location I mean the exact position in game - of every single persistent reference, is stored in your save game. Now, herein lies the potential for disaster:

If one mod moves a persistent reference at all, no matter how little, this information is stored in save games. If you then uninstall the mod, the location of the changed persistent reference in your save game no longer matches the position of the reference in the game world. This leads to CTD's.

I will refrain from offering opinions from here as I can see this is a sensitive subject. This is what I know of persistent references and Gamebryo, tested and verified. So I shall let it at that and allow others to consider the wisdom of adding thousands of new persistent references to the game world.

Edit: Also, what is a "game engine offset?" You mention these in other posts regarding this mod, ccmechanic and I am just wondering what a Game Engine Offset is. Thanks.

Edited by BlackCompany

What concerns me here is this: Persistent references are stored in memory. Not only that, but the location - and by location I mean the exact position in game - of every single persistent reference, is stored in your save game. Now, herein lies the potential for disaster:

If one mod moves a persistent reference at all, no matter how little, this information is stored in save games. If you then uninstall the mod, the location of the changed persistent reference in your save game no longer matches the position of the reference in the game world. This leads to CTD's.

I will refrain from offering opinions from here as I can see this is a sensitive subject. This is what I know of persistent references and Gamebryo, tested and verified. So I shall let it at that and allow others to consider the wisdom of adding thousands of new persistent references to the game world.

Edit: Also, what is a "game engine offset?" You mention these in other posts regarding this mod, ccmechanic and I am just wondering what a Game Engine Offset is. Thanks.

An example, though mediocre , resides in the New Vegas mod gallery of a hexedit version of my mod done by another and one done by me. The one done by ME was a mod NOT altered, The one done By the other WAS altered and was passed off as not. Regardless of the issue there, I was not pleased with that attempt at misdirection by that person, BUT, it does server to answer your question here, Sir, you are the very first person on this site to actually ask a right question, That cod in a hex format is set by assembly of the file. Change the file, in any way, the OFF set gets changed. This can be seen very plainly in those two shots. It will help you understand Me. No, I was not impressed by that authors attempt with that shot. But I will use it none the less to show others. Ok, now, you install some thing into the game that hooks into the executable in ram, this changes the engines offset too, It must, and it does, otherwise , nothing happens. the collision markers are set as free and open, they are a static item. they are NEVER moved. If an author does as you say and physicality moves that item, then it is that authors mod that is at fault and not what I do, Yes, that potential does exist for disaster in a saved game just as you said. But persistence is an anchor my friend, It makes all of them stay put, it makes them fixed. IF some one else moves them, Am I to be held responsible for their actions for modifying and item they should not be touching in the first place?

A very good example of a marker movement can be done directly in front of the GNR building in fallout 3. A default game in the geck will have two long barriers there, they are black in color, the mirror web site in my mod for fo3 has the screen shot that shows them. You move them any where on the grid, even in game feet 2 feet, you move the icons in the pipboy map. Yes that's right, So any one dumb enough to move a collision marker will simply show that they have no Idea what it is they are messing with. No, these items are static and are not to be moved ever, They are anchors for the mapping of the game, they get used by the games engine for what ever it needs, All I do is make sure of it, that's all, I give it focus. Now, if folks delete these items, well, you might as well delete every thing in the game and make your own.