Modeling Question.

xXHertzyXx

So, i have made a rifle in 3ds Max 2016 and I am soon moving on to the low-poly/texturing steps. The tutorial I am following is not for Fallout specifically. In fact, it is a professional tutorial made for a modelers personal portfolio. But walks through these steps (Base controls, high-poly, low-poly, unwrapping, texturing).

What exactly, if any, things need to be done to get this gun into fallout? I'm speaking of course in regards to size and the such. My gun looks the right size in its parts, but should i be importing a weapon asset to scale my rifle too? that way i can use similar reload animations in the game? Or is this unnecessary with nifskope? (which i also have to relearn)

Also, should certain parts of the rifle be connected? I have the stock, lower receiver, magazine (with 2 separate bullets inside the mag), the upper receiver with the barrel unattached, the sight, and the trigger group are all separate pieces..

Invariably, I intend to add mods for this gun..i.e. stock variants, sight variants, barrel variants..i'm not sure if textures can be changed in game also, but if so those as well.. I just have no idea how to go about these. Do i make them a whole separate model project? or maybe make them along side the rifle for scale...I'm confused..

anyways, any help would prove very useful, and i look forward to helping make mods for those who need them. '

Thanks

Depends on what weapon you plan to use as base for it and what mods are you planning on having a separate model. The Nifskope allows modifying the scale and position of the model, but it's always easier to work on things that are already the correct size and are at the correct position. Personally I've found it easiest to make the models for the mods as part of the gun, have them as separate object in the exported file and then just separate them into a different .nifs when you're setting the weapon mod models up with Nifskope. What comes to combining the parts, if it doesn't need to move as separate part like bolt, or doesn't need to be changeable with mod, it's recommended to combine it as this reduces the amount of shapes that need to be set up in Nifskope. You can work with each part as separate object if you want to, but the less parts you have, the clearer it is.

The game supports material swapping that allows you to change the textures and material settings for the weapon.