Too many requirements

Okidey

Hi! I just wanted to say that..

A) This modding community is AWESOME!!! So many mods here it's insane! I think I like modding my Skyrim more then just playing only, the possibilities to changing the game to my personal likings are endless and there is always something to improve or adjust. It's just awesome!

B) Unfortunatly, more and more I'm noticing how many other dependancies and requirements the mods are needing anymore. So many mods that have their lists of other requirements of other mods that have their own lists of requirements and dependancies, it's becoming a regular thing to be directed from 1 mod to another to another to actually make just 1 mod functional. I'm no dummy and I'm farmiliar with the basic ways modding my Skyrim, but it's becoming too overwhelming for me to get a picture of what 1 mod really does and what exactly is included (or not) and keeping track of all the various other mods that I have to download and install along side of them. If I do get some error or CDT, I have no idea where to look for it anymore and don't really feel like taking my time in trying to debugging everything that evolves around the mods so I just give up on it and just take the entire load of related mods out again.

So..I realise how much work is being put in creating these mods and I'm not going to request to change the ways of how they are being created or offered to users, but I do wish that installing these mods could be simplified some or simply contained into just 1 or 2 packages to make them work.

It's the reason I miss out on most the top end mods.

I see the list of required mods for something I like and I just instantly lose interest in the mod and move on.

There are very few exception I've made to not getting caught up in the dependency rubbish just for 1 mod.

Any other mods I just write for myself and I try to avoid anything more then SKSE, SkyUI and PapyrusUtil as a dependency.

There's really some awesome mods I'd like to try, but not at the expense of installing multiple other mods that require multiple other mods that require multiple other mods...etc

My loss, but that's the way it goes.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Exactly, I see so many mods that I would really want to try out too. First thing I do is scroll right down to the requirements section and a lot of the time it's just discouraging to see how many other mods are required to actually make them functional. If the mod is interesting enough I might try it anyway but then I find in the download section how many patches and compatibility patches are added, plus they are often very long lists of seperate and different downloads that I only find out that they are required compatibility patches if I scroll down the lists far enough to read them and find out that how many are required.

Constructing these mods is no simple thing I realise this and I am in no way skilled enough to really understand of how they are constructed, so I simply accept my limitations and leave it there. But somewhere I just hope that maybe I'm not the only one experiencing the growing complexity of getting them to work and maybe a solution may still be possible. Untill then I will have to restrict myself to using the ones that are practical enough for me to actually try out.

• 1 year later...

yes... I am finding this out the hard way. I cant get any good mods anymore because. This mod requires 4 other mods. Those other 4 mods have their own list of 4 other mods that you need and those mods require other mods. By the time you get the 1 mod you want you've downloaded like 25 mods. This is largely due to glory whores who will freak out if you so much as add a ruby texture from one of their mods into your own... So in order to USE that ruby texture you have to download his entire mod... and his mod is also linked to other mods because he too borrowing from another modders... so on and so forth. This has gotten out of hand and I think its time we get together as a family and seriously consider some new rules of engagement. Id say as long as there is a detailed credit list everything should be fine. I mean... Are we friends and family? Or are we bitter rivals?

mean like.. serious this is getting out of control. because all these "Missing" mods, you download them and they have their own Huge list of "Missing" mods and you down load those and they TOO have a huge list of "Missing" mods and you... get the point....

by the time you have a functional skyrim you're past your active mods limit... I'm at 310 mods right now and I cant even get skyrim to launch by because I still have an army of mods that I still need to get in order to get the ones I have to be functional... And once I download those. I'll have an army more of mods to download. This has got to stop guys. Either be original, or if your not... Package the files as 1 mod, and Give credit. This is getting really old really fast. Users are getting trapped in a cycle of downloading mods to get 1 more working and downloaded other mods to get those working and then you need a mod to get this mod to work so that this mod works so that the other mod will work so that...

I started my day with the intention of 50 mods. I'm at 310 now and the problem isnt getting solved its just growing and growing...

Do you see how this is annoying?

Package the files as 1 mod, and Give credit.

This can be done only with permission from the creator of the prerequisite mod. You may think that simply giving credit is enough, but a lot of people disagree. Mod authors have the ability to decide whether their mods can be used freely or not, and redistributed or not. Sure, for some, restricting the use of their assets may be for vanity, they want their mod page to be seen and noticed, but that is far from the only reason to do this. For example, let's a mod were updated to fix a number of bugs, add new features, increase performance, etc, and that mod had been a prerequisite for several other mods. If those other mods had included that prerequisite within their own downloads, instead of directing users to download the prerequisite from the source, then from that point on, anyone downloading one of those mods would be getting an out-of-date version of the prerequisite, until such time that the other mods' authors updated their files. This creates potential problems for users, encountering bugs that have since been fixed, and mod authors, potentially getting blamed for issues that have already been fixed.

Simple solution - don't use said mods.

Simple solution 2 - learn how to merge so you don't get swamped by plugins

Simple solution 3 - Don't install 300 mods without a care in the world.

Simple solution - don't use said mods.

Simple solution 2 - learn how to merge so you don't get swamped by plugins

--

Being a smart ass solves nothing.

Simple solution 3 - Don't install 300 mods without a care in the world.

I was FORCED to download that many cause every mod requires 1-5 mods in order for it to work. It wasnt part of the plan.